Help with arriving in PPT at 4:30am for PG

baf10

I just found out that AIr Tahiti Nui changed their schedule and I will now be arriving at 4:30am the day of my cruise. Does anyone have any ideas what the best thing to do is besides go to a hotel for 6 hours? I was thinking I would hang around the airport until 8 or 9am and then go o the cruise and drop off my bags and walk around until I could board. When i just called RSSC they said you canot drop off your bags before you can check in. Has anyone had the same problem I have? Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ugh. Poor you. I would say don't hang around the airport. I've done this, and it's not particularly comfortable.

There is a fairly new hotel right across the street from the airport, called the Airport Motel, you could check that out, or another hotel as close as possible to the port. There's also one downtown called the Mandarin. If you can get a late check-out, that would be worth it for sure.

If you want to find out about hotels, try http://www.tahiti-explorer.com .

We recently arrived at about 2 a.m., and got to our hotel (Radisson) about 3. The good thing is, if you're coming from North America, it will be morning where you live, and you will be more alert. Bad thing is you will be completely baffed when you get on the ship at 3 p.m.

There is luggage storage available at the airport, if you decide you need it.

Remember if your arrival is scheduled to be 4:30 a.m., and you are on time, you won't get through customs and get your baggage until well after 5 a.m. So if you're bright and chipper, you could take a cab downtown and walk around--the market will be in full swing. But you'd have to come back for the luggage, which is a pain.

Thanks I came up with my own idea of renting a car for only $40. This way I do not have to take a taxi and can keep my luggage in the car while I walk around Papeete. Then hopefully they will let me board at around 12:30. Not much point in going to a hotel because I will not be going back to sleep at 5:30 or 11:30am Miami time. When i get onboard I may take a nap at 2pm. What is the earliest you think you can board?

I don't want to worry you but most car rental agencies caution you about leaving your luggage in the car as well as guide books. Also, most cars in Tahiti are all hatchbacks with no trunk so anything in your car will be visable to all. If you must leave your luggage in your car make sure it's parked on the street in downtown Papeete and not off in some parking lot or obscure place as that would just be inviting someone to break in and take your belongings.

Pat

Or you can leave your luggage at the storage facility at the airport, since you will most likely have to return the car there.

Also a caution that traffic is crazy in Papeete. If you're leaving early in the morning, go right from the airport, which is west. You can drive all the way around the island if you like, and by going counterclockwise you'll miss the worst of the morning rush hour, which will be going the other way. Then if you want to still miss downtown, reverse direction at some point around the island and come back to the airport.

Actually I booked a car with Hertz. I will probably pick up the car at 8am and then drive to Papeete to their location in Papeete right near the cruise ship. I will park the car at the car rental and tell them I am keeping my luggage in it. Then at 12 I will walk to the cruise or drop my wife off with the luggage. The car rental closes at 12 that day. I was concerned about leaving bags in the car that can be seen but i figured leaving it at the rental agency would be the safest.

First of all, are you coming with Regent air or on your own? If with Regent, they will take care of you. I assume that you are booking your own air. We came on the red eye and after going through customs took a shuttle to the port where we left our luggage at the dock under the watchful eyes of the Regent staff. You can not board until 2 pm. The last group leaves the ship around one pm. If you board at 2, you are sent to the grand salon to sit(sandwiches and soda provided) until the staff can check you in. We walked around town and then took le truck to the end of the line to rest. The tourist office in front of the dock has ac and lets you sit inside to rest. Have fun.

Right, I'd forgotten that, Cruiserdreamer. If you have booked air with Regent, they would probably send you to a hotel for the morning. You might not have a room, but you'd have somewhere to roost. We got that treatment on our first trip, spent the day at one of the hotels, then were bussed to the ship.

So, you're renting a car, then just parking it and spending the whole morning in Papeete? That's going to be a long morning--I'd drive out of town if I were you. Papeete's just not all that interesting.

Having done this a few times arriving at WEIRD times..it really is a pain to rent a car or HANG OUT somewhere. Arriving on the ship later is better trust me. My best experience is just going straight to a hotel and RESTING until 4 or 5pm and going to the ship then. Avoid the first arrivals, settle in, have a drink, eat, explore and to bed. Just a suggestion. :cool:

If you booked with Regent for Air, get through customs as fast as you can and take a taxi to the hotel. Don't use the transfer service unless you specifically have a "Direct Transfer" as a "Transfer" will only get you to the hotel after many stops at other hotels (read this as 7am arrival)! You will probably arrive around 5:30-6am with a taxi or direct transfer. The sun will be up. You can check in or leave your luggage at the hotel (they will store it for you).

If you choose to check in, you can get a nice 6 hour nap and be fresh if you weren't able to sleep on the plane. If you slept on the plane, it is basically like starting your day a little early.

The beach is very nice at the Radisson and so is the pool. Get yourself a lounge chair, a good book and lots of sunscreen and relax.

My advice is not to rush to the ship. I think we got there around 4:00pm using the transfer that Regent provided (it's chaotic and I'm putting that nicely). If I was to do it again, I would hire a taxi to take me about 3pm (just before the Regent transfer). You will arrive and be pretty much the first on board.

As far as seeing Papeete, you can do that on the end of the cruise using the tour that Regent offers before transfer to a hotel/airport or the evening you dock. We got in about 5pm (two hours ahead of schedule) and were able to get off, walk to the downtown area and back onto the ship at any time. Some people had dinner off the ship that night and came back on around 10pm.

Thanks for your suggestions. I booked air myself using miles so I could go in business class. I really doubt i will be going back to sleep at 6am which will be noon my time. I have been to FP twice before and have driven around Tahiti both times. Originally I thought I would just go to the pier and drop off my bags and then walk around. When i called RSSC they said i would not be allowed to. I think renting a car will cost me the same as taking a taxi so it may be safer incase i cannot drop my bags off. Is a taxi 3000 to 4000 XPf's? When I come back i will have no time to see Papeete as i will be getting off the boat at 4:30am because I have an early flight to Fakarava.

Archived