What's Your Favorite Anchorage Hotel & Why?

Travel-Jen

Bump...anyone?

We have found all the hotel prices in Anchorage to be astonomincal, considering the accomodations are 3 star at best. We were booked at the Anchorage Hilton, but have switched to the Comfort Inn Ship Creek because we have a late night flight into Anchorage precruise, and will literally be there for a few hours to sleep before our 10 AM transfer to Whittier via the Alaska Railroad.

Since the Alaska Railroad is right across the street, I thought this would be a good hotel. We were also able to use our Sams Club membership to get 30% off here too. So we went with it.

I'm hoping it was a decent choice.

We do not have a favorite since this is our first Alaska visit. However, we booked the Hilton Anchorage as we could use our Hilton Honors points and stay for free. Otherwise we would be in the same boat...where to stay for one night that was not going to break the bank???

AK Susan knows all of the hotels and locations so hopefully she will post her opinion here for you.

Good luck!

Oh that's perfect for you Lanaki. Originally we were booked at the Anchorage Hilton, as it was very close to the Egan Convention Center. We were originally going to take our precruise transfer to Whittier by bus directly through Princess, but are now leaning more toward a smooth railroad transfer.

And upon looking up hotels near the Alaska Railroad, when researching maps and street views, it was either the Anchorage Grand Hotel or Comfort Inn Ship Creek as the closest.

Again, both were about the same price, about $229 (before taxes) for June, but we got 30% off with Sams Club at Comfort Inn, totalling $169 (before taxes), $190 total after tax. Not bad, considering we get free airport shuttle and continental breakfast as well.

Even though the accomodations aren't as nice as the Hilton, we won't be in the hotel long enough to enjoy them anyway. So I'm hoping this was the best choice. Usually, I don't fret too much about hotels, and find deals I'm happy with quite easily. But for Anchorage, for some reason, I've had such a hard time choosing. As you said, breaking the bank for one night...yikes!

We enjoy the Hilton Anchorage. We will be using our Hilton Honors points for our free stay so that is one plus; the others are its central location, nice rooms and the staff is very accomodating. We could have also stayed at the Marriott but we prefer the Hilton location.

Oh that's perfect for you Lanaki. Originally we were booked at the Anchorage Hilton, as it was very close to the Egan Convention Center. We were originally going to take our precruise transfer to Whittier by bus directly through Princess, but are now leaning more toward a smooth railroad transfer.

And upon looking up hotels near the Alaska Railroad, when researching maps and street views, it was either the Anchorage Grand Hotel or Comfort Inn Ship Creek as the closest.

Again, both were about the same price, about $229 (before taxes) for June, but we got 30% off with Sams Club at Comfort Inn, totalling $169 (before taxes), $190 total after tax. Not bad, considering we get free airport shuttle and continental breakfast as well.

Even though the accomodations aren't as nice as the Hilton, we won't be in the hotel long enough to enjoy them anyway. So I'm hoping this was the best choice. Usually, I don't fret too much about hotels, and find deals I'm happy with quite easily. But for Anchorage, for some reason, I've had such a hard time choosing. As you said, breaking the bank for one night...yikes!

Oh wow! What a great deal you got Jen. Only $190 for Anchorage in June. With a continental breakfast. You did good! Like you said, you are only staying there for the one night so I am sure it will be more then comfortable for that.

Good luck with the rest of your planning. Lanaki

We do not have a favorite since this is our first Alaska visit. However, we booked the Hilton Anchorage as we could use our Hilton Honors points and stay for free. Otherwise we would be in the same boat...where to stay for one night that was not going to break the bank???

AK Susan knows all of the hotels and locations so hopefully she will post her opinion here for you.

Good luck!

We loved the Hilton Anchorage. We had a room on the top floor and it had floor to ceiling windows. We stayed at this hotel because we wanted air conditioning. It is also in a good location for walking pretty much anywhere downtown.

We enjoy the Hilton Anchorage. We will be using our Hilton Honors points for our free stay so that is one plus; the others are its central location, nice rooms and the staff is very accomodating. We could have also stayed at the Marriott but we prefer the Hilton location.

Thanks. That is good to know, that you have been to and liked the Hilton Anchorage. Thank you for letting me know.

We loved the Hilton Anchorage. We had a room on the top floor and it had floor to ceiling windows. We stayed at this hotel because we wanted air conditioning. It is also in a good location for walking pretty much anywhere downtown.

Wow, really? Floor to ceiling windows? I have a request in for a top floor but won't know for sure until we get there. Now I have my fingers crossed that we do get one. Thanks!

Wow, really? Floor to ceiling windows? I have a request in for a top floor but won't know for sure until we get there. Now I have my fingers crossed that we do get one. Thanks!

And it was a total surprise to us when we checked in. We had no idea and did not even request it. I think we got very lucky. We stayed for two nights - one on our own and one part of our Princess package. They let us stay in the room for both nights without having to move but we did have to "check out" and check back. It worked out perfectly. They were very accommodating.

Thanks Lanaki. The reviews are pretty good with the Comfort Inn, but for the price I can't beat it. Especially being right across from the Alaska Railroad.

I'm pretty picky with hotel acocomodations, I admit...and will pay if I have too. But that is only if there is no deal for something equivalent or better. Know what I mean?

Oh well, we are literally checking in at 11PM into the comfort inn, and checking out at 9AM to catch our train at 10AM. So for less than 10 hours in a hotel room, I guess it's not a bad deal.

But man, I really wanted to stay at the Hilton or Marriott...;) Well, I won't fret, better luck next time! I'll keep my eyes peeled for more deals though...LOL!

LOL! You sound like me Jennifer. I love a NICE hotel. Give me a nice view, nice bed and great bathroom and I am there. :D Oh yeah, and location, location, location. But for only 10 hours I think you did the right thing. And I am also always trying to get the best deal. That is why we joined Hilton Honors. So we could stay at nice hotels anywhere in the world for free, or cheap if not enough points for free. The deal is the thing.

Now, if you were going to be there for more then one night you could have used one of the coupons in the book. You have to love the deals in those books. It is saving us so much $$$. Plus we used air miles to get our tickets to Anchorage. I am trying to save every penny I can on this trip so that we can afford the stuff we can't save on.

How many are there in your group? Luckily for us it is just my DH and I.

Lanaki

Hi Jen,

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek for 2 nights last Sept.

Clean, large rooms with very pleasant staff- breakfast included waffles and very varied choices for continental style.

It was also next to the Ulu Factory and we could catch the shuttle to the Heritage Center and Downtown.

For quick 10 hr stay you will not be disappointed- I beleive we also used AAA discount.

Dick & El

Thanks, that makes me feel better. As long as it's clean and convenient, I can handle that. Can't beat for our short time there.

Lanaki - It is also just DH and I...imagine that...LOL! I couldn't imagine planning Alaska for a group...oh help me! ;) We are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this cruise, and DH's birthday. Very exciting for us.

Jennifer - Too funny, we are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. We will be in Juneau on our anniversary. So very excited! How fun that you are doing both your anniversary and his birthday.

I can barely plan for the two of us, I couldn't imagine doing it for a group. You know what they say, you can make some of the people happy some of the time but never all of the people happy all of the time. I could just hear it now if it is not booked JUST right for everyone. Yikes! That sort of stress I don't need. :p

What cruise are you doing? We are taking the Coral Princess from Whittier to Vancouver.

Lanaki - We are doing the southbound on the Sapphire, also doing Whittier to Vancouver. Love the Sapphire, it was voted as one of the most "romantic" ships...so of course we had to try it...LOL!

We are doing a precruise "something" out of Anchorage (still planning that now), just waiting on my Toursaver to see what goodies I have and will decide then...;). Thinking about arriving 2 or 3 days prior to drive to Seward and see Kenai National Park. Maybe some kayaking, and see Exit Glacier. Or the other option would be driving to Talkeetna to get views of Mt. Mckinley and maybe some hiking. We won't make it to Denali this trip, we simply don't have enough time, so will save that for next trip.

But after our precruise "something", we are doing a PWS tour in Whittier, then our 7 day cruise, and doing the White Pass Rail/ Emerald Lake/ Dog Mush with Chilkoot Charters, doing the whale watching/ Mendenhall Glacier/ Salmon Bake combo through Princess (not Harv and Marv because I like the combo the ship offers), and then doing either Misty Fjords or Bering Sea Crab boat (through the vendors in the Toursaver).

After our cruise, we are driving from Vancouver to Seattle, to spend 2 "sleepless days" downtown at the Grand Hyatt to visit Pikes Place Market, the Space Needle and Pioneer Square.

Very exciting 2 weeks, and very much needed vacation...LOL! Can't wait!

What are your plans?

Hey Jennifer - Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip. We only picked the Coral because it matched our dates and itinerary. But the reviews have been wonderful about it so I am very happy with the choice. However, being on the "Most Romantic" ship would have been nice. Lucky you! Hope it lives up to that rep for you and your DH's anniversary. Can't wait to hear all about it.

We are flying in three days for our own precruise tour. We fly into Anchorage and pick up the rental car (downtown as it is way more expensive at the airport) and drive directly to Denali. (After picking up food for the road trip and Denali trip.) That was my biggie...if we are going all the way up to Alaska then I wanted to go to Denali. We are spending two nights there so we have one full day in the park. Then we drive back to Anchorage, possibly hiking more in Denali that morning or going to Talkeenta for a flightseeing/glacier landing trip. (From the TourSaver book.) We spend the one night in Anchorage and the next day we do the Animal Wildlife Conservation Center and then the PWS cruise pre-cruise.

In Skagway we are doing the Yukon Horseback Ride at Emerald Lake. In Juneau we are doing a bear trip out to Pack Creek. Then the Roberts Tram, of course. (Also with the TourSaver coupon.) In Ketchikan we are planning to do the zipline but have not booked that yet.

I doubt if we will ever get to Alaska again so wanted to make the most of this trip. Sorry we will be missing out on the Kenai Pennsula but it can't be helped. I actually have friends who live there in the summer and would have loved to have visited them and see what their lives are like up there. Oh well.

Postcruise we just arrive in Vancouver and get our car at the airport and drive home. You will love Seattle. For a city it's really a nice place to visit. I love Pike's Place. Never been to the needle. You will have a lot of fun. If you have not done the drive from Vancouver to Seattle before you will find it is very easy. Pretty much a straight shot down. Try to take the truck border crossing just east of Peace Arch, the main crossing, as it is usually much, much quicker. As the time gets nearer you can email me and I can give you directions through that way.

Where do you live? We are in Northern Idaho. We actually live about an hour from the Canadian border but further east. So we have to drive through Washington to get to Seattle and then north to Vancouver. We just came back from there about a week ago.

Sounds like you are almost done with your planning. If you have any questions about the TourSaver before you get yours just ask me. I can look it up for you.

Lanaki

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip! My husband wanted to try the ziplining in Ketchikan, but I've done it before, a few times in the Caribbean so it's sort of a "been there done that" kind of thing. It's so much fun, you will love it! The higher the better the ride...;)!

As for Denali, I totally agree with you, I think it is really worth it if you don't know when you'll be back to Alaska. It looks great, and is huge! Where will you stay there? The toursaver seemed to have a few hotels in Denali, one by Princess, not a bad deal.

I fell in love with Kenai researching it online, and being Seward isn't far from Anchorage, with only 2 days it is more realistic for us to do. Mt. Mckinley looks amazing too, so very hard to decide. Still working on our plans though, if we can stretch our time by a day, then Denali it is...LOL! We'll see!

But we are actually in Illinois, in the suburbs outside of Chicago. It's a great city, lots to do. Total city girl, which is why Alaska is so perfect for us for vacation. It's nice to get away from the city life, KWIM? I've heard alot of great things about Seattle, love Pike's Place, looks fun!

Thanks, I'll let you know about the toursaver book. I appreciate it!

Happy - Never stayed there, but have been told on these boards that the Historic Anchorage Hotel is a great boutique hotel. Very close to things in downtown Anchorage. I believe it is right next door to the Anchorage Hilton, not far from the Alaska Rail and Egan Center too.

I'd ask the locals on this board, AK Susan is helpful.

Lanaki - Sorry, forgot to mention in my previous post that you will love the Coral Princess!

I see from your signature that you've been on RCI's Monarch of the Seas before, one of their smaller ships. If you've never been on one of their "Grand" ships...then you will absolutely LOVE the Coral in comparison. All cruiselines have them now, they are HUGE and have lots to do. You most definitely won't be disappointed. Nice choice.

I haven't stayed at the Historic Anchorage Hotel, our HAL cruisetour put us at the Hilton. But we did walk by the Historic Anchorage Hotel and walked inside just to look and take photos. It was wonderful. Maybe not as plush as the Hilton, but the history of the place makes it special.

I wanted pictures, in case I ever returned I could book it myself.

http://www.historicanchoragehotel.com/photogallery.html

Have a great time!

Archived