Carnival Triumph review-Employment Standards on board?

NickCDN

Ok now I'm worried - this will be my fathers first cruise and he is in a wheelchair - we are sailing on the Triumph in March - What if anything can he do to better get around the ship??

I hate people that jump infront of the handicapped or elderly on elevators when they can actually use their legs!! I hope he doesn't get discouraged.

My mom is "handicapped" (has the plates on her car) but she is not in a wheelchair. I would do simple things like either go a little early, or a little late to dinner (about 10 minutes). We seem to be naturally late to dinner - though I don't want to be too late as it is rude to the waitstaff - as my mom doesn't give herself enough time to dress and get to the dining room. By then, the crowd has thinned. If you are going to the theater, I afterward, I would send someone from your party ahead to get the seats where the wheelchairs can fit in beside you.

Eating breakfast and lunch in the dining room may also be easier since you aren't up and down all the time and dealing with trays; and there is NEVER a crowd.

When you leave dinner, don't hestiate to jockey for the elevator and hold the door for your father. I would feel free to speak up if people jump in front.

The trade off is you may have some benefits as a result; in our past 2 cruises, we have been put with the plat. guests and boarded with them.

Remember, attitude (a good one;)) is everything!

Ok now I'm worried - this will be my fathers first cruise and he is in a wheelchair - we are sailing on the Triumph in March - What if anything can he do to better get around the ship??

I hate people that jump infront of the handicapped or elderly on elevators when they can actually use their legs!! I hope he doesn't get discouraged.

You can also do what I used to do with my mom. She was in a wheelchair and people would try to jump in front of her so when the elevator arrived I would block other people with my body and wheel her in. I would also say in a firm voice "PLEASE LET THE WHEELCHAIR ON FIRST". Most people will realize their rudeness and hang back to let her in. You'll get the once in a blue moon person who still shoves but for the most part once they are reminded they are nice about it.

Just wanted to point out that the OP's point of view does not represent all Canadians. Not all of us are self righteous, condescending a**holes who think are farts don't stink.

To the OP, please keep your politics off of a cruise line message board and that "trash" remark was really out of line.

Just wanted to point out that the OP's point of view does not represent all Canadians. Not all of us are self righteous, condescending a**holes who think are farts don't stink.

To the OP, please keep your politics off of a cruise line message board and that "trash" remark was really out of line.

We met great Canadians on our cruise to Halifax and St. John. DH was a naturalized Canadian citizen for many years and always talks about returning to Montreal for a visit.

My husband and I were on the same cruise with the OP and he truly is a nice guy. NickCDN, Gwynn & I and our friends who cruised with us fell in love with your daughter. As MonaCK said, she's adorable.

One thing needs to be known about this cruise. It was a very unusual pax mix for a Carnival cruise as the average age of pax was between 60 and 65. The cruise experience was a bit squirrely, not because of the average age but more because many (I mean many) of those seniors came from two large cruise bookings (300+ each, all from the US) and the groups of seniors were among the more rowdy pax I have seen on a ship.

And as I get flammed I will say that my husband and I are senior citizens, have cruised 25 times and felt we were among the younger pax on this ship.

This was the fourth time DH & I have cruised with the head Maitre'D of the London dining room and 2nd time we cruised with his assistant Maitre'D. The two talked to us many times through the cruise about the problems pax were presenting to the staff. Seems many of them were rude and demanding and the staff was becoming unglued due to their demands.

Again, I interject that these were rude, demanding American senior citizens presenting most of the problems from pushing their way in front of wheelchair pax at elevators to complaining that their glass of ice water wasn't cold enough.

To say it simply, this cruise was interesting and a journey down a different road of Carnival cruises for us. I prefer to bag it in our growing list of wierd experiences we've had in life and continue down our path to more fun cruises.

Dianne

My husband and I were on the same cruise with the OP and he truly is a nice guy. NickCDN, Gwynn & I and our friends who cruised with us fell in love with your daughter. As MonaCK said, she's adorable.

One thing needs to be known about this cruise. It was a very unusual pax mix for a Carnival cruise as the average age of pax was between 60 and 65. The cruise experience was a bit squirrely, not because of the average age but more because many (I mean many) of those seniors came from two large cruise bookings (300+ each, all from the US) and the groups of seniors were among the more rowdy pax I have seen on a ship.

And as I get flammed I will say that my husband and I are senior citizens, have cruised 25 times and felt we were among the younger pax on this ship.

This was the fourth time DH & I have cruised with the head Maitre'D of the London dining room and 2nd time we cruised with his assistant Maitre'D. The two talked to us many times through the cruise about the problems pax were presenting to the staff. Seems many of them were rude and demanding and the staff was becoming unglued due to their demands.

Again, I interject that these were rude, demanding American senior citizens presenting most of the problems from pushing their way in front of wheelchair pax at elevators to complaining that their glass of ice water wasn't cold enough.

To say it simply, this cruise was interesting and a journey down a different road of Carnival cruises for us. I prefer to bag it in our growing list of wierd experiences we've had in life and continue down our path to more fun cruises.

Dianne

I am sure Nick and family are nice, but he did start with the politics and trash thing. Sorry, but nowadays just not right......we need to stand up for ourselves and not let others put us (Americans) down.

Dianne

EVERY cruise I've ever taken was different than any other one. All ships passengers have a collective personality. We do not get to pick that personality, it just happens.

I expect all future cruises will also be unique on to themselves, I hope so.

Dan

EVERY cruise I've ever taken was different than any other one. All ships passengers have a collective personality. We do not get to pick that personality, it just happens.

I expect all future cruises will also be unique on to themselves, I hope so.

Dan

That's why we who love cruising keep coming back to the sea and new experiences.:cool:

Dianne

Dianne

I have been trying very hard not to talk about the fact that there were so many seniors on this trip - because I am not one. That being said - I think that within the group there were some nice folks - but the majority seemed to be like you stated, Dianne - rude, condescending, and thinking that the world revolved a bit around them, and that folks should cater to them because they were part of the large group...

An antidote: Adam and I went up to the Lido deck to have a cheeseburger on Saturday afternoon (this was after we met with all of you again). We had a difficult time finding a table because -ever- table in the aft section was taken up by folks of 4 playing cards... adam and I mused that this might be just what they do on a regular ol' saturday in their communities.

Like you, we are chalking it up to an interesting experience. Our group manages to have a good time no matter who is around us, so any of the negative stuff were not cruise dealbreakers for us. Nor did they turn us off to Carnival. But it did make me wary to cruise in January again :)

I have been trying very hard not to talk about the fact that there were so many seniors on this trip - because I am not one. That being said - I think that within the group there were some nice folks - but the majority seemed to be like you stated, Dianne - rude, condescending, and thinking that the world revolved a bit around them, and that folks should cater to them because they were part of the large group...

An antidote: Adam and I went up to the Lido deck to have a cheeseburger on Saturday afternoon (this was after we met with all of you again). We had a difficult time finding a table because -ever- table in the aft section was taken up by folks of 4 playing cards... adam and I mused that this might be just what they do on a regular ol' saturday in their communities.

Like you, we are chalking it up to an interesting experience. Our group manages to have a good time no matter who is around us, so any of the negative stuff were not cruise dealbreakers for us. Nor did they turn us off to Carnival. But it did make me wary to cruise in January again :)

Gwynn & I have cruised on Carnival in January several times and never had this type of experience before. We always thought January was a good time to be away from loud, rowdy, partying kids on spring break. Never thought we'd run into such a huge number of rowdy, partying seniors on senior break.:D

Some people may not understand what we are talking about but then they weren't among our rather large group of CC members trying to have an informational meeting in an out-of-the way room on board that just happened to have 4 female senior citizens having a cut throat game of cards.:eek::D

Got to love it and laugh about it. But it truly was an experience to remember.

Dianne

First, I have to say that I am not what you may call a "experienced" cruiser, but I love it. The last two cruises were on Carnival and we had a wonderful time. I guess that makes us part of the "trash".

I want to know why so many people from Canada come to the US for surgeries if the health care system is so wonderful. I lived in Arizona and from September thru April the hospitals were full of Canadians getting their knees and hips replaced. A good number of them were having heart surgery too. Many told me that the wait time for their particular surgery was 2-3 years. I don't think I would like to limp around for 2 years waiting on someone to fix my knee or hip. (not to mention fix my heart)

Sounds like you need to stay away from Carnival and go back to loving NCL. If they are that great I wonder why they aren't the #1 cruise line in the world.

Archived