Kayaks at Coco Cay/Nassau

Does anyone know how kayak rentals at Coco Cay work, what the rates are, and if you're able to venture on your own or required to stick with a group?

We're going on a 3 night Monarch OTS cruise and would like to rent a kayak at Coco Cay, but would like to 'free roam' and not be stuck with a group. If you're stuck with a group, then we'll probably try to rent one at Nassau. Any suggestions there? I know of the clear kayak excursion, but we'd really like to have the flexibility and solitiude of the kayak on our own.

Thanks!

Cost for me was per Kayak. In November, the guy was very nice and let me go with both of my small grandchildren (together they weigh less than 100 lbs) One child sat in front of me and one behind me. We only went for 1/2 hour which was more than enough for them. Kind of fun to look into the water, but unless you are doing the paddling, the kayak was a bit too tame for longer than 30 minutes. I did let both of them give the paddles a try (which means we didn't go very far or very straight :p but they had fun.) Also, because of them, I originally stayed near the shore and accidently drifted into the snorkeling area - the guard redirected us and we set out into deeper water.

I noticed that there were kayaks available almost all day - and certainly several available in the afternoon because by then most people were starting to think about heading back to ship.

P.S. If you want to "go off on your own" head out to the right when leaving the kayak stand. To your left is the big beach filled with people and the snorkle area. To your right - after you pass the jet ski concession - there are far less people and almost no people when you go further that direction. That same advice goes for the beach. if you follow the path around the island and get to the back - there seem to be miles of nearly deserted beach.

Archived