New Atlantis Tahitian Islands cruise April 25-May 2, 2009

leatherglenn

FYI, guys, I just sent a message to Rich on the "Ask Atlantis" link on the Alum website asking him if he would reveal the entertainment he's planning for us.

I realize the size of the Paul Gauguin won't permit some of the usual Atlantis activities, but I'm sure Rich is putting together some special things for us.

When he responds, I'll post it here.

6+ weeks and counting, guys. :)

Guys,

We are still number 4 on a waitlist for this cruise. Atlantis is telling us that we most likely will not hear from them directly if a cabin becomes available due to a cancellation since all cabins had to be paid 100% at booking.

If anyone knows of a person or couple that must cancel at the last minute please direct them to me as we would purchase the trip direct from them.

Thanks

Guys,

If anyone knows of a person or couple that must cancel at the last minute please direct them to me as we would purchase the trip direct from them.

Thanks

We feel sorry for those of you waiting for a room to open up, especially since almost all of the seats on flights are taken as well. Tough situation to wait it out. How many of you are saying "I wish we woulda......" It really is a once in a lifetime opportunity to do this cruise on the PG.

Imagine the people in the #1 slot are pretty dang antsy about now!!

Hey Fellow Cruisers (PG Cruisers that is):)

As of today, 6 weeks to go, that's 42 days, thats 1008 hours, don't even ask how many minutes LOL :p

As you can tell we are getting a bit excited about this trip.

Even though we were away at Christmas & New Years for a couple of weeks, it's been a long old winter up here in Canada.

Before you know it, we will all be cruising the Tahitian Islands and relaxing in the sun. Opps, I almost forgot about the cocktails (hehehehe)

Cheers

Anthony and Mario:)

A & M (& the rest on board):

It may be a good idea to hit the tanning beds for a few weeks before the cruise. Our last trip to Tahiti was in February, during which we enjoyed summer sun/temps. We got quite tanned. Even though we live in Phoenix we did a month prior in the tanning beds to give us an extra "good base". Boy were we glad we did that! If not, you can slather on the sun block but beware the French Polynesian sun is quite intense.

There may be quite the scramble for shade on the ship (according to Tom's posting).

I'm currently working in Maryland for 2 more weeks, then home to Az for 2 weeks, then working in Alabama for a week and getting home the day prior to the cruise. I miss my partner Gary!! The cruise will be a much needed trip for us.......( & everyone else joining us we assume!)

VagaBlondes, Chester, Gary and the rest of ya.......are you still with our little thread? No doubt you're trying not to get too excited, too early. I'm doing a little pre-planning but have a question to ask those of you that might know.....

Do any of you have any thoughts about "Tahitian Ink"? I toying with the idea of getting a little somthin' somthin' inked on my upper arm while in Tahiti. What precautions need to be taken after getting one? I wouldn't want to miss out on any water activities, but would like to MAYBE get a (small) tattoo if time permits on one of the islands. I kinda hope my partner doesn't read this before I break the news! Any info any of you can share would be appreciated.

Soon we'll be getting our booking #'s so we can plan the rest of what should be a stellar vacation!

Cheers (for St. Patty's Day)

Hey Guys

The way the cruise schedule seems to be working we will be in Papeete on the last day/night and will be using the ship as a floating hotel.

If you like I can ask the guys from Papeete that we have met online if they know of any good and respectable tattoo parlour in the Papeete area.

I wouldn't get a tattoo until your last day as you have to stay out of the pool and water to prevent any infection.

Let me know and I can also ask them the question about the tattoo parlour. Also if you think you are going to do it, go into a tattoo parlour in the states and buy a cream called Tattoo Goo. It is an amazing cream that helps heal your sore twice as fast as anything else. It is amazing stuff.

Send me a email at anthonykovachis@rogers.com if you want us to ask the question.

Cheers

Anthony and Mario

As promised earlier, here's Rich's reply to my question about Atlantis entertainment aboard the Paul Gauguin.

I posted it on the Atlantis Alum Board, too.

Rich has sent you a message on Atlantis Alumni

We marketed this experience as a high-end cruise with minimal (limited) entertainment and that's what you'll find. It's not the traditional Atlantis experience by a longshot, but you'll be blown away by the ports and the onboard experience.

Think of it more as a group of friends on a yacht. That's what the cruise will be.

Thank you.

Best,

Rich

So, doesn't appear as if we'll have the usual theme party nights or t-dances. I expect we'll be exhausted from the aqua-sports and long days in the sun, anyway.

Bring your sunscreen, shades, hats, and iPods and we'll make our own party on the beaches! :p

Gary-

Thanks for the update. It's true. The French Polynesia area is so beautiful that having too much orchestrated fun on the ship might seem to be a little hokey. It was amazing to us on our first visit to Tahiti that during the evening meal it was "madness amongst the table-mates", all raving about what their day entailed. We've never witnessed quite that amount of enthusiasm on any cruise we've done.

Besides, with the incredible price break we've been given, there isn't a lot of extra funding available for excessive frills....IMHO.

I guess we'll have to entertain ourselves.........LIKE WE DO!

Anthony & Mario- thanks for the tattoo info. Maybe I should do it before, (or after) as I don't want to curtail fun for ink! Schlepping luggage might be a *****-

I too had toyed with the idea of a permanent souvenir of the islands when we are there...the jury is still out. I did find in some on-line research a good local site http://www.mooreatattoo.com/ The artist is mentioned in some recent guidebooks, but he is located on Moorea (at least that stop is towards the end of the cruise). Tattoo art orginated in Tahiti, so what a great location to get one...however my issue is that I like the "totality" of the designs, over a fairly large area, larger than I am comfortable getting myself. The size I am comfortable with for an upper arm , shoulder, calf etc doesn't seem appropriate for me personally. Tahitian men typically have entire appendages with repetitive designs /patterns that depict meaningful life events, personal traits and heritage. I find the single images a bit "weak" for me (sea turtle, dolphin, gecko, manta ray, tiki) so I am a bit on the fence as to the idea of getting one. There are two types of tattooing available, the original method of tapping ink into the skin (only a few in Tahiti are trained in this method) and the more common machine tattoos. I am just not sure if I want to spend a couple hrs in a tattoo studio when I could be under the water or roaming around paradise! Maybe we can all discuss on-board over a few mai tai's!:confused:

Jim

There are two types of tattooing available, the original method of tapping ink into the skin (only a few in Tahiti are trained in this method) and the more common machine tattoos. Jim

Thanks for the website Jim. How interesting about the "boar husk". You're right about the totality of the design.....we saw one young hottie who had his entire 30 year life depicted around his calves. What's he gonna use to portray the rest of his life on??!!

At this point I'm 50/50 with going ahead this some time of commemoration of the trip. I'll have to "put this out there" to the husband, as he may even consider this for himself.

Have any of you decided which if any excursions you would like to do? We did the island tour from Papeete on our first day there and it was our least favorite event of everything we've done. Sure, the waterfall was spectacular at the end of the drive, but it was a long 3 hour lecture getting there. Our fave/rave was the drift snorkle, which we will do again, and again, and.....

We were planning to drive to the Botanical Gardens and Gauguin Museum the early afternoon before we get on the ship. Did you guys visit here? Was curious if you had seen it and what you thought. As far as shore excursions, hadn't really studied them too hard yet. Have read that on Raiatea(sp?) the Faaroa River 4wd and outrigger was well-liked so may do that. On Tahaa either the Coral Garden drift snorkel or the overland tour (includes the Vanilla Plantations and a pearl farm visit). We are certified divers, so we'll be looking for a couple good dives...but since we will be also on Moorea for 3 days post-cruise we may focus on the diving then.

We were planning to drive to the Botanical Gardens and Gauguin Museum the early afternoon before we get on the ship.

Fellows, I've heard the Museum is very disappointing - only prints and posters of Gauguin's works (all the originals are in US & European Museums and in private collections - yours, maybe? :-) ). Others who have visited the Museum may confirm or refute this, but just a heads-up.

Five weeks and counting, guys! :p

Fellows, I've heard the Museum is very disappointing - only prints and posters of Gauguin's works (all the originals are in US & European Museums and in private collections - yours, maybe? :-) ). Others who have visited the Museum may confirm or refute this, but just a heads-up.

Five weeks and counting, guys! :p

After doing months af research 2 years ago, we learned the same information about the museum. I'd be hard pressed to be entertained in most ANY museum, so I'm probably not the best judge. We heard several people say they were not impressed with the tour. (However I was probably just a little bitter about Paul Gauguin, thinking I'd never be on a ship with the same name!!!)

We stumbled upon an art gallery in Bora Bora and bought a print of a very intriguing abstract of a rowing competition. The islands have a yearly contest for artists to submit original art to be made into a commemorative postage stamp for the race. The curator of the gallery said....."Oh the artist that won that particular competition just left the gallery, and if you like, she will allow you to commission her to paint you a second original of the piece you just bought". After several cocktails and much deliberation we ordered one and it arrived 8 weeks later to our home. It's a very special memory of a fabulous trip. We hope Tahiti will hold a special place in everyone heart after this cruise......

Looking forward to seen the polynesian Islands. Going with my best friend. Tried to get a third person that really wants to go but our room can not be re-configured for a third person. Anyone looking for a roommate??

Looking forward to seen the polynesian Islands. Going with my best friend. Tried to get a third person that really wants to go but our room can not be re-configured for a third person. Anyone looking for a roommate??

Welcome to the thread! I assume Atlantis is working to find you a room that can host a 3rd person, right? It would involve someone switching rooms but they should be able to work it out. I wonder how the wait list is (or isn't) moving??

You will love the islands. Where are you from and how are you flying to Papeete?

Cheers-

I think the waiting list is a joke for this trip. We were number 13 on the waiting and had given up hope of going to Tahiti until we realized how things really work. You just needed to find someone who can not go on the trip and get them to transfer their room. I am so glad that we kept an eye out on boards like this and were able to get a room. We are so excited to go on our second Atlantis cruise!

I think the waiting list is a joke for this trip. We were number 13 on the waiting and had given up hope of going to Tahiti until we realized how things really work. You just needed to find someone who can not go on the trip and get them to transfer their room. I am so glad that we kept an eye out on boards like this and were able to get a room. We are so excited to go on our second Atlantis cruise!

Happyaggies: Yea, glad things worked out for you! Did you find the room on the Atlantis site or have I missed something on this one? What flight are you on from LAX?

By this time next week we should have received our documents for the cruise!! Has anyone started with the "piling process"? It can be dangerous to start too soon because you might bring way too much stuff, but on the other hand you don't want to forget any of the "essentials" right?

This is only our second cruise but I know one thing, we will not be bringing nearly as much stuff as we did last time. I hope that we can simplify what we bring on this cruise, let see what happens =)

At least packing 10 days of "island-wear" doesn't take up a lot of space. No need for tuxes or suits.....and maybe not much costume wear this year. Don't really need more than one or two long sleeved shirts, as it will be very balmy. I would not expect much clothing at all to be worn during the day!

I've officially started "piling" in the guest bedroom!! Yippee

As promised earlier, here's Rich's reply to my question about Atlantis entertainment aboard the Paul Gauguin.

So, doesn't appear as if we'll have the usual theme party nights or t-dances. I expect we'll be exhausted from the aqua-sports and long days in the sun, anyway.

:p

Well, after looking carefully at our stateroom (#765) we've now discovered that we're right underneath where the late night disco will take place if indeed there will be one. Although we're not party-poopers, after a long day in the sun and some partyin' along the way we're usually ready for sleep a little sooner than when the sun comes up! Guess we'll be using the earplugs from the flight, right?

We're celebrating 20 years together on this cruise, and I am debating with myself about any decorations for the after balcony (banner) or a lil somethin' for the door. Anyone else have any deco ideas? Yikes......only a little more than 2 weeks to go

Archived