Question about traveling with a minor...

careywv

We are booked for the Carnival Pride in May, and we have two cabins. One for my DH and I, and one for my M-I-L, her friend and her friend's daughter (under 18).

My PVP never mentioned the permission form that needs to accompany the minor when only traveling with one parent. I only found out through reading these boards. I've since learned that the parents aren't on speaking terms, so I'm totally stressing out over this.

What if he doesn't sign the form? Can they be refunded their money? Is Carnival supposed to tell you this when booking? Or am I just supposed to magically know? Because I mentioned several times that she would only be traveling with her mother....

My PVP also said my friend could buy insurance anytime, she didnt need to buy it within the first two weeks to cover diabetes, turnes out she said she didnt think diabetes wasnt a pre-existing condition. I doubt we could have held Carnival responsible for her mistake though.

A mistake by a PVP is just that a mistake, they know less about cruising than most people on this board, or mine did. Mine didnt know you got OBC for owning stock and a lot of other things folks here know.

I think you need to make sure you get the form signed, because you can't count on a refund from Carnival

I have taken my son (10) from my first marriage on the last 2 cruises with me. I am on good terms with his father who had to sign off on his passport (though there is a provision for getting a passport when you cannot reach the other parent). I also carried with me a notarized note from his dad on each of the cruises. No one batted an eye or asked to see the note even though his last name is clearly different from mine, my husband's, and my younger son. I think it is just something they say to cover their legal bases. If she has custody papers, take those - sound like the best you can do under the circumstances.

Yes, your PVP should have pointed it out.

Carnival does publish a "Things to Know Before You Go" brochure that will come with your documents, or is referenced in your e-docs. This link will take you to an e-brochures page:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/brochure.aspx

The "Things to Know" brochure is second from the left on the second row. The language you are looking for is at the top of page 9.

Note that it says recommended, except for Mexico where it says you should have a notarized letter. We have traveled with grandchildren several times and have always had (notarized) letters from all parents giving permission to travel and also giving permission to make medical decisions. Disney did ask to see the letter when we checked in. Carnival has not asked, and no one at any port (including Mexican ports) has ever asked for it.

If you can't get the letter chances are you'd be OK, but that's not a sure thing. Your M-I-L's friend should make the attempt to get it.

FYI - the statement at the top of page 7 gives them their out for not giving a refund.

My minor DD has cruised with me six times. Some with a passport, some without. No one has ever asked for a letter, but in the beginning I took my custody papers (and once a payment history from CS enforcement showing he was in hiding). I also didn't have a problem getting a passport for her with my custody papers.

Are you going to Mexico? If so, then I would try to get the letter if at all possible, or some of her divorce papers that give her sole custody of the child.

Under normal circumstances there is a 99.9% chance you would not be asked for any papers. However, if something were to happen and you miss the ship and have to spend the night in Mexico, there might be problems.

I have never been asked about my minor DD when I take her out of the country just like others have said. I do know that other countries have this requirement, especially Mexico. I am a widower so getting permission is obviously out of the question but I do carry my DW's death certificate and my DD's birth certificate to augment her passport just in case. Better to be prepared just in case you are asked.

We are traveling to the Bahamas. I have a call in to see if she has SOLE custody, or if he is just "in the wind" as my M-I-L says.

I was just nervous about her even finding the dad to get the letter. She is going to mail a letter to his last known address and hopes to get a response.

I was asking about the refund portion, because we've only paid our deposit not the full amount. I just don't want this family to suffer because they can't locate the dad for her to go. Ya know?

Maybe I stressed out too fast...LOL

My kids are adopted, look nothing like me, and I have never been asked.

Also took a friends daughter to Australia with me- never got asked. It is nice to have just in case but it is unlikely that you will need it. Especially if she is nearly 18. It is primarily because parents have started kidnapping their children and going to islands in the Carribean, etc, to escape custody issues. If the girl is of a reasonable age and doesn't look like she is being coerced into taking the trip I suspect you will be fine.

We are traveling to the Bahamas. I have a call in to see if she has SOLE custody, or if he is just "in the wind" as my M-I-L says.

I was just nervous about her even finding the dad to get the letter. She is going to mail a letter to his last known address and hopes to get a response.

I was asking about the refund portion, because we've only paid our deposit not the full amount. I just don't want this family to suffer because they can't locate the dad for her to go. Ya know?

The Carnival brochure says "recommended", so I guess Carnival does not require it.

She can still go - just might have a problem if they disembark into a country that requires the letter.

There is no such form required to cruise. But there are made up forms available. Nothing from the US goverment is needed. Urban legend.

Also when has a Mexican customs official been on the pier waiting for a carnival ship? Never. How long does it take to clear a Carnival ship at the Mexican pier? About 10 mins. Not enough time to check anything. Peermission might be needed for air or land travel, but thats it. And who is to know if a parent is divorced or not.Your passport and or birth certificates don't show custody.

This notarized letter is not needed for the Bahamas - it is not a legal requirement (check travel.state.gov and check US Visitors traveling to the Bahamas). I have had to get the notarized both times for Mexico (and YES, I have been asked for the letter) but never for the Bahamas.

There is no such form required to cruise. But there are made up forms available. Nothing from the US goverment is needed. Urban legend.

Also when has a Mexican customs official been on the pier waiting for a carnival ship? Never. How long does it take to clear a Carnival ship at the Mexican pier? About 10 mins. Not enough time to check anything. Peermission might be needed for air or land travel, but thats it. And who is to know if a parent is divorced or not.Your passport and or birth certificates don't show custody.

That is so NOT true. It is MEXICAN LAW!!!! If you are going to bring a minor child with you to Mexico alone, you HAVE to get a notarized form from ONE or BOTH of their parents depending on your relationship with them. Whether they look at it or not is a different story...but if they ask you for it and you don't have it, you cannot get off the ship!

You do NOT have to be divorced for this to be in effect...you just have to be a sole adult traveling with the minor child. AGAIN...this is a MEXICAN law...

I have been on 5 cruises so far and all but two I have taken my children without my husband. I have never once been asked for any kind of letter or anything signed by my husband.

Lora

Well, like many things in life, you don't need it -- until you do.

I've been taking my grandson once a year since he was 8 years old. He's 17 now and it's not an issue. I've been asked for the letter twice and once when he was 11, they questioned him personally asking who I was and if he was looking forward to the cruise, etc.....

Mexico REQUIRES it....so, anyone on a cruise stopping in Mexico ports will need to present this letter.

Don't give bad information. The State Department REQUIRES this form...it is to prevent child abduction. Just because you've never been asked doesn't mean it's not required.

From Carnival's website:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID

and, from the Homeland Security website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

It's better to be safe than be denied boarding. If they ask for it and it's not available, boarding will be denied.......it's the law.

I went to Mexico on both my cruises and was not asked...

On the other hand, I forgot the document once and had to wait for my daughter to leave work, get to my house, find the letter and fax it to the pier before they would let us board.

It's the law.....get the letter. You won't need it until you do.....

The Carnival brochure says "recommended", so I guess Carnival does not require it.

She can still go - just might have a problem if they disembark into a country that requires the letter.

It's not a "Carnival" thing....it's required by Department of State and Homeland Security.

It is ALWAYS the passengers responsibility to have all required travel documents. It's not the cruise companies duty to hold everyone's hand like a babysitter.

The information is readily available on state department/homeland security websites.

You shouldn't give out incorrect info. Obviously, you have never actually checked on any state dept or homeland security website about traveling with minor children and the child abduction prevention laws.

You shouldn't give out incorrect info. Obviously' date=' you have never actually checked on any state dept or homeland security website about traveling with minor children and the child abduction prevention laws.[/quote']

Then direct us to the site. DHS does not care when you leave the country. State dept. dosen't care when you leave the country.

ICE might care.

Well' date=' like many things in life, you don't need it -- until you do.

I've been taking my grandson once a year since he was 8 years old. He's 17 now and it's not an issue. I've been asked for the letter twice and once when he was 11, they questioned him personally asking who I was and if he was looking forward to the cruise, etc.....

Mexico REQUIRES it....so, anyone on a cruise stopping in Mexico ports will need to present this letter.

Don't give bad information. The State Department REQUIRES this form...it is to prevent child abduction. Just because you've never been asked doesn't mean it's not required.

From Carnival's website:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID

and, from the Homeland Security website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

It's better to be safe than be denied boarding. If they ask for it and it's not available, boarding will be denied.......it's the law.[/quote']

Mexico is never asking for anything....they can't even stop their own citizens from fleeing the country by the millions. My wife just took my daughters, both minors, into Mexico to Cancun without any questions whatsoever. Mexico, for the most part, is a lawless country....they don't care about things like this. No worries!!

Archived