A little musical fun

Lokalona

OK I think with all the complaints some of us have had we should also offer up a lighter side. I must admit on this latest cruise there were some very funny moments to look back upon...

1. Imagining the look on my husband's face while he was on the john and the fire team busted through the cabin door telling him to get out now!

2. Watching the stack of plates fall on the Gale Force day at the Lido buffet, only myself and the service help were standing there when the Zui pitched a good one and all the plates went flying. When we righted, we all three looked at each other and in unison said, 'I didn't do it" then busted out laughing.

3. Seeing quite a few shower caps on in the hot tub and pool....

4. watching my mom in delight over a spanish coffee and flambe' bananas foster, she was so delighted at the presentation.

5. having Jerry the wine steward, he was a giggle every night.

6. At the finale show, the night right before the Gale Force, the singers and dancers preformed the song from Titanic, the Celine Dion one...I watched more people with a puzzled look come across thier face...interesting choice I thought.

I can sum my cruise up in a few theme songs;

Day two...Smoke on The Water...Deep Purple

Day four Tortola... the Sea and See became the Gilligans Island theme on the boat Airborne

Day five...The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot "Gales of November"

Day five...Theme to the Beverly Hillbillies...except what came bubbling up was not oil...

Day Five...Theme to Hawaii Five O

Day Five....Liar by Three Dog Night..."we will get it cleaned up right away"

Day six...The theme to Hair, (braid your hair miss?)

Day seven....Back Home again In Indiana..sung yealry at the 500 by Jim Neighbors

Day two...Smoke on The Water...Deep Purple

Day four Tortola... the Sea and See became the Gilligans Island theme on the boat Airborne

Day five...The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot "Gales of November"

Day five...Theme to the Beverly Hillbillies...except what came bubbling up was not oil...

Day Five...Theme to Hawaii Five O

Day Five....Liar by Three Dog Night..."we will get it cleaned up right away"

Day six...The theme to Hair, (braid your hair miss?)

Day seven....Back Home again In Indiana..sung yealry at the 500 by Jim Neighbors

Now that's a good review!

:) -dave

The only song on this list that I truly know is Back Home Again In Indiana (and I know hundreds---if not thousands---of songs!)

Says something about the "typical" HAL passenger. :D

Ruth,

Music happens to be a huge part of my life, old stuff up to today. Grandparents on both sides were musical, one being in the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra and the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra, the other played piano at Carnege Hall...

I grew up in a college town during the Viet Nam era and saw a few protest concerts by Joan Biaz and Neil Young among just a few. Spent a large part of my life going to music events, I tend to enjoy finding the "theme song" for some of my expierences...I will just start humming it as the moment unfolds...Just today I was moving some leaves out of my yard, hopefully the last of the fall to be removed so I can mow one last time and found myself humming Autum Leaves, which my grandfather used to play on his sax (Frank Sinatra was a huge influence with him) I love that song still and Eva Cassidy (deceased) does a great vocal rendition of it. So of course now you see why I thought of all theses songs on vacation. I can't believe you don't remember the TV show Hawaii Five-O? Jim Neighbors happens to still sound the same as he did years ago, a very gracious man still.

Our musical theme for our cruises is always the same. We bring our portable CD player and place it on our veranda each and every sail away. It sets the mood for us.

We sail with Enya. We flow with the Orinoco and we Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away.

For some reason we never seem to tire of it and it sets a lovely mood for the entire cruise.

Linda

Ruth,

I can't believe you don't remember the TV show Hawaii Five-O? Jim Neighbors happens to still sound the same as he did years ago, a very gracious man still.

Oh, sure I remember that song---and a few others on your list---but I won't attempt to sing them!

You may not have been surfing these boards when I did my daily posts from the ship this year and last. I head every post with a song title pertinant to that entry. In the two cruises I made close to 67 entries and repeated a song title once (besides the title of the thread:The Happy Wanderer). Next year's cruise is 35 days worth of titles. Now that's going to be a challenge! Most of the ports are going to be a repeat.

The only song on this list that I truly know is Back Home Again In Indiana (and I know hundreds---if not thousands---of songs!)

Says something about the "typical" HAL passenger. :D

That, like you, they're too young to remember the songs of the 60's and early 70's? :rolleyes:

-dave

That, like you, they're too young to remember the songs of the 60's and early 70's? :rolleyes:

-dave

Many of us are young at heart even as we age. I know the stuff from the 60's and 70's is my era, and I still like listening to those tunes. The 40's and 50's are my parent's tunes and I remember so many of those. My dad was in the Navy, when not in service he worked the Ohio River and Mississippi on down to New Orleans on barge boats. I used to go with them when I was a little kid in the summer. The water has always beckoned and the sailors so talented in their musical abilities in the evenings. Harmonicas, banjos, fiddles and voices. I only wish my own kids had this opportunity that was so real, not so hi tech and flashy as today. I would be covered with mosquito bites and the smell of 6-12, you could yell across the Mississippi or Ohio river and count until your echo came back. The sound of the water and the rock of the boat putting you to sleep at night. I guess the only kind of "cruising" my kids will remember is luxury cruises...I still sneak my cabin door open a tad and listen to the ocean as we cruise to the next port of call. I love sleeping to that sound!

My dad was in the Navy, when not in service he worked the Ohio River and Mississippi on down to New Orleans on barge boats. I used to go with them when I was a little kid in the summer. The water has always beckoned and the sailors so talented in their musical abilities in the evenings. Harmonicas, banjos, fiddles and voices. I only wish my own kids had this opportunity that was so real, not so hi tech and flashy as today.

Look into canal or river barging (in Europe) for a very small, intimate, make your own music kind of water adventure...

-dave

-dave

Are you so sweet? Or do I have you bamboozled?

Although I know lots of songs since 1950 I'm of the belief that (by and large) most of the really good songs were written before then. Most of the songs I know are from the 20's, 30's, and 40's, although I can go back to the turn of the century quite easily.

That's the style of music I want to hear when I visit the Piano Bar on a ship.

Lokalona,

"Sloop John B" - Beach Boys ..."This is the worst trip I've ever been on."

If you had had a better trip it could have been "Sailing" by Chris Cross - "It's not far down to paradise..." - Jane :)

OK now that song is stuck in my head! Hah! If I don't hear back from HAL it's gonna be "I can't get no Satisfaction" --Rolling Stones!

I am missing the Flambe' dessert right about now...my stomach is growling for afternoon snack and I am contemplating setting the kitchen on fire in order to make some Banana's Foster...I think the Spanish Coffee is out until after the school board meeting tonight...;)

Archived