another fuel surcharge question...

Bibi

By the rules created there was only one day where the oil price per barrel exceeded the limit for our Dec 10-20 cruise. This was early in the measurement period, so by the 17th that one day had rolled out of the measurements and by the rules posted, the surcharge was no longer active. Someone posted the actual data on our Roll Call (click on this link ) if you really want to know the exact date of Nov 4. Also note that some people challenged the surcharge unsuccessfully, thinking that only one day does not constitute a trend to be charged for - but that's not what the rules specify and we knew the rules beforehand.

For any future cruise, all it takes is one day's worth of high oil prices to have the surcharge assessed.

Princess stated that the fuel surcharge would be lifted for Cruises starting on or after the 17th of Dec. My cruise started on the 13th and we went on our cruise with data showing that only on ONE day has crude blipped over 70 dollars per barrel in the previous six weeks--their criteria for returning the fuel surcharge.

WHile on board we went to the customer service desk and asked about the fuel surcharge. We were told promptly without delay that Princess were "GOING TO SEND A REFUND CHECK TO ALL PASSENGERS ON THIS CRUISE." Unequivocally.

On returning I called Princess and asked them about this. They denied that this was their policy, and that they didn't know why I had been told this. (It was a ruse to get rid of me from the service desk obviously.)

Then they told me to write a letter to Princess and they would "See if I was eligible for a refund, which I did and the letter has gone completely UNACKNOWLEDGED. ANOTHER ruse to get rid of me.

As crude oil was at 40 or so a barrel when we cruised and as these prices were way below the price at which they instituted fuel surcharges I feel VERY ripped off and LIED TO! Forgive the grammar but you get my drift.

There are better cruise lines who won't rip you off-- I suggest you go find one.

Archived