Outside vs. Inside on the QM2

Chuck & Phyllis

Public areas that is. As we see more and more pics of the QM2, we're falling in love with the interior of the ship, but also coming to dislike the outside public deck areas. Excluding the dome covered pool area (dome closed), and the promenade, all look to be large teak sunning areas with no shade, and no decorative character. We have a balcony and will use that and the spa every day, so along with strolling the promenade deck, our needs will be satisfied. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the inside and outside public areas. Opinions? Experienced citeques?

I would agree with your view on the outside deck areas. They lack the lido feel of a cruise ship. They remind me of the vast open spaces between the funnels on pictures of the Normandie. On my crossing they were not used. Everything that could move (bins and chairs mainly) was lashed with rope to the rails. I suppose it is all part of the Atlantic liner design of QM2. I would imagine on cruises the outside deck take on more personality.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I remember on my first crossing on QE2, I did a lot of planning on what side of the ship and exactly where I'd spend most of my time in a deck chair.

On our late May and the next early October crossing, the only place you could sit on a deck chair was out of the wind at the back of the ship huddled in all the warm clothes you had brought!! One afternoon I chatted with one man who was wearing his winter coat and joking about what to do with all the shorts he had brought. And this was in fairly calm seas.

Sunning oneself next to the pool would have been ludicrous and no one had to worry about the prohibition about wearing shorts in the public areas! I did see a few hardy souls in the spas, but they were mostly kids.

The weather is one reason why the QE2 has large windows on two decks that run mostly the length of the ship for public areas and these have comfortable chairs and tables so you can watch the sea from the warmth on the indoors! Hence the focus on the indoor public areas.

Remember that these are fast ships and at 25-30 knots, being outdoors means you are in a 28-24 MPH constant wind, even when there is no wind. Take a warm coat!

Our experience on QM2 left us with some mixed reviews. Concerning the outside spaces, we enjoyed the upper deck bar just aft of the mast but agree the large spaces further aft are unused and cold feeling. We loved the complete promenade deck which was a reminder of days on the old Queens. The only design glitches I would mention on the prom deck are the "bump outs" for the Kings Court dining areas which can cause pinch points when there are numerous strollers and at the starboard side aft of the promenade deck where the grill restaurants galley exhaust blows down on you. We got tired of returning to our cabin smelling of cooking grease so had to avoid that part of the deck during heavy cooking times. The forward part of deck 7 where the propeller blades are mounted is a nice viewing area in pretty weather. In good weather any deck on any ship is a good place to be.

Jim.

Archived