Transatlatic Cruise-What's the weather like?

Dodger Blue

We're also going on Prinsendam 36 day Transatlantic/Med and black Sea. I was going to bring mostly summery clothes with some slacks, blouses and a windbreaker.and maybe a cardigan However, I'm in New Jersey for 10 days early April - just read from one reply that it can snow or be very cold. With suitcase restrictions - having to fly back to Oz from Rome I'm not keen on taking winter clothes as well. guess I'd better pop in one warm top.

Hi Sydneyite,

we are from St Ives in Sydney.....and doing the TA for 28 days leaving FL on 25th April on the Eurodam.....we did the Black Sea Cruise on the Princedam 3 years ago was a wonderful experience....

Crazy weather tonight just back from Valentines Day dinner....and rain rain and more rain...last week we were in a 40+ heatwave...go figure.....

Cheers,

Cristiano.

rogue-wave.jpg

That's what it looked like during our late December crossing on the old Greek Line QSS Arkadia from Bremerhaven to Quebec City. I was in my teens and didn't know enough to be scared. It was a very exciting ride for me. The crew went to all the cabins and put iron covers on the portholes and all the furniture in the public rooms was gathered in groups and then roped together. Ropes were strung all over the place for people to hold onto while walking around. There was no going out on deck. When it was over there was water in the first class lounge and we were listing a bit as the cargo had shifted. The captain remarked to my father that it was the worst storm he had encountered in all his time at sea.

However on the same voyage, on the day we passed through the Gulf Stream it was so lovely and balmy out that we were outside on the deck in sweaters. I have pictures of a couple of girls sitting on the rear railing (such things were allowed back then) holding on to the flag staff wearing only a sweater and skirt and it was the North Atlantic in the middle of winter.

As we started to sail up the St. Lawrence River we were out on deck looking at the white, frozen landscape and were so happy to be home after two years away. It brought tears to the eyes. However there were a lot of Italian immigrants on the ship who were also standing on the deck with tears in their eyes. They had come from sunny Italy to this:eek: to make their new home.

On the other hand our trip over to Europe two years earlier was a crossing from Saint John to Liverpool and it was a nice calm crossing in January. It was not without drama though-----even though it was a six month old ship (Empress of Britain---later the Carnivale) it lost all power in the Irish Sea and we had to be rescued and towed into Liverpool.

So now, many years later I will be embarking on a late August crossing from Europe to New York City. Been there, done that---bring it on---I can take it. :D----or better yet, the ship can take it.

That's what it looked like during our late December crossing on the old Greek Line QSS Arkadia from Bremerhaven to Quebec City. I was in my teens and didn't know enough to be scared. It was a very exciting ride for me. The crew went to all the cabins and put iron covers on the portholes and all the furniture in the public rooms was gathered in groups and then roped together. Ropes were strung all over the place for people to hold onto while walking around. There was no going out on deck. When it was over there was water in the first class lounge and we were listing a bit as the cargo had shifted. The captain remarked to my father that it was the worst storm he had encountered in all his time at sea.

However on the same voyage, on the day we passed through the Gulf Stream it was so lovely and balmy out that we were outside on the deck in sweaters. I have pictures of a couple of girls sitting on the rear railing (such things were allowed back then) holding on to the flag staff wearing only a sweater and skirt and it was the North Atlantic in the middle of winter.

As we started to sail up the St. Lawrence River we were out on deck looking at the white, frozen landscape and were so happy to be home after two years away. It brought tears to the eyes. However there were a lot of Italian immigrants on the ship who were also standing on the deck with tears in their eyes. They had come from sunny Italy to this:eek: to make their new home.

On the other hand our trip over to Europe two years earlier was a crossing from Saint John to Liverpool and it was a nice calm crossing in January. It was not without drama though-----even though it was a six month old ship (Empress of Britain---later the Carnivale) it lost all power in the Irish Sea and we had to be rescued and towed into Liverpool.

So now, many years later I will be embarking on a late August crossing from Europe to New York City. Been there, done that---bring it on---I can take it. :D----or better yet, the ship can take it.

What a delightful story,really enjoyed it.

But Sapper I don't think you shoud be taunting Poseidon and Neptune from the look of this photo , those boys play rough:D:D

What a delightful story,really enjoyed it.

But Sapper I don't think you shoud be taunting Poseidon and Neptune from the look of this photo , those boys play rough:D:D

Maybe they don't read Cruise Critic. One can only hope.;)

Hi Cristiano

I know the weather in Sydney is crazy at the moment. My husband is suffering from SAD due to the constant rain and cooler weather. When he retired here from the States he expected summer to be warm and not so rainy.

I thought maybe I'd be the only Aussie onboard the Prinsendam on the Fort Lauderdale sector.

I am lookiing forward to the trip now after reading so many positive reviews of the Prinsendam. Did you do the ship excursions mainly? I'm a bit reluctant to go on private tours in case they don't make it back in time due to traffic.

Also if you stopped in Athens did the shup dock near enough to the train station to walk or was it necessary to get a taxi to the station? I've been reading how the taxi drivers cheat you - although I guess that's nothing new from my many experiences years ago in Athens.

Hi Cruiseinvetter

I joined Cruise Critics this Jan. My husband and I are on the Prinsendam 30th April 36 nights cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Is that the one you are on? We signed up for the meet and greet the frist sailing day May 1st. I signed up on the Roll Call section - Prinsendam. There are about 28 signed up so far.

We have booked a lot of ship excursions on HAL's website. We were worried about joining private tours and missing the boat. A lot of ports we plan to walk around.

Hi Sydneyite,

we did only 1 ship organized tour on our 12 day BS cruise all the other ports we did ourselves mostly hired local taxi / cars or walked.

We find this more suited to our style of travel and with due respect the amount of people on a coach can mean delays although can also be a good way to meet people from the boat that you would not normally get to meet.

We also find the tours offered to be expensive for what they provide.

BIG plus is that if you go with the organized ship tours the boat WILL not leave without you!!!

At the port of Piraeus where the ship docks it is some distance to the railway station so it would be advisable to get a taxi.....not sure what the cost would be...the traffic there is a nightmare so it may take some time even with the taxi.

If you look at web site below you will see a roundabout and a blue cruise liner -- 1st place cursor on the red ballon then follow the road named Parodos Miaouli around until you reach a roundabout - anticlockwise -- this is where the Prinsendam was docked on our cruise.

As you can see it is quite a walk.

The "red balloon" indicates where the station is at Piraeus.

Hope that helps.

It is still raining and I am building a new house !!!!:mad:

cheers,

Cristiano.

http://www.greece-athens.com/metro/map/

Hi Sydneyite,

we did only 1 ship organized tour on our 12 day BS cruise all the other ports we did ourselves mostly hired local taxi / cars or walked.

We find this more suited to our style of travel and with due respect the amount of people on a coach can mean delays although can also be a good way to meet people from the boat that you would not normally get to meet.

We also find the tours offered to be expensive for what they provide.

BIG plus is that if you go with the organized ship tours the boat WILL not leave without you!!!

At the port of Piraeus where the ship docks it is some distance to the railway station so it would be advisable to get a taxi.....not sure what the cost would be...the traffic there is a nightmare so it may take some time even with the taxi.

If you look at web site below you will see a roundabout and a blue cruise liner -- 1st place cursor on the red ballon then follow the road named Parodos Miaouli around until you reach a roundabout - anticlockwise -- this is where the Prinsendam was docked on our cruise.

As you can see it is quite a walk.

The "red balloon" indicates where the station is at Piraeus.

Hope that helps.

It is still raining and I am building a new house !!!!:mad:

cheers,

Cristiano.

http://www.greece-athens.com/metro/map/

Hi Cristiano

Thanks for the information.

We booked quite a few ship excursions after researching the ports. We have about 23 stops and we're doing our own thing at about 9 stops. Some are expensive but easier than working out our own.

We actually booked our cruise for $6500 U.S. each originally but were able to get the lower price before payment which was $3650 U.S. each for an outside D cabin for the 36 days (a real bargain) so we figured that the saving paid for all the excursions, plus drinks, plus tips and our own tours in the port. I did see a few people organising private tours e.g. a 9 hour tour in Naples but since the boat is only in port for 10 hours and the tour goes to Amalfi I'd be worried about the traffic getting back.

We'll probably get a taxi to the station. I used to go to Greece a lot but it's been a while since I've been there.

It sure is raining although it let up enough to be able to go for an afternoon walk. They say it's supposed to clear up Wed or Thursday - I guess you'll be having an enforced break from building till then.

Marguerite (Sydneyite)

I did see a few people organising private tours e.g. a 9 hour tour in Naples but since the boat is only in port for 10 hours and the tour goes to Amalfi I'd be worried about the traffic getting back.
That's one port that if you're doing the Amalfi coast, you should be concerned about. Several years ago, my sister was on an all-day ship's tour that included the Amalfi coast and there was such traffic that the bus averaged about 2 mi/hour for several hours -- no one was going anywhere and there are no short-cuts. They were tied up for hours and wound up getting back to the ship almost two hours late.

Archived