Dilemma: NCL Pearl vs. RCI Adventure of the Seas

iphotograph

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago, we've cruised for the first time to the Mediterranean with NCL Gem. We absolutely loved it... everything about the free-style cruising.

We want to go on a 7-day cruise again in August this year. This time, we want to take our little boy with us who will turn 5 then.

Here's the dilemma: we can't decide which one of the two cruises would be best for us!

I'm thinking of southern Caribbean, departing San Juan, Puerto Rico. I find the RCI Adventure of the Seas itinerary very interesting: San Juan - Barbados - St. Lucia - Antigua - St. Maarten - St. Croix - San Juan. We have enough airline miles we can use to fly to San Juan.

We are also considering an Alaskan cruise with NCL Pearl. My husband and I know that the ship is very similar to the Gem. However, this particular cruise is much more expensive than the RCI Adventure of the Seas.

(1) To those of you who have cruised with any of the two ships mentioned above, do they some sort of kids' club? If so, how much does it cost hourly?

(2) Generally, are there lots of young kids on Alaskan cruises? Or is it more for adults generally? Are there things to do to keep them entertained while at port (in Alaska)?

(3) If we go with RCI, is a balcony stateroom a must for southern Caribbean itinerary?

(4) We haven't been to the Caribbean. How do you usually explore the islands - taxi or ship excursions?

(5) My husband is so worried about August being the peak of hurricane season. Do the southern part of the Caribbean get hit more often?

Please share your thoughts. We would very much appreciate them!

Thanks in advance.

-Brent and Irene

WOW!! Two very different itineraries.

Yes, Alaska tends to skew older but it is still very much a family friendly destination. The activities are different in Alaska than the Caribbean but lots of things for even little kids to enjoy.

There is no charge for the kids club on RCCL, except the late night hours. I believe NCL is the same, but can't be certain (I recommend asking about the kids clubs for both lines on the Family Cruisers board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)

No a balcony stateroom is not an absolute must on a Caribbean itinerary, especially one with only one sea day. But with 3 in a stateroom I do recommend going for the largest cabin you can reasonably afford (after taking all other costs into account) for either itinerary.

For the southern caribbean, it just depends on what you want to do. I haven't been to St. Croix, but most of those islands you can grab a taxi to a good beach if that is all you want to do, but there are some great independent excursions in those ports as well.

Yes, August is hurricane season. The southern caribbean tends to be less affected but it is always a possibility. You have lots of options of alternative ports in the southern caribbean if a hurricane shows up in your path. Do not be concerned though as the Captain and the cruiseline will do their best to give you a great cruise.

You mentioned liking NCL's freestyle dining. RCCL is supposed to have their My Time Dining implemented on all their ships by the time you sail so that will be an option for you.

When you are comparing costs, remember to compare the costs of airfare to San Juan for the AOS versus to Seattle for NCL Pearl when comparing cruise costs.

wrp98 is correct.

IMHO, with a 5 yo, the Southern Caribbean on RCI Adventure is better - warmer and beaches. There are boat/beach excursions that he will enjoy with you.

If you take 5 yo on Alaska cruise he may not be interested in the scenery and may prefer to spend his time in kiddo clubs.

Also, don't worry about the hurricane season. The captain NEVER directs his ship into hurricane - he will take you somewhere else.

I was on the Explorer of the Seas this summer (sister ship to Adventure) and I have been on both the Star & Dawn of NCL. (similar designs to the Pearl and Gem, which are sister ships.)

I did not like the layout of the Explorer as compared to the NCL design. Three elevator banks (forward, mid, aft) on NCL as compared to only 2 (forward, aft) on RCCL. The aft elevators were extremely crowded on the Explorer because almost all of the major public areas were assessed from the aft elevators. (main dining rooms, buffet, Library, Computer Lab, entertainment areas (rock wall, mini golf), many of the bars, Kids Club, Main Pool, Ice Rink, Information/Pursers Desk, photo lab.... all accessed by the aft elevators.) Many times you had to get on an elevator going the opposite direction you wanted to go just to get on one!

My daughter loved the Kids Club on every NCL cruise she has been on (especially Dawn & Star) but hated the Kids Club on RCCL where she said she was bored with a lot less to do. She did like the rock wall, inline track and putt putt available on RCCL, but those were family activities.

As far as food, the buffet on RCCL was better than NCL but the Main Dining room food was far inferior on RCCL. It was the same choices every night and the food had very little taste. NCL's food is better. I did not go to the Specialty Restaurant on the Explorer becasue it was twice the price of the Italian restaurant on NCL.

My mother and father have both cruised the Pearl to Alaska and the Explorer this passed summer and rank the Pearl as a much better ship than the Explorer.

Another thing that I did not like on RCCL was the fact that we had to be out of our cabin by 8:00 a.m., but did not disembark until 11:30 a.m.... lots of sitting around in the public areas with nothing to do... very boring for my daughter especially. On NCL we have always been able to remain in our cabin until called to disembark.

As far as the itinerary.... Alaska is incredible. It is well worth taking a trip there. While your child may not be into the scenery as much, my daughter loved the things that we did in the Alaskan ports. Glacier Bay is amazing! If you go in July or August, Alaska can be in the 70's and very comfortable.

I was on the Explorer of the Seas this summer (sister ship to Adventure) and I have been on both the Star & Dawn of NCL. (similar designs to the Pearl and Gem, which are sister ships.)

I did not like the layout of the Explorer as compared to the NCL design. Three elevator banks (forward, mid, aft) on NCL as compared to only 2 (forward, aft) on RCCL. The aft elevators were extremely crowded on the Explorer because almost all of the major public areas were assessed from the aft elevators. (main dining rooms, buffet, Library, Computer Lab, entertainment areas (rock wall, mini golf), many of the bars, Kids Club, Main Pool, Ice Rink, Information/Pursers Desk, photo lab.... all accessed by the aft elevators.) Many times you had to get on an elevator going the opposite direction you wanted to go just to get on one!

My daughter loved the Kids Club on every NCL cruise she has been on (especially Dawn & Star) but hated the Kids Club on RCCL where she said she was bored with a lot less to do. She did like the rock wall, inline track and putt putt available on RCCL, but those were family activities.

As far as food, the buffet on RCCL was better than NCL but the Main Dining room food was far inferior on RCCL. It was the same choices every night and the food had very little taste. NCL's food is better. I did not go to the Specialty Restaurant on the Explorer becasue it was twice the price of the Italian restaurant on NCL.

My mother and father have both cruised the Pearl to Alaska and the Explorer this passed summer and rank the Pearl as a much better ship than the Explorer.

Another thing that I did not like on RCCL was the fact that we had to be out of our cabin by 8:00 a.m., but did not disembark until 11:30 a.m.... lots of sitting around in the public areas with nothing to do... very boring for my daughter especially. On NCL we have always been able to remain in our cabin until called to disembark.

As far as the itinerary.... Alaska is incredible. It is well worth taking a trip there. While your child may not be into the scenery as much, my daughter loved the things that we did in the Alaskan ports. Glacier Bay is amazing! If you go in July or August, Alaska can be in the 70's and very comfortable.

How old was your daughter when on the Alaskan cruise?

I understand that NCL is better than RCCL but the OP has a 5 yo boy ...

We loved the Pearl & Southern Caribbean.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond! Yes, two very different itineraries - and we haven't been to Alaska nor the Caribbean, that's why it's not easy for us to make a decision. I guess, in a way, it's helpful for us to know about not worrying too much about the hurricane season, especially in the southern Caribbean.

On NCL Gem, we were able to order room service. Do they offer this kind of service on RCCL cruises?

We really like the freestyle dining on NCL and are not too picky about food. Will we be able to eat (fingerfood, snack) ANYTIME on RCCL?

We really don't have any specific must-do things other than to take our little boy on his first cruise and have fun as a family. And have access to food/snacks in case we get hungry at night! :)

DAGVBSB, I am curious, too. How old was your daughter when you took an Alaskan cruise?

Yes, there is room service available on RCCL. You can even get the menu from the main dining room through room service during dinner hours. Room service is available 24/7, though they are instituting a late night room service delivery fee. If you don't want to pay that, you can go to the Cafe Promenade 24/7 for things like sandwiches, pizza, etc.

Also, RCCL is in the process of introducing an anytime dining program called My Time Dining. It will be available on Adventure of the Seas by the time you wish to sail.

I understand that NCL is better than RCCL

Definitely a subjective statement. I whole heartedly disagree that NCL is better than RC in any way. NCL has it's good points, but my last cruise with them was all but a complete deal breaker as far as ever sailing with them again. I'm sure I will in the future but not anytime soon.

As for what the Op is looking for, the Southern Caribbean is my favorite itinerary. I have had some hit or miss problems with cruising out of San Juan, but the ports are unriveled.

Balcony - No, it is not an absolute must, but pulling in and out of those Caribbean ports while watching from your balcony is awesome. If you can swing it, do it.

Exploring the islands - The ship's excursions are usually the best. You can also surf the internet for private tours. In St. Lucia, make sure you go see the Pitons.

Hurricanes - Do not concern yourself with it. I live in a big hurricane zone and cruise all the time in the summer. If there is a threat, the ship will re-route. You'll be safe.

Archived