• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

What a great pleasure it was to met up with Jrzgrl and her hubby yesterday evening before they went back aboard the Ruby Princess. We do have some lovely people here on Cruise Critic! :-)

Took me a while to finally get around to posting! We had a great time visiting Liverpool and spending time with Towncar T! Hopefully we will return the hospitality one day soon in NY!

We will be visiting Liverpool on a cruise in May 2015. While I would want to see some "Beatles" stuff, I don't want to devote the whole day to the Beatles. I see there are several free walking tours offered, as well as hoho type bus tours (looking at the City Explorer with the Ferry tour included). There are also some private tour operators. Do you have an opinion on using any of these. I like the idea of having someone with knowledge of the area pointing out interesting facts we may otherwise miss. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

We just returned from the Ruby Princess and we used Fab Four Taxi Tours. They were fantastic. The tour was three hours, but they have a 2 hour tour as well. I reviewed them on Trip Advisor, and you can read many more as well. Highly recommend.

Thanks, Towncar. That is so beautiful, I was in tears. Our Crystal Symphony will be there on Thursday 21 August, just in time for the big Beatles festivities. You are always so helpful. I leave next Wednesday for Dover and so excited. Maybe we will see you there on the Mercy Ferry! ;)

Wow, I agree with Di Princess, that it so beautiful! I just wish my Dad would have been able to hear it too. Thanks so much for the link, we will certainly be playing it as we sail up the Mersey next year!

Wow. Praise indeed. I'm glad you liked it. And Di, I'm sorry but it won't be me you'll be hearing on the Mersey Ferry, but the dulcet tones of Gerry and the Pacemekers et al. Enjoy your visit!!:)

Took me a while to finally get around to posting! We had a great time visiting Liverpool and spending time with Towncar T! Hopefully we will return the hospitality one day soon in NY!

I'll look forward to that! :)

Really enjoyed meeting you and G. :)

Wow. Praise indeed. I'm glad you liked it. And Di, I'm sorry but it won't be me you'll be hearing on the Mersey Ferry, but the dulcet tones of Gerry and the Pacemakers, et al. Enjoy your visit!

T: You sound like about 27 years old and I'll bet you feel it to when you sing. I find it interesting that there is no accent when one sings. Love your music. Thanks again! ;)

Donna

T: You sound like about 27 years old and I'll bet you feel it to when you sing. I find it interesting that there is no accent when one sings. Love your music. Thanks again! ;)

Donna

27? I wish! (Actually I don't, but that's another story ;) ) And whilst I may not feel younger on stage, performing definitely makes you take on a different personality than the normal day to day self. It's certainly a type of escapism :)

I think that since the birth of rock 'n' roll we all sing with a sort of mid Atlantic accent. At least we do over here anyway. It just feels and sounds better than the old 'Noel Coward' type of singing voice.

Hi Towncar. I'm just starting my research for my June 2, 2015 cruise on the Royal Princess. We arrive in Liverpool on Saturday June 6th and we're there from 7:30-22:00. Thank you for continuing on with this amazing thread. You have helped so many people with their planning, myself included.

Because of our long port day in Liverpool, my husband would like to get in a round of golf. I've been researching golf courses in the area that have easy access from the port. He would love to play the Royal Liverpool. I emailed them, but they haven't returned my email as of yet. From their website, it doesn't look like they take visitors on Saturdays, especially for only one golfer. Can you give me any recommendations for golf courses in the area that are doable on a Saturday and will also have clubs to rent? I know it's premature, but I want to get an idea of the different courses he can play on. Thank you.

Bonnie

Hi Towncar. I'm just starting my research for my June 2, 2015 cruise on the Royal Princess. We arrive in Liverpool on Saturday June 6th and we're there from 7:30-22:00. Thank you for continuing on with this amazing thread. You have helped so many people with their planning, myself included.

Because of our long port day in Liverpool, my husband would like to get in a round of golf. I've been researching golf courses in the area that have easy access from the port. He would love to play the Royal Liverpool. I emailed them, but they haven't returned my email as of yet. From their website, it doesn't look like they take visitors on Saturdays, especially for only one golfer. Can you give me any recommendations for golf courses in the area that are doable on a Saturday and will also have clubs to rent? I know it's premature, but I want to get an idea of the different courses he can play on. Thank you.

Bonnie

OK. First thing I would say is that if your husband wants a game of golf then that shouldn't be much of a problem. As a golfer myself, I have played most of the courses in the locality, including Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool by the way).

I think that your final planning for this should wait until early next year, as the clubs won't have produced their diaries for next year yet, so they won't know what is on that date. One problem is that most clubs have weekend competitions around that time of year, which would mean that they dont accept visitors, but they won't necessarily have something on that day.

I doubt very much that Royal Liverpool would take a booking from a single golfer on a Saturday ( or any other day) but you never know. A good friend of mine is a member there, so I can ask.

I can DEFINITELY help to sort out something in the new year, which still gives heaps of time. One thing I have to ask is what is your husband's handicap and can he provide a handicap certificate? Many of the better clubs require handicap certificates from players and some impose limits on handicaps.

There are lots and lots of great courses in this area, so I don't see a problem in organising a game.:)

T

Thanks, Towncar. That is so beautiful, I was in tears. Our Crystal Symphony will be there on Thursday 21 August, just in time for the big Beatles festivities. You are always so helpful. I leave next Wednesday for Dover and so excited. Maybe we will see you there on the Mercy Ferry! ;)

Hope you enjoy your upcoming visit. I've ordered good weather for you, but I can't guarantee it! Hopefully you'll do the same for us when we are on your 'left coast' next month :D

T

OK. First thing I would say is that if your husband wants a game of golf then that shouldn't be much of a problem. As a golfer myself, I have played most of the courses in the locality, including Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool by the way).

I think that your final planning for this should wait until early next year, as the clubs won't have produced their diaries for next year yet, so they won't know what is on that date. One problem is that most clubs have weekend competitions around that time of year, which would mean that they dont accept visitors, but they won't necessarily have something on that day.

I doubt very much that Royal Liverpool would take a booking from a single golfer on a Saturday ( or any other day) but you never know. A good friend of mine is a member there, so I can ask.

I can DEFINITELY help to sort out something in the new year, which still gives heaps of time. One thing I have to ask is what is your husband's handicap and can he provide a handicap certificate? Many of the better clubs require handicap certificates from players and some impose limits on handicaps.

There are lots and lots of great courses in this area, so I don't see a problem in organising a game.:)

T

Thanks so much! His handicap is 16 and he can provide a certificate. I'll touch base with you next year as we get closer.

Thanks so much! His handicap is 16 and he can provide a certificate. I'll touch base with you next year as we get closer.

Great. There won't be a problem with that. It might be an idea if you can hook him up with another golfer on the roll-call thread for your sailing, as it will be much easier to accommodate a two-ball rather than a single player.

Be sure to check in here early in the new year regarding the golf, but of course you can post questions on anything else whenever you want.

:)T

I was at the Pier Head a couple of days ago and it looks like the Starbucks that was there has now closed down. It certainly looked that way. All the signs have gone and it looked like most of the equipment had gone. However, there is a really nice coffee shop in the ferry terminal building where we enjoyed a nice cappuccino whilst sitting people watching. Just for information. :)

I was at the Pier Head a couple of days ago and it looks like the Starbucks that was there has now closed down. It certainly looked that way. All the signs have gone and it looked like most of the equipment had gone. However, there is a really nice coffee shop in the ferry terminal building where we enjoyed a nice cappuccino whilst sitting people watching. Just for information. :)

Been there - done that - hi Towncar - hope all is well.............

g

Just got this deal through from Groupon. Looks like a good deal to me for anyone that's interested.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/liverpool/city-sightseeing-liverpool-1-10/43809460?p=1&nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_244&a=13&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=c22deff9-0803-49da-8cc2-11bf2de0db92&division=liverpool&uh=a61b1501-311d-45cc-abae-52dcbd1c0f6d&date=20140109&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=city-sightseeing-liverpool-1-10-43809460

As I have said in the past, I have no affiliation to this company and I haven't been on the tour myself. Just thought I'd point it out as it looks like a really inexpensive way to tour the city. T:)

Towncar T -- I'm not sure how I happened on this thread, but I once I did, I had to read the whole thing! Delightful!

My Mum was from Liverpool and I was born at the now long-gone Burtonwood Air Force Base near Warrington (my Dad was in the US Air Force). I remember visiting my Grandma in Anfield in between traveling back and forth from my Dad's assignments in Europe and the US. My husband and and I are very close to my (second) cousin and her husband who live in Huyton, and we visit back and forth all the time.

You've brought Liverpool and the warmest and funniest people on the face of this Earth to life in this thread! I remember the rubble from the bombing in WWII well into the 60s. But I also remember the beautiful architecture blackened by the coal fires everyone used to heat their homes. It's all so dazzling now!

What hasn't changed is the people. Liverpudlians really are the kindest, warmest people anywhere with the absolute best sense of humor!!!!

Thank you for making me smile, reminding me of friends and family, and giving others a glimpse of Liverpool!

Cheers, Luv!

Towncar T -- I'm not sure how I happened on this thread, but I once I did, I had to read the whole thing! Delightful!

My Mum was from Liverpool and I was born at the now long-gone Burtonwood Air Force Base near Warrington (my Dad was in the US Air Force). I remember visiting my Grandma in Anfield in between traveling back and forth from my Dad's assignments in Europe and the US. My husband and and I are very close to my (second) cousin and her husband who live in Huyton, and we visit back and forth all the time.

You've brought Liverpool and the warmest and funniest people on the face of this Earth to life in this thread! I remember the rubble from the bombing in WWII well into the 60s. But I also remember the beautiful architecture blackened by the coal fires everyone used to heat their homes. It's all so dazzling now!

What hasn't changed is the people. Liverpudlians really are the kindest, warmest people anywhere with the absolute best sense of humor!!!!

Thank you for making me smile, reminding me of friends and family, and giving others a glimpse of Liverpool!

Cheers, Luv!

Cheers, Jazzbo!

It is reading posts like yours that reminds me why I like to do what I do here on CC. It's no big deal, but I like to think that the info we give out on this thread helps people to enjoy their visit to our great city.

I am very familiar with all of the places that you mention, including the airbase at Burtonwood. I don't know when you last saw it but there isn't very much at all to remind you that there was ever a base there. As you probably know, a section of the M62 was built right along the main runway. Nowadays, there is a great deal of building on either side of the motorway where the base used to be. Huge warehouses and distribution hubs now straddle the road and there is only the very occasional glimpse of an overgrown part of the apron.

I actually lived in Anfield until I was about 6 years old. The part where I lived has been all but flattened and is being redeveloped, and Huyton is not far from where I currently live.

I see you are in Orlando, and we get across there quite regularly. Not, as you might think, for the big mouse guy, but to see some American friends of ours that live in Ocoee. Lovely part of the world.

Take care. Hope you get "home" some time soon. Drop in here and let us know when you are coming!

T:)

Towncar T,

I'm not sure when we'll be getting "home." The last time we were there was in summer of 2011.

We're on a TA from Southampton on the Eclipse in November. We're flying over a few days early and my cousin and her husband are meeting us in Southampton to spend 3 days in and around Southampton before we embark on the TA.

My Mum & Dad were there on a Burtonwood AFB reunion this spring. We'll be there soon, though.

Keep on being the wonderful ambassador to Liverpool that you are (and You'll Never Walk Alone!).

Vivien

• 2 weeks later...

Another beautiful day in Liverpool today. Looks like cruising season is pretty much over for Liverpool for another year, with a record number of ships (for recent times!) visiting. Even more expected next year. It would be nice to hear from anyone who visited this year to get your feedback on the city.:)

Hi Towncar T -- once again, i have booked the British Isles cruise. I am determined to do it this time!! (Aug 1, 2015) ... This itinerary is better for the time in Liverpool which makes me even happier. The last time, the ship was to arrive at either 4 or 6 am and leave around 2 or 3 pm....this cruise is much better with a more "normal" time of 8am-6pm....so, over the next year, I am sure I will have some questions -- thinking a Beatles tour and "ferry cross the Mersey" and a walk around town! :D:D

Hi Towncar T -- once again, i have booked the British Isles cruise. I am determined to do it this time!! (Aug 1, 2015) ... This itinerary is better for the time in Liverpool which makes me even happier. The last time, the ship was to arrive at either 4 or 6 am and leave around 2 or 3 pm....this cruise is much better with a more "normal" time of 8am-6pm....so, over the next year, I am sure I will have some questions -- thinking a Beatles tour and "ferry cross the Mersey" and a walk around town! :D:D

Hiya. Much better times, I agree. You should be able to pack in a lot during that day. Plenty of time to plan too, so I expect to see you back with lots of questions.:)

Edited by Towncar T