What's on YOUR packing list?

Never cruised but travel often and always try to pack as efficiently as possible. What I do is make a list of what I plan to wear each day and night. I try to pick a color pallette (either black or brown) and mix & match outfits. I only bring what I plan to wear and only 1-2 pairs of shoes (plus the ones I wear there). I lay it all out on a bed and actually make each outfit to see if I have enough or if I have too much. I use travel size toiletries (or use the travel size bottles to fill with stuff that doesn't come in small sizes). I also try to pack "old" underwear, pjs, tee shirts and socks and throw them out after they are worn (leaves room for stuff on the way home). I DON'T bring a lot of extra stuff "just in case". I am not too much of a "fashion plate" and really don't try to impress anyone when I travel.

After four cruises, we have learned to: pack less items.

On our first cruise, we took about three suitcases of clothing, not knowing what we would need. Obviously, not that much! Plan for shirts/shorts that are interchangeable. Wrinkle free fabrics. We wore our swim suits, on many excursions/sea days.

Think comfortable clothing; you are in for a relaxing adventure.

I pick basic colours for shorts and pants and tops that will go with nearly all of them so I can mix and match. I take floral skirts with several coordinating tops each to cover all the dinners, except the formal nights for which I have one fancy black skirt and two beaded tops. I keep shoes and accessories to a minimum. I'm limited to one suitcase that I can handle by myself for two weeks of cruising so I take only what I need and nothing extra. So far I haven't taken anything I didn't need and didn't miss anything I didn't take. I just think basic and coordinated and don't take anything that stands alone.

em

My best advice is to go through your own routine and take what you need to get by and leave the extra and what if's at home. We take all our own toiletries, no surprises or mysteries for us, plus a small first aid kit with typical OTC meds.

Clothes, well we have learned what works and what doesn't. Although I'm a bit of a clothes horse at home, I don't feel the need to haul the closet along when traveling. We mix and match, have a few things laundered or dry cleaned onboard the ship. I don't happen to notice if someone else is wearing something 2-3 times and I don't happen to care if someone notices that I do.

Looking good and fashion is more quality than quantity anyway ;)

i pack 2 or 3 light sundresses, they act as cover-ups at the pool and are nice and cool for port days. 2 bathing suits. then one evening dress and a few other mix-and-match pieces for evenings, with fun jewelry to change the looks. shoes-wise i only pack 2 pairs of sandals -- i have sandals that have a bit of a heel so they're dressy enough for evening, but they're very comfy so i can walk around in them on port days.

everything else except my sunscreen is travel-size. i can get everything in one smallish suitcase.

Archived