Question-For cruises ending in Vancouver

mjbelen

We are sailing on the Coral Princess on a southbound cruise in July. I have checked with the airlines, and the best (and looks like only) flight to get me back home to south Florida takes off at 11:35 am.

Will I have enough time to get from the ship, through customs in time to make this plane? If not, we have to incur the cost of an extra night hotel and rental car. I love Vancouver and would love to visit again, but my pocket book is telling me to come back home as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

What day of the week? We did express disembark on a busy day and barely,... and I mean barely.. made a 12:10 flight.. the airport was an absolute zoo.... and the lines horrendous... Not trying to discourage you but if it's a day when lots of ships are in or a weekday with a.m. traffic you have to allow for that..We've disembarked in Vancouver 3 times and with new security measures would not have made that time of flight either of the two we have done it.

It depends on your flight and airline but if you can do the Express baggage handling (US Direct) then you should be able to make your flight. We had a later flight but made it to the airport in plenty of time for the 11:35 flight. If you use the baggage service and ship's transfer then you avoid the long lines at the airport. It costs extra but it is well worth it to avoid the hassle.

That being said, Vancouver is a wonderful place to visit so you might enjoy spending some time there after the cruise. We spent 2 days precruise there and had a great time. We didn't rent a car and did just fine.

When I first starting reading this thread I thought everyone would say do not take the 11:35 flight. Then I realized that you would get this advice on the Alaska board.

Just realize if you do not use the options that have been mentioned here that you have customs, immigrations and airport security and a approximate 30 minute ride to the airport. Also be sure to look into options if the flight is missed.

I realize that from your thread that you only have one option for the day for a flight to get home. Just be prepared.:)

Beware that you can not use the express baggage program for any flight leaving before noon.

I didn't realize that, since our flight was at 12:30. I think that I would be a little uncomfortable trying to make a flight as early at 11:30. I would probably wait until the next day to try to fly out.

Archived