Stingrays?

nicki_momof3

I have a 5 year old son that really wants to touch stingrays. I read they have a stingray / snorkle thing on CC but he can not snorkle and his sister also wants to participate but she is only 4.

Anyone know of anyother stingray activities - we are going to St. Thomas, CC, and Tortolia?

THanks

I have a 5 year old son that really wants to touch stingrays. I read they have a stingray / snorkle thing on CC but he can not snorkle and his sister also wants to participate but she is only 4.

Anyone know of anyother stingray activities - we are going to St. Thomas, CC, and Tortolia?

THanks

They have this in Grand Cayman, so if you do go on another cruise try to make sure one of the stops is to Grand Cayman.

Disney may have a minimum age requirement but many private tour companies do not have a minimum age.

We just did the stingray excursion in CC last week. I don't know if there is a minimum age.

They have 'stations' you stand around the rays swim up on them as you feed them. You could feed and pet the rays without snorkeling.

The barbs are removed at CC as the rays are captive, in Cayman they are wild. It would be a great excursion for younger kids if they are allowed.

You do not have to swim or snorkle to participate in Disney's stingray excursion. The water is very shallow and calm where you interact/feed/pet the rays. After that part you are free to snorkle out amongst the rays in the enclosed area or you can just hang closer to the shore.

I'm not sure what Disney's age requirement is but we had some pretty little/young ones in our group when we did it.

After getting off the ship you go over to the stingray shack at your appointment time. You are given a short orientation you are then led into the water no snorkeling involved yet. There are some wooden platforms that the rays have been trained to float over. You can touch them and you are given food that you feed them with. (You are told how to hold it so the rays can float over and take it).

After this, you are turned loose. You can either head back to the beach (the platforms are in shallow water). Or can start to snorkel.

Grand Cayman is a totally different experience. You take a boat out to a sand bar where you do the feeding. You definitely need the ability swim. The water can be anywhere from 4 feet to over your head. Based on what you said Grand Cayman would not be appropriate for your children.

As long as your children meet any age requirements that Disney has I would recommend doing it at CC. Doing the stingrays tour is one of our favorite things to do on a cruise. We have done it several times in Grand Cayman and once at CC

Archived