How can I get Rupees in Udaipur (India)?

F02

I plan to take a tour in India beginning in Udaipur. I would appreciate advice about how to get Indian Rupees. Is there anything particular about usage of ATMs or changing traveler cheques or cash in a small town like Udaipur? Are all currencies converted at general market rates or is it better to have a certain one and if so, which one? Thank you for your help.

We found the larger hotels give a good rate for cash and traveler's checks. You may take a small amount of Rupees from your local bank in your country -- say $50 or so for immediate needs. For purchases in stores, most stores post conversion rates for $ and they are better than the exchange rate quoted in the US. There are no restrictions on using $ anywhere it is accepted. What one must avoid is the "double conversion" -- stores will quote you a price in Rupees and then convert it to $ for your "convenience", and then re-convert and charge your credit card in Rupees. For purchases, it is best to negotiate in Rupees (do you own mental conversion to $$) and make the store charge that Rupee negotiated amount in Rupees to your credit card.

I plan to take a tour in India beginning in Udaipur. I would appreciate advice about how to get Indian Rupees. Is there anything particular about usage of ATMs or changing traveler cheques or cash in a small town like Udaipur? Are all currencies converted at general market rates or is it better to have a certain one and if so, which one? Thank you for your help.

I would bring them with you. Btw, Udaipur was my favorite place in India!

I don't think you should have much of a problem exchanging rupees in Udaipur. The bigger hotels should definitely be able to do it, but Udaipur is a very popular backpacker destination, so there are plenty of services available for travelers. And it is an absolutely beautiful place! :)

Archived