Cruise Ship Tours of St. Petersburg

Mimi39

Although most people on cc recommend taking a private tour company such as Red October, Anastasia, Alla, etc., I'm wondering if anyone has positive feedback on the two day Princess tour of St. Petersburg. Here are my concerns about private tours: are the recomendations posted here accurate, is the hassle Princess gives private tour participants at disembarcation very determental, what if, in today's economy, one of the smaller companies suddenly goes out of business and doesn't show up for your tour and also potentential problems with the vehicle or traffic which would prevent getting back to the ship in time for sailing (Princess would wait if it is their tour).

On the hand is the Princess tour too intensive and fast paced for seniors with slight mobility problems?

I've got to say for all the hype about private tours, after contacting them I wasn't impressed. Like the Russian Rubble versus the USD has collapsed and when I questioned them why their prices had not adjusted according, I have not received acceptable answers from any company. Someone at the top is being very greedy and the amount does not seem to be getting to the tour guides.

As a result, we are opting for the Princess excursions. Some are definitely more intense than others. So if you don't feel like doing 9 hours of straight touring a day, you might opt for some of the slower placed ones. Just make sure like we did, that you make a list of your top 5 things you want to see, and then figure out what works best for you. We opted for the intensive ones as we figured this was a once in a lifetime experience. I think you should do the same, but if you feel tired I'm sure the tour guide would have no problem arranging with you a place to rest that they can re-meet you at.

Just to address the concern about the "hassles" of getting off the ship to meet a private tour -- we had no hassle whatsoever on Princess. We wanted to get a very early start to the day, so we met our group at the gangway shortly before the published disembarkation time. No one questioned us at all and we were probably about 10th in line to leave the ship and met our tour guide almost before they were expecting us.

I think the sheer volume of positive recommendations by trusted posters here (e.g., posters who have a large number of posts and who aren't just singing the praises of one particular company) should be sufficient proof that the well-known tour operators provide a good product. We were extremely happy with our choice to use Den Rus for our two-day visit. The tour groups we ran into looked large and cumbersome. You can't really dodge traffic in the Hermitage, for example, with a group of 45 in tow. And of course you are only as fast as the slowest person in the group....

We've done both ship tours and private tours. Both can work well and serve your needs. In St. Petersburg, there are a number of different companies. It depends on what you need and can afford. Whether by private or ship tour, the skills of the actual guide can vary. Some are better. A few are best. Some are only average. With a smaller, private tour, you have the potential to control and direct what you get, need and want. In some cities, that's important, while other times you're just doing a basic introduction to the town that is fairly simple and easy. On ship tours, check with the staff on the ship to make sure what you are planning to do will really fit your needs and expectations. In Oslo, we were saved by the staff from going on a tour that would have been more for "older folks" and would have missed seeing the key gardens and sculpture that we loved so much in that other tour.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I would go with a private, reputable company. One is actually advertised on this very site (RED). I did this with my mother (in her 70s) and we were able to control what we saw and when. I actually emailed them a list of things I wanted to see, and they did the planning.

For example: When we went to the Catherine Palace, our guide (a school teacher) knew the guards. With my mother in tow, we were ushered into a private entrance and were able to use an elevator to the second level -- no crowds, even though there was an enormous line out front. Inside, in each room, even the enormous, cavernous ones, it was mother, the guide, and me -- ALONE! We were able to spend a long time, alone, in each room, asking as many questions as we wanted or moving along if we got bored with something. We never had a line or anyone else to bother us.

After the Catherine Palace, we were driven TO THE DOOR of the Alexander Palace. This was the last palace that the last Czar lived in, and from which he and his family were taken into exile. We were the ONLY tourists there, as NONE of the ship tours go here. (It was within walking distance of the Catherine Palace.) This was a delight, and something I will never forget. Much of the palace was in the original condition as when the Czar was there (unlike the Catherine Palace that was pretty much destroyed by the ****s).

This same day we were able to see some private military monuments, inclluding a major one to the millions of civillians who died in St Petersburg during the **** seige. No cruise tour took you there. She then took us to a true art school in a narrow street. Students (college age) were actually painting, and we were able to select several reasonably priced new icons, complete with real gold additions! We went to a local church and purchased candles form the babushkas to light (we were otherwise ALONE in this lovely neighborhood church). We visited a few other sites that day also.

The other day we spent seeing the sites around St. Petersburg itself (Hermitage, etc.), again with this same red company. We lonved our time.

Was it worth it, YES! When we returned to the ship the day of the Catherine Palace, one of our ship friends who had gone on the ship cruise went ONLY to the Catherine Palace, waited in lines for hours, and were herded through, not seeing much. That was their whole day. They were tired and exhausted.

Plan the trip with the private company. You will love it.

Any questions? I will try to answer them.

--Robert

I would go with a private, reputable company. One is actually advertised on this very site (RED). I did this with my mother (in her 70s) and we were able to control what we saw and when. With my mother in tow, we were ushered into a private entrance and were able to use an elevator to the second level -- no crowds, even though there was an enormous line out front. Inside, in each room, even the enormous, cavernous ones, it was mother, the guide, and me -- ALONE! We were able to spend a long time, alone, in each room, asking as many questions as we wanted or moving along if we got bored with something. We never had a line or anyone else to bother us. Was it worth it, YES! When we returned to the ship the day of the Catherine Palace, one of our ship friends who had gone on the ship cruise went ONLY to the Catherine Palace, waited in lines for hours, and were herded through, not seeing much. That was their whole day. They were tired and exhausted. --Robert

Robert makes super great points on the key advantages on private tours, especially in St. Petersburg. Not having to wait in line, being able to spend the time you need in these places, getting your questions answered, etc. These are very, very vital and key. From our experiences with Anastasia, we had certain of the same types of GREAT PLUSES in doing a private tour.

Good morning Robert & Terry,

We can also say that private tours have their place in certain ports of call along with HOHO busses, walking tours and sometimes in rare cases ship tours. We like to experience all we can with the locals.

On our transatlantic cruise last year we had two ports of call in Morrocco (Casablanca and Agadir). Due to the uneasy world happenings they cancelled those two ports, but we had already decided that ship tours were the way to go for more than one reason.

Terry - my husband and I have a road trip planned for this Sunday to Columbus. We will watch the OSU wrestling team versus Minnesota in the Schott at 11:00 am. GO BUCKS!!!

Diane and Roy

Good morning Robert & Terry, We can also say that private tours have their place in certain ports of call along with HOHO busses, walking tours and sometimes in rare cases ship tours. We like to experience all we can with the locals. Terry - my husband and I have a road trip planned for this Sunday to Columbus. We will watch the OSU wrestling team versus Minnesota in the Schott at 11:00 am. GO BUCKS!!!

Excellent point, Diane & Roy, on one of the benefits to ship's tours. In Stockholm and Copenhagen, the tour guides are unionized and you are into about a $100 a hour cost. Can't it afford it there for a private guide, nor do you need it in the same way as works in St. Petersburg. One rule or idea doesn't fit for every place and circumstance.

With the snow and cold weather, enjoy your trip to Columbus. We were there Wednesday night for the OSU basketball win over Michigan at the Schott.

Friends did the ship's tour in St. Petersburg and loved it. I have a hunch that St. Petersburg is so impressive you'll love any tour you take there. I can't speak about the mobility issues. What is listed in the ship tour information?

We did the two day tour in St. Petersburg last year when we were on the Crown Princess and enjoyed it. We never waited in any line, as we were always one of the first tour groups at any given place.

We going via Holland America - was your 2 day tour a ship tour? I guess HAL has two day tours as well.

We did the two day tour in St. Petersburg last year when we were on the Crown Princess and enjoyed it. We never waited in any line, as we were always one of the first tour groups at any given place.

We going on HAL and usually do ship cruises and have not had a disaster yet! Was your 2-day in St.P. a ship tour?

I have a hunch that St. Petersburg is so impressive you'll love any tour you take there.

Great point on how super and wonderful is St. Petersburg. You will love it either way you do your tours. Making sure you go there is JOB ONE! On some of the ship tours, many of them tend to focus on doing either morning or afternoon tours, making you come back to the ship mid-day. Given St. Petersburg's size as a city of five million people with its traffic and congestion, that adds up to lots of wasted time, back and forth, etc. A private, full-day tour, if designed correctly, can be more efficient and less tiring than the alternatives from what can be accomplished and seen in two half-day tours.

We traveled with Princess for the Baltic tour last July the ONLY tour we did was a private driver/guide for our party of 6 (two teenagers, 2 parents, 2 grandparents) it was the best thing we did our entire trip. We were off the ship within 5 minutes and through customs in another 10 minutes. Do not let the "hassle" deter you from a private tour.

Although most people on cc recommend taking a private tour company such as Red October, Anastasia, Alla, etc., I'm wondering if anyone has positive feedback on the two day Princess tour of St. Petersburg. Here are my concerns about private tours: are the recomendations posted here accurate, is the hassle Princess gives private tour participants at disembarcation very determental, what if, in today's economy, one of the smaller companies suddenly goes out of business and doesn't show up for your tour and also potentential problems with the vehicle or traffic which would prevent getting back to the ship in time for sailing (Princess would wait if it is their tour).

On the hand is the Princess tour too intensive and fast paced for seniors with slight mobility problems?

Here is a link to a just-posted report from 2 recent Princess cruisers (on the Princess board), with lengthy discussion of St. Petersburg. One did a private tour and one did the Princess tour. Perhaps it will give you some additional insight, or you can ask the poster for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791572

I had earlier posted that we were going to go with the Princess tour and changed our minds. We learned that lunch lasts for up to 2 hours with singing and dancing and entertainment. To our family that is a huge turn off and waste of time and money.

I think it's really up to you though what's important and what you want to see and last of all how much you really want to to spend. You may want to check out the value tours that some of the companies offer. They appear similar to the ship tours but much cheaper.

We booked a private with Anastasia because we could make our days tailor to what we wanted. Basically no lunch break and 12+ hours a day of site seeing.

We booked a private with Anastasia because we could make our days tailor to what we wanted. Basically no lunch break and 12+ hours a day of site seeing.

It can be a long, long day if you are going to try to "GO AT IT" for 12+ hours straight. I would strongly suggest having a mix or flow of your activities as ride/sit and then walking around/standing, then ride/sit and then walking around/standing, etc., etc. That helps make the day more enjoyable.

Our travels in the van between the country palaces, then riding the hyrdofoil, the canal boat ride, etc., helped us rest and have the best pacing for a long day. Taking a box lunch from the ship and/or grabbing a quick sandwich at the Peterhof can also help "REFRESH" you as you see and do so much. You don't want to try to do too much so that your trip to St. Petersburg is a "BLUR".

Has anyone done the Catherine's evening ship's tour? It sounds enchanting. Am trying to budget for it. What is essential to see besides the Hermitige, Peter's fountains and Catherines?

If you are talking about the Imperial Evening at Catherine's Palace, I did it and it was truly a memorable experience. First of all, you get the Palace practically to yourself to walk around. (There are people dressed up in livery greeting you and making you feel like guests.) Then you are treated to a musical performance in the large reception room; a little music, a little dancing, a glass of champagne. We also got a chance to see the coach museum in one of the outbuildings -- definitely don't pass that up.

The dinner was in a restaurant VERY close by (you could see the front of the Palace from the windows) and was lots of fun. Russian folk music had everyone clapping and tapping along; the food was good and the vodka was plentiful. Even when we finished eating we could still walk outside and see the Palace due to the long days.

It was expensive, but due to our itinerary and the days we were there, it was easiest to see Catherine's Palace on this excursion as it would've been hard to fit it in during our 2 normal days of touring with Den Rus.

Has anyone done the Catherine's evening ship's tour? It sounds enchanting. Am trying to budget for it. What is essential to see besides the Hermitige, Peter's fountains and Catherines?

The two Cathedrals in St. Petersburg are super great and very, very impressive. Both are must sees, in my view. Below are pictures of them inside and outside. They are St. Isaac's Cathedral and Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral. The art inside and the detailed craftsmanship are among the best in the world. You might also consider a canal boat trip. It gives you a chance to sit and rest a bit, plus see some of the super neat buildings and architecture from a different angle.

1C-StP-SBext.jpg.a99a37248a521652c9b69cf035c189c9.jpg

1C-StP-IssEx.jpg.3dd1b436c70c4dc9da75f6feb48dd41b.jpg

1C-StP-CathInt.jpg.2ba20f1415f9e3b37e004868050d5f5e.jpg

1530953684_1C-StPCathB.jpg.d5e6429e3a6dbdc6f677dd28853fc7d0.jpg

849743906_1C-StPCathC.jpg.c5eb566b64795c378d00d639668196ed.jpg

Archived