Serenade or Voyager? Which Should We Pick?

Hi! We are trying to choose between 2 itineraries, for my husband, myself, our 15yr daughter and 17yr son. Please give me your advice on which to pick!!

Serenade - San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Antiqua, St Lucia, Barbados, 1 day at sea

Voyager - Miami, St Thomas, Nassau Bahamas, Labadee Hispanola, San Juan, 2 days at sea

I'm counting on you EXPERTS to help me out! This will only be my 2nd cruise and the first time I went to these boards and got all kinds of excellent help! THANKS!

We have done both...with our daughter who is now 19 ( 17 on Voyager and almost 19 on Serenade). I recommend the Serenade. The ports are great and the service on the ship fantastic. She was bored at Labadee, but loved the islands on the other trip. Also, the captain took us very close to other islands on the way back to San Juan...great views. The Voyager is an awesome ship also, I would just vote on the Southern trip...my opinion.

We have sailed Voyager and Brilliance (Serenades sister ship)... Personally you won't be disappointed in either. They are both great. I would also choose Serenade but my reason for that is the ship. The ship is very elegant while still having the options that the kids will enjoy. Either one would be great. I agree that the itinerary on Serenade sounds better as well. I think you will have a great time on either, I would not hesitate to do either of those class of ships again.

I am not crazy about either Nassau or Labadee. It is fine to go to each once but I try to avoid cruises that will bring me back to either of those places a second time. Even though this is not one of the options that you listed I would just throw out that if you are considering Serenade out of San Juan but you decide that you want to do a Voyager class ship, which I love, you could do Adventure from San Juan to an at sea day, Aruba, Curacao, at sea day, St. Martin, and St. Thomas.

The thing holding me back from Serenade's route is that it only has one sea day. Four ports with two sea days works best for me.

Thanks! We did check out the Adventure's itinerary, but ruled it out cause it goes Sunday to Sunday, not Saturday to Saturday. Thought the Sat dates would work better, have a day to unwind and get ready for the kids to go back to school.

Anyone know it there is a teen disco or area on the ship?

Can't say for sure, but we saw teens 'hanging out' in small (safe-looking) groups several times last January. Yes, what is safe these days, I don't know either - but they were generally polite and were not running around.

I vote Serenande too, both on Ports and Ship. Smaller / Newer ship. Ports just a tad more exotic. San Juan air is not as expensive as you might think. Plus it is a US destination in terms of customs, etc. Easy flight for us.

Long-winded review here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=6368

Archived