New Atlantis Tahitian Islands cruise April 25-May 2, 2009

leatherglenn

We did the Tahitian Princess 3 years ago, and can't wait to return. This is a no brainer for us. I'm waiting for a return call/e-mail to try to snap up a balcony stateroom. There is no other place that has been so magical for us. Motu picnics were fabulous, helmet dive was a blast.....until my tank ran out of air, talk about a scramble up in the boat! The people, scenery, and water activities are simply the best we've experienced. To top it off you're on the PG for a week with a bunch of Mo's!.....blah-blah-blah.

Besides, I need to pick up some more vanilla beans to make some kahlua

Hope to hear from someone early Monday morning so we can reserve our place.

S & G

Hi Steven and Gary,

I am soooooo tempted by this but can't quite take vacation again so soon: was off December and next two weeks off for the RSVP Eurodam cruise in February. April is a bit too soon. Bummer.

I was kidding the big dive instructor on the PG in the reception area...his assistant started cracking up at her boss...so he said...be careful, my ancestors were man eater......my response....so am I. It took about 10 seconds and then came that big Polynesian smile.

I LOVE THE PG!

525.jpg.12af0551a3d3e5a17083421c0f05cf94.jpg

Gary,

I am also going on the Tahiti cruise. I signed up in the roommate share "lottery" for a room with a balcony. I remember meeting you last Fall on the Constellation sailing from London/Barcelona. Let me know if you might be interested in rooming with me.

I've been researching airfares and pre/post lodging in Papeete. Like you I also want to wait and see what prices Atlantis can negotiate for airfare. The only hotel I have found in downtown Papeete is the Mandarin. http://www.hotelmandarin.com/ .... From my perspective, this fits well because it is walking distance to downtown and the ship. From the many blogs I have read, it appears taxis are not necessarily always available. Also, taxi rides cost a bit more than we are accustomed to in the USA.

The reference to the group rate on Air Tahiti Nui is good news, too. I haven't yet booked my air and wanted to wait until Atlantis announced something - even if it was that they couldn't secure a group rate. Since it's somewhat of a monopoly on that route, I'm not expecting much - but even a $100 or so would be welcome.

My understanding, and please note that this is ALL preliminary information that was discussed a month and a half ago, was that Atlantis had secured group airfare rates from Los Angeles as low as $600 per person. Whether or not that materializes is yet to be seen, and I am not sure how much of what Rich and I spoke about were "done deals."

If those figures turn out to be accurate, that is quite a deal on airfare as well!

My understanding, and please note that this is ALL preliminary information that was discussed a month and a half ago, was that Atlantis had secured group airfare rates from Los Angeles as low as $600 per person.

Wow!! I hope that's true and that Atlantis releases the group rate before the cruise sells out. The only thing that is holding us back from booking the cruise, is the airfare, especially from ATL it's over $1600 in coach each.

As a side note, does anyone know on a air group rate, whether you can still earn freq flier miles? Not that it's a deal breaker, but it would help me rationalize why we need to book this cruise even more.

My understanding, and please note that this is ALL preliminary information that was discussed a month and a half ago, was that Atlantis had secured group airfare rates from Los Angeles as low as $600 per person.

If those figures turn out to be accurate, that is quite a deal on airfare as well!

More great info. Thanks. I hope Rich is able to get us a group rate in that $ neighborhood for the RT LAX/Papeete flight. It's certainly worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what Atlantis can do before booking on my own.

I'm not sure Air Tahiti Nui is part of any global alliance - their website certainly doesn't mention it. But, for some reason, I recall a reference somewhere to an association with American Airlines. If so, perhaps air miles can be accrued on American. That's not my preferred carrier, but it's bettern than getting -0- miles at all.

BTW, for those who are considering a post-cruise outing, I'm thinking of flying back to LA on the day of disembarking and spending 2 or 3 nights in WeHo and enjoying all that LA has to offer before flying home to SF. Anyone interested in sharing a hotel room in WeHo for a couple of nights: May 3, 4 (5)? :)

Hey all - first time poster but have been on a dozen Atlantis Cruises. We just booked on the PG this am - and they said they only 10 or so balcony rooms and 9 window rooms left - so don't delay if interested! I also asked about the airfare and they recommended to just go ahead and book air as any Altantis deal will not be much more than what all the travel sites get (it may be $600 off but off the 'full price' fare) and as the plane fills up (esp on the day we dis-embark) the flight prices will only go up and offset any discount. (And with the cruise almost sold out without offering airfare discounts - they are not going to have to worry that the high airfare is going to keep people away).

Do you think Malcolm will be onboard or will they send him to the resort week at Cancul instead? I'm hoping they have one or two 'good' Atlantis regulars.

Less than 3 months away!

Gary-

ATN is a partner with American. You can earn miles as follows:

Eligible Air Tahiti Nui Fare Classes*

Class of ServicePurchased Fares Booked In:Mileage Accrual PercentageEconomy ClassY, M, K, H, T, L*100%Business ClassD, J100% + 25% bonusFirst ClassP100% + 50% bonusAmerican Airlines and/or Air Tahiti Nui reserve the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.

* L inventory is not eligible for mileage accrual for flights taken on/after April 1, 2008.

I am not sure if special negotiated fares earn miles - and I do not think (but am not sure) that miles count towards elite status (so-called Elite Qualifying Miles). You might want to check with AA.

Gary,

I am also going on the Tahiti cruise. I signed up in the roommate share "lottery" for a room with a balcony. I remember meeting you last Fall on the Constellation sailing from London/Barcelona. Let me know if you might be interested in rooming with me.

I've been researching airfares and pre/post lodging in Papeete. Like you I also want to wait and see what prices Atlantis can negotiate for airfare. The only hotel I have found in downtown Papeete is the Mandarin. http://www.hotelmandarin.com/ .... From my perspective, this fits well because it is walking distance to downtown and the ship. From the many blogs I have read, it appears taxis are not necessarily always available. Also, taxi rides cost a bit more than we are accustomed to in the USA.

Sorry, I overlooked your message. I booked a share cabin, too, but mine's in the cheap seats: Deck 4, window (not balcony). So, we're both playing the lottery - just in a different cabin category.

I'm still debating what to do re: pre- and post-cruise. Currently, since we don't embark until the evening of the 25th (for a 10:00 PM departure), I'm thinking of arriving on the 25th and not doing any pre-cruise stay. At the end of the cruise, I'm thinking of departing that same day (it's a late evening flight, so I'd have most of the entire day to sightsee in Papeete - what little there is to see) and spend a few extra days in LA before heading home. If an LA/WeHo post-cruise adventure is of interest to you, let's chat, Chester.

I'm trying not to spend too much on this trip because I definitely want to book the Atlantis '10 NZ/Australia cruise with multiple days pre- and post-cruise as add-ons. That's my budget's priority now, so I'm skimping a little on Tahiti. Think about the '10 cruise, Chester, and we'll talk about it. ;)

Here's the response I received from Oceania about their relationship with Regent Seven Seas. :(

Even though Oceania and Regent are sister companies, we have different loyalty programs. Cruises taken on Regent are not included in the Oceania Club program and vice versa. Regent milestones are determined by days at sea and Oceania milestones are counted by cruises.

Oh, well, at least we know. See you guys on the cruise.

We were shocked to learn that there was one "aft-balcony" stateroom available still this past Monday so we snapped it up in a hurry. A few years ago when we did the Tahitian Princess we were in an aft suite and there is no better way to enjoy the islands. Departing from each island was so beautiful (& private!!) from the back. I don't know about the PG, but on the Princess the balconies were about 15 feet deep so we had quite a little party for the "MO's on board" a few times. It looks like there is very little difference in the balconies on the PG. I've not had any time this week to check into airfares or pre-post stays, as we're doing a roller coaster tour in Florida to celebrate DH's 50th! As a matter of fact I had just gotten off of the "Incredible Hulk" when Mike called from Atlantis informing me about the aft stateroom.........then I was really dizzy!

Last time we flew on Air New Zealand which was perfect for timing, but they don't fly every day according to Mike. We stayed post-cruise at the Mandarin which was fine for a crash pad type of place. It was clean enough, and we were able to tote luggage the 2 blocks from the ship ourselves. I think it was in the $90-100 range at that time. True, there isn't a lot to see in Papeete but everyone MUST get a fabulous flower arrangement for their room from Le Marche (huge open air market) across from the pier. We got a very exotic 3' tall one for less than $20 and it lasted almost the entire 10 day cruise! If anyone has questions about excursions, we've done some of them through Princess, so ask away.

Looking forward to meeting you all-

FYI, in today's SF Chronicle in the Travel Section there's an article on gay travel companies. Of course Atlantis and RSVP are mentioned. But, an interesting note is that Olivia (the all-women travel company) is hosting the same itinerary on the Paul Gauguin in mid-March and the cheapest cabin is $3,999 per person! So, we are getting a really sweet deal, guys.

Thanks, Rich, for being able to capitalize on this terrific opportunity on our behalf.

See you all in paradise. ;)

I need some advice from anyone who has been to Papeete. I was wondering how difficult it is to find a taxi from the cruise terminal to the PPT airport for a 0730 flight. I am sure taxis are more readily available during the day, but I wonder how this works for early morning flights. I am leaning toward booking the 0730 flight PPT/LAX on Air France. I noticed several others in this thread have been there in the past. Can someone comment on their experiences with taxis? Thanks so much.

Hey Milemrker63,

As of this morning the cruise looks like it is almost sold out.

We agree high cost airfare but I think it will be well worth it.

Cheers

Two4funtimes:)

This sailing sounds awesome but the air is outrageous. When the group air rate is posted then I will seriously consider this sailing.

My partner and I are also on the 0730 morning flight with Air France back to Los Angeles. Possibly we can spare a cab to the airport together. I am sure we will meet on board the ship and can discuss it.

Cheers

Anthony and Mario Cabin #816

;)

I need some advice from anyone who has been to Papeete. I was wondering how difficult it is to find a taxi from the cruise terminal to the PPT airport for a 0730 flight. I am sure taxis are more readily available during the day, but I wonder how this works for early morning flights. I am leaning toward booking the 0730 flight PPT/LAX on Air France. I noticed several others in this thread have been there in the past. Can someone comment on their experiences with taxis? Thanks so much.

I am leaning toward booking the 0730 flight PPT/LAX on Air France. I noticed several others in this thread have been there in the past. Can someone comment on their experiences with taxis? Thanks so much.

I, too, am leaning toward the Air France flight at 7:30 am. And, if I book that flight, I'll be looking for a taxi share, too.

If you're booking the Air France RT from LAX, what are your plans after arrival in Papeete at 4:30 am (or so)? Are you arriving a day early or the day of the cruise departure?

I'm trying to decide whether to add a day at the beginning to recover from the flight so I'm enjoying the cruise from the get-go. If there are others who are thinking the same and want to share a hotel room on the night of April 24, let me know. I'm thinking of a hotel downtown - within walking distance of the cruise wharf.

Hey Gary

We are leaving Los Angeles on April 23 on the 22:30 Air France flight arriving in Papeete at 03:50 on April 24th.

We have booked the evening of the April 23 and 24th at Le Mardarin Hotel as we wanted to be downtown to experience whatever Papeete has to offer.

I don't think Air France has a flight leaving Los Angeles on the 24th and if they do we didn't take it as we wanted to be rested for the first night on the cruise.

Cheers

Anthony and Mario;)

I, too, am leaning toward the Air France flight at 7:30 am. And, if I book that flight, I'll be looking for a taxi share, too.

If you're booking the Air France RT from LAX, what are your plans after arrival in Papeete at 4:30 am (or so)? Are you arriving a day early or the day of the cruise departure?

I'm trying to decide whether to add a day at the beginning to recover from the flight so I'm enjoying the cruise from the get-go. If there are others who are thinking the same and want to share a hotel room on the night of April 24, let me know. I'm thinking of a hotel downtown - within walking distance of the cruise wharf.

Hey Gary

Correction, Air France does have a flight on the April 24, but we are taking the flight on the April 23rd to be rested for the first day on the ship.

It is one extra night but whether we are hanging out in LAX or Papeete we are still hanging out.

Our flight from Toronto gets us into LAX on April 22, so we are already overnighting there one night.

We would rather do the other overnights on the island.

Cheers

Anthony and Mario;)

Hey Gary

We are leaving Los Angeles on April 23 on the 22:30 Air France flight arriving in Papeete at 03:50 on April 24th.

We have booked the evening of the April 23 and 24th at Le Mardarin Hotel as we wanted to be downtown to experience whatever Papeete has to offer.

I don't think Air France has a flight leaving Los Angeles on the 24th and if they do we didn't take it as we wanted to be rested for the first night on the cruise.

Cheers

Anthony and Mario;)

Hey Gary

I thought there was a 4/24 Air France flight, but I hadn't booked anything, yet.

I was thinking of the Hotel Le Mandarin, too, if I arrive a day early. I have a phone number, but could not find (yet) a website. Do you have a website/e-mail address for booking purposes? I understand it's about 2 blocks from the cruise wharf. It's not luxe, but then for 7 nights we have luxe on the Paul Gauguin, right?!?!

See you guys in about 10 weeks! :p

Usually on Atlantis cruises, Atlanis will arrange a transfer from the ship to the airport for those who are leaving immediately. I haven't heard about that for this cruise, but will call to inquire. I'll share whatever I find out with you guys for those who are thinking of same-day departure.

;)

Gary

The hotel website is www.hotelmandarin.com

We called the hotel directly and are paying $210.34 USD plus taxes $241.83 USD nightly. It is an average style hotel not luxury but Papeete is very expensive.

We did alot of research and found this one a good deal for the location.

Looking forward to meeting you all in only 10 short weeks :o

Cheers

Anthony and Mario;)

I thought there was a 4/24 Air France flight, but I hadn't booked anything, yet.

I was thinking of the Hotel Le Mandarin, too, if I arrive a day early. I have a phone number, but could not find (yet) a website. Do you have a website/e-mail address for booking purposes? I understand it's about 2 blocks from the cruise wharf. It's not luxe, but then for 7 nights we have luxe on the Paul Gauguin, right?!?!

See you guys in about 10 weeks! :p

Gary,

like Anthony and Mario I am really leaning toward flying to PPT via Air France on evening of 4/23; then staying 2 nites at the Mandarin in downtown Papeete. I am willing to pay for the first short night in Papeete just to have a place to unwind and rest after the long journey and nite flight. I plan to fly out of PPT on the 0730AM Air France flight on 5/2. I plan to buy airfaire etal this coming weekend. I am too busy with work this week to finalize all this. I am willing to roomshare at the Mandarin if you are interested. My only real concern at this point is finding a taxi into Papeete at 0330 when we arrive; although I suspect we can reserve a taxi to meet us at the airport.

Gary,

like Anthony and Mario I am really leaning toward flying to PPT via Air France on evening of 4/23; then staying 2 nites at the Mandarin in downtown Papeete. I am willing to pay for the first short night in Papeete just to have a place to unwind and rest after the long journey and nite flight. I plan to fly out of PPT on the 0730AM Air France flight on 5/2. I plan to buy airfaire etal this coming weekend. I am too busy with work this week to finalize all this. I am willing to roomshare at the Mandarin if you are interested. My only real concern at this point is finding a taxi into Papeete at 0330 when we arrive; although I suspect we can reserve a taxi to meet us at the airport.

Chester, you've got a deal. I have an e-mail at home from the Hotel Le Mandarin with rate quotes for 1 and 2 person accommodations. I had contacted them about availability for one night (April 24) and a couple of days ago there was availability. If you'll provide your home e-mail, we can discuss more. I, too, was planning to book my airfare on Air France this weekend. (BTW, if you go directly to the Air France website instead of that of their partner, Delta, you get a better deal.)

Let's chat more this weekend, Chester - or at night after work: sfgoguy@comcast.net. :)

Gary,

Don't book your Air France airfare until we've chatted. I may have a "deal you can't refuse!" :eek: More later, guy.

Don't book your Air France airfare until we've chatted. I may have a "deal you can't refuse!" :eek: More later, guy.

Gary,

that all sounds good. I will not book anything until we chat this weekend. My home email is cporzucek@gmail.com .... I had intended to book via Orbitz. I was planning to fly Continental and connect to Air France in LAX. I thought it might be best to book it as 1 through ticket just in case there are any issues with delays etc. :)

-Chester

Archived