Question about traveling with a minor...

careywv

Cruises, was the question. There is no requirement for cruises.

I read that posted site. There was no info. about cruises.

BTW, on a cruise how dose anyone know when I got off the ship with my minor daughter after my ex. wife allready left the ship. (when still married)

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Then direct us to the site. DHS does not care when you leave the country. State dept. dosen't care when you leave the country.

ICE might care.

Grrrr.....this has nothing to do with the US state dept. Please see this website http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html See the exit/entry requirements for Minors...3rd paragraph.

JBRoons, your wife was very lucky...as I have been asked for this information in Cancun...she should have it next time...or you might be getting a frantic call from the airport or wherever she was...

It's not a "Carnival" thing....it's required by Department of State and Homeland Security.

Since you are so up on this issue' date=' [b']can you please provide a cite to the actual law or regulation in which DHS or the State Department requires documentation before allowing exit when a parent is exiting the country with that parent's child?[/b]

I am so glad that I found this thread! My husband and I are planning on taking my son (11) on a cruise this summer. I have been checking into getting passports, but I thought that was the only thing needed. If I have been reading the government website correctly, here's what I am supposed to do when I apply for a passport for him. Fill out all of the paper work at the court house in my hometown, show my divorce papers giving me sole custody, pay the money, provide the picture, and we should be good to go. Am I right or wrong?

Now to the letter for traveling abroad--I am really confused because I have sole custody. Do I really have to have a notorized letter from my ex-husband saying that it is ok for me to travel with my son whom I have custody over? :eek:

PLEASE---PLEASE---PLEASE---Clear this up for me and for others!!!!

Also--one more question---what is better-- a passport book or a passport card?

I am so glad that I found this thread! My husband and I are planning on taking my son (11) on a cruise this summer. I have been checking into getting passports, but I thought that was the only thing needed. If I have been reading the government website correctly, here's what I am supposed to do when I apply for a passport for him. Fill out all of the paper work at the court house in my hometown, show my divorce papers giving me sole custody, pay the money, provide the picture, and we should be good to go. Am I right or wrong?

Now to the letter for traveling abroad--I am really confused because I have sole custody. Do I really have to have a notorized letter from my ex-husband saying that it is ok for me to travel with my son whom I have custody over? :eek:

That sounds about right for passport procedures.

If you have sole custody of your child, then a letter from his other biological parent shouldn't be necessary. You could carry along a copy of your divorce papers or other custody documentation showing that you have sole custody. Of course, my divorce papers are 30 pages long and I sure wouldn't want to add that to my overpacking. Maybe your family court can give you some type of document saying that you have sole custody, or contact your divorce attorney.

I would suggest the book as you can use it to fly international, as well as go to places that aren't Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. You never know, he might get a change to go to Europe.

Grrrr.....this has nothing to do with the US state dept. Please see this website http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html See the exit/entry requirements for Minors...3rd paragraph.

The requirement is for exiting mexico, after an extended stay. not for short cruise trips. Entry/exit is not for the type of trips we are taking. ("closed loop cruises")

In addition most parents traveling with out a minor childs other parent cannot leave mexico,

according to the quoted part of the website.

Mexico dosen't care, just visit, don't get murdered and leave alot of money.

Hello all! A quick question:

We are bringing our nephew with us on a cruise. His mother will be more than happy to sign the "permission slip," but his father is deceased. Do I need a copy of the death certificate to prove we don't need his permission to have his son out of the country?

Since you are so up on this issue, can you please provide a cite to the actual law or regulation in which DHS or the State Department requires documentation before allowing exit when a parent is exiting the country with that parent's child?

If you read several posts before this one you posted, you will find several references that will take you to this information.........but......

In case you missed it, here's one:

http://answers.usa.gov/cgi-bin/gsa_ict.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6367

You must have the FATHERS signature to get a passport for a minor. Divorce/sole custody, etc. doesn't matter. He is still the legal father of the child and, custody order or not, he has as much say in raising the child as the mother. Sole custody means that the child lives with you.

Go back and read the 2nd page of this thread. There are several links to the information you seek.

You must have the FATHERS signature to get a passport for a minor. Divorce/sole custody' date=' etc. doesn't matter. He is still the legal father of the child and, custody order or not, he has as much say in raising the child as the mother. Sole custody means that the child lives with you.

Go back and read the 2nd page of this thread. There are several links to the information you seek.[/quote']

Not so fast G'ma. The correct info can be found here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

One Parent

(with sole legal custody)

MUST:

* Appear in person with the minor

* Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

* Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

o Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent

o Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent

o Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)

o Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)

o Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child

o Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent

o Death certificate of non-applying parent

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

If you read several posts before this one you posted' date=' you will find several references that will take you to this information.........but......

In case you missed it, here's one:

http://answers.usa.gov/cgi-bin/gsa_ict.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6367[/quote']

I'm sorry, you'll have to try again.

1. That site is not a law or regulation of the United States.

2. That site states nothing regarding DHS or the State Department requiring documentation before allowing a United States citizen-parent to exit the United States with his or her child.

It vaguely mentions entry requirements of other countries, but nothing about prohibiting a US citizen-parent from leaving the US with his or her child.

Not so fast G'ma. The correct info can be found here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

One Parent

(with sole legal custody)

MUST:

* Appear in person with the minor

* Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

* Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

o Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent

o Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent

o Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)

o Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)

o Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child

o Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent

o Death certificate of non-applying parent

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

G'ma, how many child custody orders have you drafted and/or reviewed.

Could you please cite to each state's child custody laws and explain why those laws provide that sole custody only involves the living arrangement?

Please explain how you know the contents of every child custody order and/or divorce decree in the United States to be able to make the statement that a noncustodial parent "has as much say in raising the child".

The requirement is for exiting mexico, after an extended stay. not for short cruise trips. Entry/exit is not for the type of trips we are taking. ("closed loop cruises")

In addition most parents traveling with out a minor childs other parent cannot leave mexico,

according to the quoted part of the website.

Mexico dosen't care, just visit, don't get murdered and leave alot of money.

Well fireman you can do whatever you want...I've been asked for it upon ENTRY into Mexico and I will always travel with a notarized letter when entering Mexico with my minor children. I'd like to see the information you are crafting your responses from. If you can't provide tangible information, maybe you shouldn't be posting your 'opinions' on the subject.

For our own children (one mine and one DHs - but both OURS), we always carried our divorce papers showing sole custody.

We have also taken my stepson's friend with us on the last 2 cruises - we always took the notarized letter with us, even though we had to press his mom to get it and actually get a mutual friend to notarize it. Carnival asked for the letter at the terminal before boarding. First time coming back, no questions asked. This last time, the Customs official in Mobile asked for the letter and reviewed it carefully - and asked the 16yo for his picture ID. I thought he had it with him, but he had left his wallet at home. I just stood there with him while the officer checked him in the computer and then lectured him on needing a picture ID when he traveled with another family.

For our 16yo, the officer just made him answer a question - "What country are you a citizen of?" He didn't notice that my name was not listed as the mother on the birth certificate. We didn't point that out to him, but we did have the custody decree with us, just in case.

[quote=G'ma;17700218]You must have the FATHERS signature to get a passport for a minor. Divorce/sole custody, etc. doesn't matter. He is still the legal father of the child and, custody order or not, he has as much say in raising the child as the mother. Sole custody means that the child lives with you.

Go back and read the 2nd page of this thread. There are several links to the information you seek.[/quote]

No you do not have to have the FATHER:"S signature if you have sole custody and have the papers to show that you do. I just acquired my DD passport this past Aug. and did not have her
FATHER"S or should I say sperm donors signature. I just had my divorce papers that showed I had sole custody. No problem getting her passport with these papers and they were returned with her birth certificate, although i did send a copy of the papers. I sent the first page with the seal and the page that showed I had custody, both were copies and they werereturned to me. I am jsut taking that copy with me when we cruise In April. There is no way my ex would have signed for her a passport. he has some major issues, and why should he deny her a trip of a lifetime when he does not exercise his visitationrights nor really acknowledge his 3 children. Nor does he pay for anything extra for these children just his court ordered child support. Quite the man.

Archived