RSVP Norwegian Star 4/18/09

SteveInPDX

I'm always up for a cocktail or 2 (or more).

:)

So, do a lot of people do the door decoration thing? I haven't cruised in several years and this is the first I'm hearing of it. If so, I'll leave that up to the (retired) florist partner!

Sounds like we'll all need a drink or two or three... etc... when we get onboard.

(FYI... my partner and I have discovered a simple trick for you new cruizers. After years of cruizing and holding onto water downed drinks at the parties and on the dance floors, we switched to shots. They're cheaper, stronger and ya get drunk a whole hell of a lot faster. Words of wisdom my friends!!!)

Myself and two friends from San Francisco are also booked on this cruise. Unfortunately, we're not flying in until the day of the cruise so no chance of meeting up with everyone arriving day prior.

For those worried about distance from LAX to the port in San Pedro, on a Saturday traffic in LA is much easier to deal with than on weekdays. Only takes about 20-25 minutes from the airport to pier side. As mentioned, unless there is a group of you, Super Shuttle (or any type of shared ride service) is your best (read cheapest) bet.

This will be my second RSVP cruise and after having worked in the cruise industry for almost 9 years, this is the way to go. For those first timers, now you'll know what it's like to be a straight person on a straight cruise... only the party atmosphere and energy will be much better than a regular cruise. The staff onboard always try to get assigned to the ships that have a gay charter booked since the activites, the passengers and the overall mood onboard are so much more exciting.

Sounds like we'll be getting there almost a little TOO early, then (our flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:15ish). So hopefully there's a place near the pier to get coffee and/or some food.

I've really heard nothing but good about the RSVP cruises (other than from people who just hate cruises in general), so I've got high hopes!

Myself and two friends from San Francisco are also booked on this cruise. Unfortunately, we're not flying in until the day of the cruise so no chance of meeting up with everyone arriving day prior.

For those worried about distance from LAX to the port in San Pedro, on a Saturday traffic in LA is much easier to deal with than on weekdays. Only takes about 20-25 minutes from the airport to pier side. As mentioned, unless there is a group of you, Super Shuttle (or any type of shared ride service) is your best (read cheapest) bet.

This will be my second RSVP cruise and after having worked in the cruise industry for almost 9 years, this is the way to go. For those first timers, now you'll know what it's like to be a straight person on a straight cruise... only the party atmosphere and energy will be much better than a regular cruise. The staff onboard always try to get assigned to the ships that have a gay charter booked since the activites, the passengers and the overall mood onboard are so much more exciting.

The earliest I could get there from Atlanta was 11am -- so that should put me on the ship right around when they are starting to board.

I am hoping to snooze a little on the plane to minimize some of the jet lag and wearyness -- since by the time I get on the ship - I will have been up since 0100 LA Time. If I can sleep on the plane - I should be good to go!

I have taken an Atlantis Cruise -- and not yet taken an RSVP until this one. In looking at the weekly schedule for the Eurodam that is currently occuring - the RSVP looks a little more relaxing; maybe a little less party. They actually have some academic type people joining the cruises -- so it should be pretty good.

This is my first time on NCL as well, and with freestyle cruising -- so all in all these next 49 days need to SPEED BY!!!!!!

Found a great deal on a direct flight from NOLA to LA. I don't sleep well on planes, but I'm hoping to nod off, too. I have an mp3 of a rainstorm that will hopefully drown out all of the noise.

I did an NCL cruise in the days before "freestyle" (in 1996). No complaints, other than the boat breaking down on the last night (water in the fuel). It made us late getting back to the pier and disembarking. When I got to the airport, my flight was already boarding and I did NOT want to spend the night in Miami. I yanked the nearest porter aside, showed him a $50 bill and said, "My plane is boarding right now- What can you do?" Ah, the days before 9-11.... He bypassed me through all kinds of checkpoints and got me on board! Worth every penny of that $50!

The earliest I could get there from Atlanta was 11am -- so that should put me on the ship right around when they are starting to board.

I am hoping to snooze a little on the plane to minimize some of the jet lag and wearyness -- since by the time I get on the ship - I will have been up since 0100 LA Time. If I can sleep on the plane - I should be good to go!

I have taken an Atlantis Cruise -- and not yet taken an RSVP until this one. In looking at the weekly schedule for the Eurodam that is currently occuring - the RSVP looks a little more relaxing; maybe a little less party. They actually have some academic type people joining the cruises -- so it should be pretty good.

This is my first time on NCL as well, and with freestyle cruising -- so all in all these next 49 days need to SPEED BY!!!!!!

My partner and I have been on 5 RSVP cruises now and I would say 50-60% decorate their doors. Some go all out, others just do simple designs. (Remember, you have to carry all of those "decorations" onboard.)

I've seen everything from personal pictures to wild theme doors. It's your call. All the cruiselines ask is that the decorations don't obstruct the hallways or are not offensive to the crew. (Although I've seen lots of questionable things.... but those are the most fun!!!)

Either way it's fun to personalize your space. Plus... it's easier to identify your door after stumbling back home from the parties... or when inviting back "new friends".

I'm always up for a cocktail or 2 (or more).

:)

So, do a lot of people do the door decoration thing? I haven't cruised in several years and this is the first I'm hearing of it. If so, I'll leave that up to the (retired) florist partner!

Hey floridaken77!

We have always found RSVP to be more conservative. Definitely more couples than singles. Atlantis has a reputation for being more of a "party boat"... but honestly you make what you want out of it. With RSVP, you can party all night or just lounge arou. They really cater to everyone. They try to offer different options. I've seen everything from financial planners, Dance Divas and of course HOT Go-Go Boys!!! That's what makes it such an enjoyabe experience... options!

-Steve

I skipped Mardi Gras this year, for the most part. I just had so much other stuff going on.

I actually live in Baton Rouge, but it's only a 50 minute drive from NOLA, so I typically fly from there.

I'm coming through your neck of the woods next month -- wanted to visit NOLA while there was nothing major going on -- time to take some more pictures...

We came up with a "theme." It's a little naughty, but if it were a problem, we could easily tone it down with some slight modifications.

And not to bother you and others with stupid questions- but how do people go about hanging these decorations? Are the doors metal? If so, I'll be opting for magnets for a lot of things. Will over-the-door wreath hangers work? I'm trying to stay away from tape, as I'm sure they won't be too happy with tape residue left on the doors!

Yes, I'm obsessive, and I'm boredto death, home sick with a cold (but better now, than in April!).

My partner and I have been on 5 RSVP cruises now and I would say 50-60% decorate their doors. Some go all out, others just do simple designs. (Remember, you have to carry all of those "decorations" onboard.)

I've seen everything from personal pictures to wild theme doors. It's your call. All the cruiselines ask is that the decorations don't obstruct the hallways or are not offensive to the crew. (Although I've seen lots of questionable things.... but those are the most fun!!!)

Either way it's fun to personalize your space. Plus... it's easier to identify your door after stumbling back home from the parties... or when inviting back "new friends".

We came up with a "theme." It's a little naughty, but if it were a problem, we could easily tone it down with some slight modifications.

And not to bother you and others with stupid questions- but how do people go about hanging these decorations? Are the doors metal? If so, I'll be opting for magnets for a lot of things. Will over-the-door wreath hangers work? I'm trying to stay away from tape, as I'm sure they won't be too happy with tape residue left on the doors!

Yes, I'm obsessive, and I'm boredto death, home sick with a cold (but better now, than in April!).

It depends on what you want to hang. I used double sided tape on last week's Caribbean cruise and it worked very well - it came off fairly easy.

I do believe the doors are completely metal.

Hey RSVP Cruisers!

Let's build some buzz and excitement for the RSVP Mexican Riviera Cruise! We've got less than 3 months before we set sail and I know I'm getting excited.

Let's shout-out a roll call to see who's joining us.

Steve

Hi Steve! I'm 90% sure I'm going to book a solo cabin on the Star come Monday. I'm ready for a break. Make that soooo ready for a break.

I've never taken an RSVP (or Atlantis) "AFOD" (All Friends Of Dorothy) cruise before. Hmmm...and now that I've said that...I'm wondering...does RSVP/NCL host Friends Of John Wayne gatherings for the straight minority aboard this sailing?! :rolleyes:

I've always wanted to take one of these cruises. The timing was never right. This time it looks good. However, I'm going this alone. Any advice here from the group for a solo single (available, fun, fit, reasonably hot and generally nice-guy) homo traveler? :cool:

Besides being a Friend of Dorothy, I'm also a friend of Bill W. Any other dual friendships planning to come aboard? :p

As another available, fun, fit, reasonably hot and generally nice-guy I say come one! :-) I booked -- first time travelling fulling single - so I am excited! Tho - I am playin roomate roulette with RSVP so thats exciting in and of itself!

Hi Steve! I'm 90% sure I'm going to book a solo cabin on the Star come Monday. I'm ready for a break. Make that soooo ready for a break.

I've never taken an RSVP (or Atlantis) "AFOD" (All Friends Of Dorothy) cruise before. Hmmm...and now that I've said that...I'm wondering...does RSVP/NCL host Friends Of John Wayne gatherings for the straight minority aboard this sailing?! :rolleyes:

I've always wanted to take one of these cruises. The timing was never right. This time it looks good. However, I'm going this alone. Any advice here from the group for a solo single (available, fun, fit, reasonably hot and generally nice-guy) homo traveler? :cool:

Besides being a Friend of Dorothy, I'm also a friend of Bill W. Any other dual friendships planning to come aboard? :p

We had a blast on the Eurodam and everybody I have come in contact with have raved that it has been the best cruise ever. I wish you all the same experience we had.

From my experience it seems that everything really starts clicking at that first T dance so go out and get something yellow to wear. I was a bit skeptic about our Twist if Lime Green T Dance but was blown away about how many people participated in the theme. It is not as if everyone owns something lime green to wear.

Are you planning on a Cruise Critic meet-and-greet? We had one with about 110-120 people attending.

I will keep an eye on the thread and if I can answer any questions I will be happy to.

Hopefully, the magnets will work, but if they don't I'll go with the tape.

That will cover the smaller things, but I think we'll also be packing some over the door wreath hangers for some heavier things...

It depends on what you want to hang. I used double sided tape on last week's Caribbean cruise and it worked very well - it came off fairly easy.

You're definitely in for a treat. These cruises are "the only way to travel". Let me know before you book tho. My travel agent does an amazing job with "solo" travelers. He hosts onboard meet and greets so everyone gets to know each other... not to mention they host "THE" infamous leather night party. Email me at twoguysnphx@aol.com and I'll totally help ya with your first booking. I hope to hear from ya soon!!!

Yes... the doors are metal so magnets will work great. Double-sided tape also works well. It usually peels right off.

We also bring a small magnetic noteboard. You can find these at Target. They are dry-erase boards with an attached marker. These are great so you can leave notes for your friends... or for those who you want to be friends with. =)

Hopefully, the magnets will work, but if they don't I'll go with the tape.

That will cover the smaller things, but I think we'll also be packing some over the door wreath hangers for some heavier things...

Glad u had an awesome time on the Eurodam. We're very jealous of ya. We're always on the Caribbean cruise but couldn't make it this year due to my partners work schedule. We'll have to make up for lost time on the "Star".

To my fellow cruisers on the "Star"... lets definitely plan to meet up onboard. We'll set up a time as we get closer to sailing. The "Star" has a Beer Garden onboard. That sounds like a perfect place to me!!!

We had a blast on the Eurodam and everybody I have come in contact with have raved that it has been the best cruise ever. I wish you all the same experience we had.

From my experience it seems that everything really starts clicking at that first T dance so go out and get something yellow to wear. I was a bit skeptic about our Twist if Lime Green T Dance but was blown away about how many people participated in the theme. It is not as if everyone owns something lime green to wear.

Are you planning on a Cruise Critic meet-and-greet? We had one with about 110-120 people attending.

I will keep an eye on the thread and if I can answer any questions I will be happy to.

Yes... the doors are metal so magnets will work great. Double-sided tape also works well. It usually peels right off.

We also bring a small magnetic noteboard. You can find these at Target. They are dry-erase boards with an attached marker. These are great so you can leave notes for your friends... or for those who you want to be friends with. =)

On the HAL Vista ships the Target magnetic dry-erase boards would not stay in place and on the Amsterdam refrigerator magnets kept slipping too. I found dry erase tiles at an office supply store (similar to a cork tile) that is light and stayed put with double sided tape.

I have found it helpful if there are pictures of the occupants on the door too.

You're definitely in for a treat. These cruises are "the only way to travel". Let me know before you book tho. My travel agent does an amazing job with "solo" travelers. He hosts onboard meet and greets so everyone gets to know each other... not to mention they host "THE" infamous leather night party. Email me at twoguysnphx@aol.com and I'll totally help ya with your first booking. I hope to hear from ya soon!!!

Thanks Steve! I'll email you separately.

We've used our dry-erase board on the past 3 cruises, which were all the Vista class design. Our's stayed in place just fine. It was only about 6" x 9" so it was pretty light.

We also tape a business card holder to the door as well for our "trick" cards. For those who don't know what "trick" cards are... they are business cards with our picture and cabin # on one side and then our personal contact information on the others (ie... address, phone and email). These are great for passing out to your "new" friends onboard.

On the HAL Vista ships the Target magnetic dry-erase boards would not stay in place and on the Amsterdam refrigerator magnets kept slipping too. I found dry erase tiles at an office supply store (similar to a cork tile) that is light and stayed put with double sided tape.

I have found it helpful if there are pictures of thr occupants on the door too.

We've used our dry-erase board on the past 3 cruises, which were all the Vista class design. Our's stayed in place just fine. It was only about 6" x 9" so it was pretty light.

Sounds like what we had too on the Zuiderdam. We had the tile on the Eurodam.

We also tape a business card holder to the door as well for our "trick" cards. For those who don't know what "trick" cards are...

Some object to that name for it and prefer 'cruise cards'. (Which I guess could be a double entendre too) :)

Archived