car seat for toddler?

figgy3

I have been hesitant about asking this question because I just know I'm going to get flak about bringing a not-quite two year old on a cruise to Alaska- but here goes: My DD and SIL will be with us on a Princess cruise late May. They are bringing their 19 month old daughter. Princess has told them that they do not need to bring a car seat- but I am concerned about the bus transfer from Whittier to Anchorage, and any potential short bus or van excursions at various ports. If they are denied access to the bus in Whittier they would probably miss their flight home connection. Before anyone starts in on the advisability of bringing such a young child, let me just say that my granddaughter has cancer and her parents have gone through hell this past year. They need a well-earned break and there is no question of leaving her behind. I know state law says all children under four need to be in a car seat, but Princess says it's not a problem. Anyone have this experience?

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but it is a great question. I was also wondering do I need to bring a carseat for my 3 year old. It is bulky and heavy, so I would prefer not to. I was also wondering if you need a carseat to ride in a taxi. I am so sorry to about your granddaughter. My prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure the vacation will be wonderful for them. Will they be on the Sapphire Princess end of May?

I booked an excursion where we are getting pick up by a van & i asked for

a car seat for my 3 year old. They said I was the first person who ever requested a car seat, they would have to look into it & in Alaska, there is no seat belt law. Not sure if it was true, but that's what she said. I live near NYC & and I see people jumping in taxis with children all the time without car seats. I'm not judging anyone...I'm just sharing my observations..

My prayers are with your granddaughter & your family. I'm sure you will

have a great time in Alaska. If you find out any more info on car seats,

please share it with us. Thanks.

Thank you everyone who has responded. It sounds like she won't need a car seat then, and that will make it so much easier for packing. I did read that on the tour buses in Denali, they ask you to bring a car seat for children under the age of four. Luckily, the kids are only doing the cruise so that won't be an issue for them. If I find out anything different, I'll post it. My DD and SIL do have a comprehensive cancellation policy in case they can't go because of problems , but we are really hoping they can make it and if the next operation goes as the doctors seem to think it will, it should be smooth sailing (pun intended)

We will be on the Island princess at end of May.

You might have seen this already, but I just read on the Denali National Park FAQ that Alaska law requires any child under 4 to have a car seat.

I would call Princess back to double check, but if they are providing the transfer they should be able to get a car seat for you.

Like I said, one excursion I booked said they don't even need a seatbelt,

another excursion I booked through Juneau said they would get me a carseat. Good Luck!

State law requires car seats in cars, trucks, and vans with regular seats. However, if it is a bus like a school bus, there are no seat belts and car seats are not required. You would need a car seat in a taxi, but many taxis have car seats...you might want to call and check on that.

How are you getting to the cruise, flying, I assume?

FAA strongly recommends that any child under 4 be in a carseat on the plane. I often travel with the Cosco Scenera, it is an FAA approved carseat that is super lightweight, installs easily almost everywhere and costs under $45 at Walmart and Kmart. I use better carseats for every day use but this is a nice one for travel.

I personally have purchased a seat on each plane ride I've ever taken with both of my children since they were born and used carseats for them both on the plane through age 3. I was thinking of going carseatless on our Alaska cruise which is the week my daughter turns 4, but after seeing yesterdays plane crash, I think I'll be taking my carseat! I have a travel vest sort of like a booster seat that we can use in any vehicle with a lap/shoulder combination but can't use on the plane which is lap belt only. The vest won't work for your little one however, since it is only for kids over 35#. One thing that you can use for you child on the plane (but not in a car/van/bus) is the CARES Harness: http://www.kidsflysafe.com/?gclid=CNmT_pHtlJgCFQwxawodXxWLlQ

If you have not purchased a plane seat for the little one, you can still take the carseat and there is a chance even once you've boarded that a seat on the plane might open up for you to use your carseat in. If you can't get a seat for your child, they will gate check the carseat with your stroller at the check in podium. Another nice thing about that Cosco Scenera is that it comes with its own little carring seat. Really, for the cheapest carseat on the market, I do love this seat. I normally buy $300 careseats and I just can say enough about the $45 Scenera, lol!

Anyway, my honest opinion is take the carseat for the plane, definately use it if you've purchased a seat on the plane for your child, if not, try to get a "free" seat for your child at the gate. If not, gate check it. If you need it for transfers, taxis, airport shuttles, shore excursions, you have it. If you get on a bus with no seat belts, they will store it for you. I know we are on some excurions that may have either busses with no seatbelts or vans with seatbelts. They said I can call ahead and they will be able to tell me which one so I know whether or not to bring a car seat off the ship. Remember, in Alaska, if you come around a corner and hit a Moose, you want your child strapped in if at all possible!

Thats my two cents plus some. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children and sadly most of these deaths can be prevented with proper use of car seats. I'm passionate about this issue. If you have to ask about taking a car seat, you probably should be taking one along!

No flack at all from for taking a little one on the cruise - ENJOY!

FAA strongly recommends that any child under 4 be in a carseat on the plane. I often travel with the Cosco Scenera, it is an FAA approved carseat that is super lightweight, installs easily almost everywhere and costs under $45 at Walmart and Kmart. I use better carseats for every day use but this is a nice one for travel.

Anyway, my honest opinion is take the carseat for the plane, definately use it if you've purchased a seat on the plane for your child, if not, try to get a "free" seat for your child at the gate. If not, gate check it. If you need it for transfers, taxis, airport shuttles, shore excursions, you have it. If you get on a bus with no seat belts, they will store it for you. I know we are on some excurions that may have either busses with no seatbelts or vans with seatbelts. They said I can call ahead and they will be able to tell me which one so I know whether or not to bring a car seat off the ship. Remember, in Alaska, if you come around a corner and hit a Moose, you want your child strapped in if at all possible!

Thats my two cents plus some. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children and sadly most of these deaths can be prevented with proper use of car seats. I'm passionate about this issue. If you have to ask about taking a car seat, you probably should be taking one along!

No flack at all from for taking a little one on the cruise - ENJOY!

I've not been to Alaska yet but want to wholeheartedly agree with everything

nothriver has said.

For many years we lived far from all of my family so my kids were flying from infancy. I *always* took carseats for my kids when they were babies/toddlers. Once they were out of infant seats, I purchased an inexpensive but safe Cosco seat like the one mentioned. When my 1st was little, I didn't purchase a seat and was always lucky enough for there to be an empty seat on the plane for her. Once I was traveling alone with 2 kids, I bit the bullet and paid for the extra seat to ensure the ability to use ds's carseat on the plane. (This came after one excruciating trip on packed-to-the-gill planes on a holiday weekend. We were miserable trying to get comfortable with a squirmy toddler.) Besides the obvious safety issues, the trips were just so much *easier* with the carseat on the plane. My kids knew the rule was we strapped in before any vehicle started moving and we stayed strapped in until it stopped. They ALWAYS fell asleep on the journeys in their carseats which made them (and me!) much happier travelers.

I also remember one trip when dd was 4 and I was pregnant with ds. We hit terrible turbulence and I was feeling very sick and nervous, yet dd slept through the entire episode strapped into her carseat.

Stepping off the soapbox now... :D

OP, many prayers for your granddaughter and the whole family. I hope all goes smoothly and they can have a wonderful trip.

Many thanks for all the responses. I too am passionate about using car seats for kids and so is my DD. They have not paid for the baby for air as she is under two, but we hadn't thought about the possibility of scoring a free seat for her and being able to use the car seat. They are concerned about the luggage restrictions and everyone knows how much more "stuff" you have to bring when you travel with a baby. They will not be doing any excursions as such in the ports, except for walking around. In Ketchikan we were thinking of trying to get a van from the dock to take us to Saxman, so the issue of the car seat would be important there. Do some vans have availability of car seats for these types of situations? They are not doing the cruise tour so the only bus travel they would have would be the initial transfer to the ship and then in Whittier from the ship to the airport in Anchorage as well as the possibility of a van as mentioned in Ketchikan. If the buses do not even have seat belts, it seems lugging this huge thing would all be for the possibility of being able to use it on the flights and then the few miles in Ketchikan. I like the idea of possibly buying a cheap lightweight one as proposed by Nothriver and Queasy. Maybe I should just send this link to my DD and let her figure it out!

We did the exact same thing, bought a Cosco Scenera to use as a cheap lightweight car seat for traveling. We did three cruises with our regular Britax seat and have had enough of lugging that thing around. I would echo what the others have said, go ahead and bring the seat if there is a chance you might need it. Most airlines won't count the car seat against you as your one piece of checked luggage before they start charging for bags. Or you can gate check it as you would a stroller.

Figgy3, Noticed you are going on Island Princess, we are doing the same southbound itinerary in August with our 2 yr old.

Enjoy your trip!

I am an Alaskan, and car seats are required here. They enforce seat belt laws pretty regularly. I haven't really heard of anyone ever getting off for not having a seat belt.

But on the other hand, if you are on a bus it could be completely different. I wouldn't think you would be expected to have a car seat on a bus.

So if the cruise line says no, it is probably not required. But safety for your child is your main concern. So what a pain, but I would probably bring one.

We took a trip from Alaska to Oklahoma and took two car seats. Biggest pain in the butt ever but we did it.

Figgy - I can't speak from personal experience with the child, only from observation & what family has told me. My kid never flew with us & she's 23 now. :)

Re: bus transfers. Whenver we have travelled via bus provided by the cruiseline, it has been a "motorcoach" type vehicle, with individual seats, 2x2. They were not bench seats like a schoolbus. I don't recall seatbelts, but they certainly might have been there. If so, I'm gonna guess they were just lap belts, like an airplane.

You might want to ring-up a local motorcoach company or 2, or greyhound even, to see if that type of bus typically has seatbelts.

Re: carseats on the plane. The little girl might be more comfortable in a carseat, because that's what she's used to. She'll certainly fit in one better than in just the seatbelt, if her parents are lucky enough to score an available seat for the flight(s). You don't say where you are from, but how many flight(s) will there be, for the cruise? How long are those flights? Mom & Dad will likely tire from passing her back-and-forth for the duration. And space is tight. So other pax will appreciate her being in a carseat instead of bumping into their seatbacks each time she's passed around. Do the airlines still discount seats for children under a certain age?

If it were me, flying with an infant, say under 6 months, I might consider flying w/o a carseat. The circumstances would have to be right - time of day, length of flight, type of aircraft, guarantee of a bulkhead seat so I could have the bassinet attachment, etc. A toddler, no way. I'd want that seat for my own peace of mind & sanity. Plus I'd have the ability to use it coming & going to & from the airport. I'd pay for her seat. JMHO.

Archived