I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

What do you mean by not losinf any weight.. This has not been easy I have lost 20lbs just waiting for my surgery... By-Pass IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT. Its very hard. it is just a tool and not that easy.

:confused: I think you Misinterpreted what I typed and I wasn't typing it directly to you but giving my insight.

And actually I'm more or less talking about myself. I am morbidly obese myself. The way I see it is..I can take a risk and keep being obese and not do a damn thing about so yes that's a risk I'm already taking. But If I do surgery then yeah hopefully the TOOL will help me but because it is in fact surgery and everyone's bodies react differently - I'm taking a risk there too.

Nobody said here that I remember that it was easy. Good for you for losing 20lbs before sugery...and I'm on my way to needing to lose over 40lbs that's required before I even have my surgery.

:rolleyes:

I was headed for lapband surgery and my insurance was not going to pay for the surgery. My Dr. insisted I lose 40 lbs before surgery. He recommended Ideal Protein weight loss. Believe it or not, the weight loss was so fast (avg. 4 lbs per week) that I decided to skip the surgery and stick to their program. I'm getting really close to my goal weight. The food program actually tasted good. There is a mixture of protein supplements (really yummy!) along with veggies, salads and meat. I feel better than I have in years!

Now, lets talk cost. It runs about $400 per month. For me, when I compare the cost to the surgery, it was a bargain. You pay as you go with the weight loss. I had 130 lbs to lose. At 4 lbs per week average for me, the total cost will be $3200. (and I didn't have to suffer the surgery. I proud that I did it on my own, too.

If you want my coach's name and number, send me a note. SHe was wonderful, tough when she needed to be and really cares about my success. She's also handled my sister's weight loss and just mails her supplements to her. I'm sure she could find another coach for you in another area. Thefreshplate@gmail.com

Best of luck. Hope this helps. I'l be in a bathing suit on my next cruise! :cool:

So far the closest I've come to dumping was after eating at a chinese buffet. I was really careful to only pick chicken, crab legs, brocoli and I scraped the filling out of cream cheese wontons and eggroll but after eating there I felt kind of woozy and got all hot and cold sweats and clammy. Felt nauseus too but didn't vomit. I'm thinking there was probably sugar in some of the sauces I picked the meat out of. Either way, I kind of lost my taste for chinese foods at least for now.

Jesus. :eek: Eating at a Chinese buffet is one of the WORST places you can eat. I hope everyone here learns that lesson easier than you did.

Jesus. :eek: Eating at a Chinese buffet is one of the WORST places you can eat. I hope everyone here learns that lesson easier than you did.

I'm sure she knows that now. ;)

In some ways I think that's a benefit from the gastric bypass. After you feel sick like that..you most likely will not want it again. Awful way to get you too stop eating things that are bad for you but if that's what it will take then I think it's a benefit. Of course not all people will see it that way but I do.

I haven't even had the surgery yet but I can say that some years back when I tried Ben and Jerry's Ice cream...I was toilet bound for 3 whole days. It was terrible.:(

Haven't touched B&J's since and have no craving too. :)

I didn't know that, at my support group meetings alot of people talk about eating chinese with no problems so I figured I'd give it a try.... So yes, I hope others here learn from my mistake. But I also know we're all different and what some people can tolerate, others can't.

I didn't know that, at my support group meetings alot of people talk about eating chinese with no problems so I figured I'd give it a try.... So yes, I hope others here learn from my mistake. But I also know we're all different and what some people can tolerate, others can't.

I wasn't talking specifically about people that have had this surgery (I have not but know many that have had it). What I meant was, ANYONE that decides to start a lifestyle of healthy eating, should never be going into a Chinese buffet to eat, anymore than they should sit down to breakfast at IHOP or Denny's. It shouldn't be about what you can "tolerate". It should be about what is healthy food. :cool:

I wasn't talking specifically about people that have had this surgery (I have not but know many that have had it). What I meant was, ANYONE that decides to start a lifestyle of healthy eating, should never be going into a Chinese buffet to eat, anymore than they should sit down to breakfast at IHOP or Denny's. It shouldn't be about what you can "tolerate". It should be about what is healthy food. :cool:

You don't need to "NOT" go to a resturant in order to eat healthy...unless you absolutley cannot use restraint ordering non healthy foods but in weight loss you really have too.

It's all about making healthy choices. You can still go to most places and choose healthier, smaller options.

Most resturants will glady modify your order to fit your specific needs.

You don't need to "NOT" go to a resturant in order to eat healthy...unless you absolutley cannot use restraint ordering non healthy foods but in weight loss you really have too.

It's all about making healthy choices. You can still go to most places and choose healthier, smaller options.

Most resturants will glady modify your order to fit your specific needs.

Damn straight you do when you had SURGERY on yourself to try to replace the restraint you don't have. My point it that anyone with a weight problem needs to LEARN about the types of food served at restaurants. Yes...there are many that you should not even darken the doorway. Absolutely.

Damn straight you do when you had SURGERY on yourself to try to replace the restraint you don't have. My point it that anyone with a weight problem needs to LEARN about the types of food served at restaurants. Yes...there are many that you should not even darken the doorway. Absolutely.

You are making a pretty big assumption that I had the surgery because I lacked the will power to eat correctly... trust me, when I went to WW or a nutritionist, I had to eat twice as much as I usually ate and my meals have consisted of mostly protein, fruits and vegetables for the last 35 years. There are other reasons to have the surgery.

Even going to the chinese buffet, I chose chicken, seafood and brocolli to eat, thinking I was choosing correctly, it was lack of information, not lack of will power. I knew to stay away from the fried dishes and didn't think I was eating anything sweet and my total consumption was less than 1/2 cup.

I'm very happy for you that you were able to lose a significant amount of weight without resorting to having surgery, I hope you never reach a point in your life where that no longer works for you.

Anyone else ever have this or the lap band done?

I had gastric bypass surgery five years ago. Best thing I've ever done for myself... I will say it's not for everyone, and you have to follow the rules for it to be successful. I was lucky and had ZERO complications, but I've known people who have encountered every complication they mention. You really do need to prepare yourself.

I went from 340 at my highest to 190 at my lowest (from a size 28 to a size 14 - I might have made it to a 12 if I'd lost any of my thighs but no matter how much weight I lose, they never get smaller). I never wanted to get much smaller than that so I was THRILLED.

I've gained some weight back, back to a size 16, both due to laziness and due to medication, but I figure now I'm like everyone else. :-P

I've go up and down between 215 and 225 but I really would like to get back down to 190. I was happy, healthy, and looked great at that weight!

Well, I am up 3 pounds after a 5 day cruise. Knowing my weight can change was much as 2 pounds a day I wouldn't be surprised if I gained most of that the last travel day and not on the cruise as we had a lot of down time with nothing to do and only bad food choices available.

As promised, we did hit the gym every day. I was a fairly good long distance runner in high school (30 years ago) and I actually got out and ran 2 miles at a time on the running track. I loved it!

For those who may not remember, I had lap band surgery in Decemeber and had lost 55 pounds before cruise. I did have two bad experiences with food on this cruise. Normally as soon as we get on the ship, my cell phone gets turned off until we get back. This time I left it on because we were waiting for my sister and her husband to join us. They were flying in from Pennsylvania. While enjoying a relaxing first lunch on board, the phone rang and I thought it was them. Turned out it was one my customers calling for advice. This totally distracted me and I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. I took a big bite of chicken, swallowed, and it got stuck. My wife recognized what was going on and I told her I had to get up and walk. That frequently helps. While walking I came to a station where they sell the unlimited soda packages that we always get. However, we had talked it out and were not going to do that this year. They did however sell a bottled water package that I decided to buy. Those of you in weight loss surgery programs know the importance of water. While filling out the paperwork for the water, I realized the blockage wasn't going to clear on its own by just walking. I was in considerable pain and started a profuse cold sweat. I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, but didn't fill out the paperwork correctly. I began to get worried that they would think I was sick and I would get quarantined in my cabin for days. I finally did get out of there and headed to the bathroom with the intention of having to expel the blockage. Wouldn't you know it, there were 3 young boys in the bathroom just hanging out, which would become a theme for the week. We normally don't travel when there are so many kids on board. I finally had to clear the blockage and that chased them out of the bathroom. I quickly washed up and got out of there fast fearing a crew member was going to come looking for me.

The rest of the week we enjoyed the athlethic facilities and ate good healthy choices and occasional rewards and had a great time. On Thursday we had a dinner reservation for the "specialty" steak house. We were eating with my sister and her husband. I had chosed not to tell my side of the family about my surgery based on an ignorant remark made by my mother about my wife's surgery. I had successfully hidden the fact all week from them. However, I was real chatty while downing my onion soup and I should have known better, the cheese got stuck. Once again, slip out to the bathroom. And again kids hanging out in the same bathroom. When I came back, I had to explain where I was and about my surgery, and why I didn't tell them.

Aside from that, great cruise! I feel funny posting a message on a public forum about intentional vomiting, but I guess its appropriate here and most of you will understand.

Thanks Bill, I'm glad for the most part you made out okay... I guess that's why they stress at my support meetings to CHEW, CHEW, CHEW..... I'm only 2 months post-op from RNY so I'm still very careful about my chewing, your story will help reinforce that. I've not experienced anything getting stuck yet, but I've heard of people who had to go into the hospital and be operated on for swallowing something that was too big. You're lucky you had control of it.

Damn straight you do when you had SURGERY on yourself to try to replace the restraint you don't have.

Maybe that's the case for YOU but damn straight not for everyone. YES people need to learn what foods are out there, what's good bad...etc...but they should know that BEFORE even having surgery. :rolleyes:

There ARE people who have excellent restraint and some learn along the way. It's about finding and teaching yourself different ways to make a meal healthy...not just avoiding everything in restaurants..but like I said some people need to do that..maybe yourself included.

I for one..would not. I would absolutely find a way to make it work for me in the healthiest way possible.

Hi. I last posted that I was waiting for surgery approval. I got a call for approval, met the surgeon on Friday the 3rd, got a call the following Thursday the 9th that I was scheduled for Tuesday the 14th!! I barely had time to think. I got home today and I feel fine. The doctor said my surgery went really well.

Archived