Covered or uncovered?

Auntiejo

I'd like to get opinions on covered blaconies vs. partially covered vs. completely exposed. My gut tells me covered is best due to privacy and also in case of rain (we're going to the Med in May).

But then I was thinking exposed might be nice because you'd have a more open feeilng when you're out there.

Thoughts please from experienced balcony cruisers?

I have spent a few cruises on the Dolphin deck which are uncovered and I can say that it has never bothered me at all. I am out there and I look back up, people are looking down, we wave or say hi to each other and then we go our merry way. Now for some people it does bother them but hey that is why we have choices of what cabins we choose.

Marilyn

I'd like to get opinions on covered blaconies vs. partially covered vs. completely exposed. My gut tells me covered is best due to privacy and also in case of rain (we're going to the Med in May).

But then I was thinking exposed might be nice because you'd have a more open feeilng when you're out there.

Thoughts please from experienced balcony cruisers?

If you have the choice and the money, go for partially covered. Good compromise.

We had totally uncovered Dolphin mini suite and it was OK. Did get a nice view of the stars. But we lucked out; the people above us were NEVER on their balcony at the same time as us. Not at sailaway, not coming into port, not at night and not in the morning. (The cabin was booked; we checked) Even so, we did watch how we were dressed every time we stepped out on our balcony. Another disadvantage is the amount of wind you will get as the boat moves along at 20 knots. We did not get rain.

We also had totally covered. The down side is that I like to record where we are using a GPS. Totally covered makes it harder to get a reading; you need to hold the GPS overboard. On a Carnival ship in which we were immediately below Lido deck, we never could get a reading from our balcony. If you also like to sun, totally covered means more privacy but less chance of being in the sun. But you do get less wind.

Our choice between totally covered and totally open is totally covered, but several decks down from Lido. For our next trip, we have paid extra for Baja balcony versus Dolphin mini suite.

Hope this helps.

We've been in a Dolphin mini-suite (uncovered), a suite where it was completely covered, and a Baja balcony where it was completely covered and I prefer the covered. During sea days, we would rather lounge on our balcony than by the pool or a public area and I don't always like to be in the sun. Also, if it's raining, I can still enjoy being out on the balcony.

Our first cruise on the Golden we had an uncovered mini and totally hated it. There was no privacy. My wife likes just sit on the balcony maybe nap or read a book, that didn't happen..In the mornings we would find garbage and cigarette butts on the balcony...never again !!!

Done both. Some covered balconies don't really offer much protection. Rain (and sun) doesn't necessarily fall vertically. We haven't really had any complaints with uncovered balconies. Once, a guy was a bit too curious but my wife embarassed him into proper behavior, and every once in a while we'll find a bit of stray trash but nothing like what was described in the previous post - I'm not saying that doesn't happen, just that it hasn't happened to us.

Archived