I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

Welcome to the board Georgene.:D That's great that you've been able to keep your weight steady for the past couple of years. I liked the "no more hog" part.:rolleyes: I have finally hit the 100lb loss mark.:D:D If you would have asked me a year ago if I thought this was possible I would have said never in a million years. I am diabetic and had an appt 2 weeks ago with my doctor. My blood work results showed the same results as a non-diabetics.:eek: I am taking a very small amount of insulin now. It is fantastic imho. If it wasn't for the fact of part of my pancreas being nonfunctioning I wouldn't need to take any insulin anymore at all. But I'll never be able to get off of insulin completely. But I used to take at least 100 units a day, I now take 18 - 20 units. So the surgery has been well worth it. I think this surgery has helped so many people, I can't believe I waited so long to do it. Well, you have a good one, I'm sure you are starting to get excited about cruising again soon,

Sue

Glad to hear you had a good time and you even lost weight.:D If you listen to most people about cruising, is that even allowed?:eek: All kidding aside, that is fantastic. It must mean you are doing something right. Well, you have a good one, I'm sure there must be a million things that you have to do to get back into the boring, everyday life.:D

Sue

Eating on a cruise post op is fantastic. It is the one time where I can sit and enjoy leisurely meals while watching the ocean. I love seafood of any kind, shrimp, lobster and fish are all high in protein and so digestible. I can pretty much eat what I want, but not in huge portions. On a cruise I order different things and take a bite or two of each without feeling pressured to finish the plate. With food available all the time, it is easy to order small snacks throughout the day. Yum.

hello everyone. I keep forgetting to check in here to be honest so if anyone wants to chat please email me.

I had my surgery Aug 24, 09 Have lost 80 lbs. We got back off our cruise on Nov 15 lost 10 lbs on that cruise. WALK WALK WALK is the main key. Couldn't do the bread at all and so didn't push it, started off with shrimp as good protein, and always sent a lot back from main course. Did cheat some as the ice cream seemed to calm my tummy, so would take a few bites here and there for the comfort of the belly. Don't know why this works but notice that frozen yogurt of ice does the same thing at home.

I don't go back to doctor until March hoping to be in onederland when that time comes only 24 more lbs to go.

I'm sure if I ordered different things and only ate a few bites of each that I wouldn't have to feel bad about not finishing the plate. I'm sure my dh would take care of that for me.:D

Sue

And that is why both my husband and son have gained over 20 lbs each since I had surgery. :D :p :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
DD has lost 114 pounds in one year with the "sleeve". She eats anything she wants, in small portions of course. She exercises about 5 times a week. I am contemplating having surgery.

Good luck, my wife and I are both glad we did. She has lost more than 120, and I lost 78 and hit my goal weight. I am running in a 1/2 marathon tomorrow. We are looking forward to our 2nd post surgery cruise in 79 days. You can still enjoy the cruises.

I had gastric bypass a little over a year ago and I've lost 140 lbs.:D The only thing I'm dissapointed in is that I didn't do this years ago.:rolleyes: It has been a life saver. I've been able to reduce my insulin intake by 80 units a day, I'm off most of my other medications. I've even particapated in a 3 mile walk for charity that I never would have been able to do before. So I definetly say that if you are thinking about getting the surgery, talk to your doctor so that you make sure the surgery is right for you, and then go for it. But remember, it will only work if you make the changes that are necessary. You will have to watch what you eat and the amounts that you eat but it's not that hard. Maybe a little at first until you find out what type of foods agree with your body. Good luck and have a good one,

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
I am so glad I had the surgery i am down to 143 punds and a size 8

Hey ssatterly, haven't seen you on here for a while. I hadn't been on here either because of work. Just started back on here recently. It looks like you've been doing great with your weight.:D The only problem I've been having is now is it seems like I can't stop losing weight. I had wanted to get down to about 135 which I did, but now I'm down to 123. I'm starting to look too thin and bony, (which I never thought was possible):eek:. I've actually had to try and increase my food intake. I never thought that would be a problem for me. lol. Guess I need to go back to the doc and see if this is a common problem. But in the meantime, congratulations on your weight loss. :D Finally have gotten down to below 30 days for our cruise! YEA! You have a good one,

Sue

Hey ssatterly, haven't seen you on here for a while. I hadn't been on here either because of work. Just started back on here recently. It looks like you've been doing great with your weight.:D The only problem I've been having is now is it seems like I can't stop losing weight. I had wanted to get down to about 135 which I did, but now I'm down to 123. I'm starting to look too thin and bony, (which I never thought was possible):eek:. I've actually had to try and increase my food intake. I never thought that would be a problem for me. lol. Guess I need to go back to the doc and see if this is a common problem. But in the meantime, congratulations on your weight loss. :D Finally have gotten down to below 30 days for our cruise! YEA! You have a good one,

Sue

Yes it is common. Don't really increase the amount of food just increase the amount of calories

Yes it is common. Don't really increase the amount of food just increase the amount of calories

Actually what I meant was that I have been trying to increase calories, it's almost impossible to increase serving sizes.:eek: Plus I wouldn't want to undo everything that the surgery did. But I didn't know that this was a common problem so thanks for the answer. Guess I will just see what happens and try not to let my weight get down too low. But isn't it great to actually go into a clothing store and head for the regular size clothing for a change. Also just to have a better selection is also great. You have a good one, Sue

• 2 weeks later...

There, it only took 2 days for me to read all these posts. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for posting your experiences. I've been taking notes :)I am contemplating gastric bypass and have a couple of questions. When you lose so much weight I am assuming you have a lot of sagging skin? If you are exercising will that help ? Is it so bad that you feel you need surgery to get rid of the excess skin? It is so nice to hear all the positive comments here. My biggest problem, prob. the same as most, is I like to eat:( I am not certain I can commit to the life style change. Since my mom died at 59 with complications from heart and diabetes, I know I have to do something. Also, everyone doesn't mind stating their weight, would you be willing to share your age as well as weight loss? I realize these are very personal questions.

There, it only took 2 days for me to read all these posts. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for posting your experiences. I've been taking notes :)I am contemplating gastric bypass and have a couple of questions. When you lose so much weight I am assuming you have a lot of sagging skin? If you are exercising will that help ? Is it so bad that you feel you need surgery to get rid of the excess skin? It is so nice to hear all the positive comments here. My biggest problem, prob. the same as most, is I like to eat:( I am not certain I can commit to the life style change. Since my mom died at 59 with complications from heart and diabetes, I know I have to do something. Also, everyone doesn't mind stating their weight, would you be willing to share your age as well as weight loss? I realize these are very personal questions.

Hi Dall, I have no problems with answering your questions. I think it's much better to know all you can before the surgery, that way you can make sure that this is actually something you want to do. I am down to 122 lbs so I have lost 147 lbs.:eek: And yes I do have some sagging skin. I have some on my arms, (but some is from getting older), I have a little on the inside of my thighs, some on my belly and butt, and the girls aren't quite as perky anymore.:rolleyes: It's not enough that the expense of plastic surgery out weighs the need. Of course I am 53 and married so that may have some to do with the decision. Also I don't want to do anything until I am done losing weight. You said you are afraid you couldn't adjust to the change in lifestyle. You do need to remember that you would have some help. It's not the same as just going on another diet. In this case you are actually full after a very small meal. So you are not going around hungry all the time. That really helps. Also I found that as you lose the weight that seems to inspire you to do more. I now ride an excercise bike and I wouldn't do that before the surgery. As you lose the weight it gets easier to do things so it's almost natural to increase what you do. Good luck to you and if you have any more questions you can always post here or if you would like to you can email me at kanitter1 at aol dot com. Either way you have a good one, Sue

Thank you Sue. You have done awesome in your weight loss!:) I appreciate your encouraging words. I would love to be able to bend over to tie my shoes, or just pick something up off the floor, its such a chore! It makes you feel even older than you are:(

Thank you Sue. You have done awesome in your weight loss!:) I appreciate your encouraging words. I would love to be able to bend over to tie my shoes, or just pick something up off the floor, its such a chore! It makes you feel even older than you are:(

I know what you mean. But it does feel good when you start losing it. My adult daughter laughed at me when I realized I could actually cross my legs the "lady like" way again. She said the look on my face was priceless. And I had to laugh at my grandson when I chased him around the kitchen table a while back, when I caught him he just looked at me for a minute and then said" You cheated, you never caught me before. How did you do that?" That was really when I knew I had made the right decision about the surgery. I'll be honest, since losing so much weight and doing so many things again that I haven't been able to do for so long, sometimes I honestly just want to sit and cry when I think how long I waited to do this. Sorry don't mean to sound like a commercial for gastric bypass but it really has made a difference in my life. You have a good one, Sue

I know what you mean. But it does feel good when you start losing it. My adult daughter laughed at me when I realized I could actually cross my legs the "lady like" way again. She said the look on my face was priceless. And I had to laugh at my grandson when I chased him around the kitchen table a while back, when I caught him he just looked at me for a minute and then said" You cheated, you never caught me before. How did you do that?" That was really when I knew I had made the right decision about the surgery. I'll be honest, since losing so much weight and doing so many things again that I haven't been able to do for so long, sometimes I honestly just want to sit and cry when I think how long I waited to do this. Sorry don't mean to sound like a commercial for gastric bypass but it really has made a difference in my life. You have a good one, Sue

That is priceless (what your grandson said).

• 1 month later...

Archived