• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

There was a previous post awhile back (from TowncarTom, I think) that had a great description of a walking tour of Liverpool. It sounded so good that I copied the whole thing into my notes & that's what we're doing on our day in Liverpool (which, by the way, is the same as yours--we're on that Ruby cruise, too!)

Hi, we are coming in on the Ruby Princess Saturday July 26th. We are in port from 10am - 7:30pm.

I understand the Giants will be displayed/roaming around during our visit and HOHO bus system may not be operating.

Any suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. Sorry for the delayed reply. I am actually in the Channel Islands on a short break.

If you are interested in The Beatles then take a look at post 571, which is a suggested walking tour of Beatles stuff.

Post 336 also has a walking tour that I suggested for another traveller, who did it and seemed to enjoy it. The opening post also contains a lot of information that you might find useful.

Finally, I see you come from Windsor Ontario, a place close to my heart, although I've never been there. Back in 1967 my father moved there with a view to the rest of us following him out there after he had secured regular work. He was unable to do so because of the economic situation there and so he came back. If he'd found a regular job I could have been your neighbour!!

Enjoy your visit to the world's friendliest city!! :-)

PS Bear in mind that if the giants thing is happening, the city will be packed. I always avoid the city centre when such things are going on, but there is always somewhere to go and something to do.

Edited by Towncar T

Here is a link to information on the routes that the giants are taking. Actually, it could work out very well for those visiting on the ruby Princess on the 26th July.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/liverpool-giants-2014---google-7230982

It seems that in the early part of the day they are in the upper part of the city centre, away from what I would call the main tourist areas.

In the late afternoon, they come right down onto the Pier Head right in front of the cruise ship terminal and you should get a fantastic view of the giants from the upper decks of the ship.

Just a word of advice though. i would leave extra time to get back to your ship because the crowds down at the Pier Head will be HUGE and you might well have to fight your way through them to get back to the ship.

It might be an idea to post ta link to this post on your ship's roll call so people are aware of what is going on that day. Play it right and you will have great fun. Get it wrong and you'll be waving bye bye to the ship as it sails down the Mersey.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will be visiting Liverpool on a cruise in May 2015. While I would want to see some "Beatles" stuff, I don't want to devote the whole day to the Beatles. I see there are several free walking tours offered, as well as hoho type bus tours (looking at the City Explorer with the Ferry tour included). There are also some private tour operators. Do you have an opinion on using any of these. I like the idea of having someone with knowledge of the area pointing out interesting facts we may otherwise miss. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Edited by flgirl543

We will be visiting Liverpool on a cruise in May 2015. While I would want to see some "Beatles" stuff, I don't want to devote the whole day to the Beatles. I see there are several free walking tours offered, as well as hoho type bus tours (looking at the City Explorer with the Ferry tour included). There are also some private tour operators. Do you have an opinion on using any of these. I like the idea of having someone with knowledge of the area pointing out interesting facts we may otherwise miss. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Hi. There are lots of tours doing Beatles stuff. I haven't done any of them myself, but I know others that have done the taxi tour and they said it was great. Perhaps she (you know who you are! ;) ) will come back on here and review it for you.

A bit earlier on this thread I suggested a city centre walking tour that was Beatles related if you want to d it under your own steam.

As you have plenty of time, I'd just surf the net and look at plenty of options. If you have any specific questions then just come back on here and ask.

Enjoy your visit. You're coming to the world's friendliest city!:)

Thank you for your suggestion, but, sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear...would prefer not to do a Beatles tour, but rather more of the city's other points of interest. I was looking at the City Explorer Liverpool tour bus. I thought this sounded good and was hoping to hear if others have used this tour bus.

Thank you for your suggestion, but, sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear...would prefer not to do a Beatles tour, but rather more of the city's other points of interest. I was looking at the City Explorer Liverpool tour bus. I thought this sounded good and was hoping to hear if others have used this tour bus.

Not something I've done myself, but maybe others have? If you have time to read through this thread there are lots of ideas and suggestions for making the most of your day in Liverpool, either under your own steam or on the various excursions and tours that people have done. My personal favourite is the walking tour that I suggested way back in the thread, which takes in the main city centre sights, fills the day and hardly costs a penny! :)

Towncar T - we plan to do your suggested walking tour (post 336, page 17), but as we will be in town on a Saturday (July 4th, 2015), it looks like we will have to do the lengthy tour across the Mersey rather than the commuter one.

We would like to have a look at the 2 cathedrals. Would this be easy if we do the walking tour, and at what stage do you think we should go there? Thanks!

Towncar T - we plan to do your suggested walking tour (post 336, page 17), but as we will be in town on a Saturday (July 4th, 2015), it looks like we will have to do the lengthy tour across the Mersey rather than the commuter one.

We would like to have a look at the 2 cathedrals. Would this be easy if we do the walking tour, and at what stage do you think we should go there? Thanks!

Hi. The "lengthy" ferry trip is only about 50 minutes and is worth doing, in my opinion. As for the cathedrals, they are definitely worth a visit, but it might be an idea to take a taxi to the Anglican Cathedral first. It won't be expensive, but will save some time. Then walk back down Hope Street to the Metropolitain Cathedral. Depending on what time you are finished up at the cathedral you can either walk down into the city centre, taking in St Luke's Church on the way, or take a taxi back down to the waterfront. If it were me, I'd do the ferry first, then head up to the cathedrals and head back down into the city after that. However, there are a lot of different ways of doing it.

Hope you have a great visit :)

Edited by Towncar T

Hi. The "lengthy" ferry trip is only about 50 minutes and is worth doing, in my opinion. As for the cathedrals, they are definitely worth a visit, but it might be an idea to take a taxi to the Anglican Cathedral first. It won't be expensive, but will save some time. Then walk back down Hope Street to the Metropolitain Cathedral. Depending on what time you are finished up at the cathedral you can either walk down into the city centre, taking in St Luke's Church on the way, or take a taxi back down to the waterfront.

Hope you have a great visit :)

Sounds like a plan, thanks! I know it's nearly a year away, but I am counting down the days:)

I can't help but be interested in your list of cruises, dating from 1956! Were you born on a cruise ship?? Lol!

I wish I was born on a cruise ship! My grand father was from Wallasey (which is where Dad was born), and he went out to Africa to work for Lever Brothers, so I ended up being born in Kenya. In those days it was thought to be unhealthy to stay too long in the southern hemisphere, hence our frequent voyages "home" from Africa!

Having had my application to work as an air hostess for BOAC rejected, I chose a career outside of the travel business, and thus have to depend on holiday cruises to fulfill my love of the ocean, and bring back memories of the happy childhood days at sea:)

I wish I was born on a cruise ship! My grand father was from Wallasey (which is where Dad was born), and he went out to Africa to work for Lever Brothers, so I ended up being born in Kenya. In those days it was thought to be unhealthy to stay too long in the southern hemisphere, hence our frequent voyages "home" from Africa!

Having had my application to work as an air hostess for BOAC rejected, I chose a career outside of the travel business, and thus have to depend on holiday cruises to fulfill my love of the ocean, and bring back memories of the happy childhood days at sea:)

In a former career, I had an office in Wallasey, and I still go there every month to have lunch with a bunch of friends.

I wrote a song a while back, called, "Coming home to Liverpool" and in a way I suppose you are. Let me know if there's anything at all that I can help you with to get the best out of your visit.

T:)

I've been trying to get some information on this tour, but can't seem to pin it down. Do you have a link to their website so that I can be sure exactly which tour you are talking about? :)

I've been trying to get some information on this tour, but can't seem to pin it down. Do you have a link to their website so that I can be sure exactly which tour you are talking about? :)

http://cityexplorerliverpool.co.uk

I found it on Tripadvisor where it got good reviews. They have combined tickets as well which include the ferry. It sounds like a good option.

http://cityexplorerliverpool.co.uk

I found it on Tripadvisor where it got good reviews. They have combined tickets as well which include the ferry. It sounds like a good option.

Just had a look at their site. Very reasonably priced at £8 for their Hop On Hop Off bus. All the places it goes are within easy walking distance of the ship, but for eight quid you get to take the weight off your feet and get on and off as you please. Particularly good for the trek up to the Anglican Cathedral. Might be a good option for Safarigal too. Good call if you aren't into walking. Your best stop to board would be the Pier Head, as this is only 100 yards from your ship. Enjoy!:)

Edited by Towncar T

In a former career, I had an office in Wallasey, and I still go there every month to have lunch with a bunch of friends.

I wrote a song a while back, called, "Coming home to Liverpool" and in a way I suppose you are. Let me know if there's anything at all that I can help you with to get the best out of your visit.

T:)

Do you have a recording of your song on Youtube or some such media deal? I am sure those of us who are in a way "coming home to Liverpool" would love to play it on the ship/plane/train over!

Just had a look at their site. Very reasonably priced at £8 for their Hop On Hop Off bus. All the places it goes are within easy walking distance of the ship, but for eight quid you get to take the weight off your feet and get on and off as you please. Particularly good for the trek up to the Anglican Cathedral. Might be a good option for Safarigal too. Good call if you aren't into walking. Your best stop to board would be the Pier Head, as this is only 100 yards from your ship. Enjoy!:)

Thanks, that sounds like a good option if we are feeling less energetic! Only 327 days to go:)

Do you have a recording of your song on Youtube or some such media deal? I am sure those of us who are in a way "coming home to Liverpool" would love to play it on the ship/plane/train over!

I tried to post a dropbox link to a version of the song, but CC isn't having it. Maybe it's against the rules. I'll see if I can find another way T:)

I found a way to do it and the link is in the post below. I recorded this in 2005 just on some home studio equipment, but I think you'll get the feel of it. The backing track was done by a friend of mine, but all the vocals are me. Hope you like it.:)

Edited by Towncar T

Thanks, Towncar. That is so beautiful, I was in tears. Our Crystal Symphony will be there on Thursday 21 August, just in time for the big Beatles festivities. You are always so helpful. I leave next Wednesday for Dover and so excited. Maybe we will see you there on the Mercy Ferry! ;)