Gus--book ahead or once you arrive?

boilermaker330

I am wondering if it would be better to book the Go with Gus Humanitarian tour in advance or just do it once we arrive in port? I have read that sometimes the prices are cheaper if you wait until you arrive. True? I also read on one post that Gus had two groups on one Humanitarian tour and if you happened to end up in the one led by his employee (rather than Gus himself), the experience was not that great. Does anyone have any insight?

Wow, that is interesting information, as I was just getting ready to send my 50% deposit in tomorrow. I would think the tour is very popular, and don't feel like jostling with others in line once I get there. But, this is good information, any other suggestions?

I just sent off my deposit for the Humanitarian tour today. Gus emailed me a detailed itinerary tour & the price was $79...and in brackets it said "new price". I personally think it is worth booking ahead if you really want to go on this tour. This is a poor country & $79 does not seem like an outrageous price for this kind of tour. We have paid much more for some really lousy excursions in the past! I am certainly looking forward to this one!

I just sent off my deposit for the Humanitarian tour today. Gus emailed me a detailed itinerary tour & the price was $79...and in brackets it said "new price".

Does Gus give a refund if the ship doesn't make it to port or if the weather's too bad to go on the excursion? That's one reason I hesitate to pre-book; if something comes up & we don't get there I'm afraid of a potential hassle in getting my deposit back.

We did the humanitarian tour in January '09. At that time, you could not pay the deposit online but had to mail it in, and then they would mail some tickets or something back. We were kind of close on time so we did not pre-register. We all paid the same price. It seems like a lot of money for a family of 5, but I would do it again. It was by far my favorite excursion over snorkeling and cave-tubing.

Watch out. My father-in-law was pick-pocketed there. Someone grabbed his wallet right out of his front pocket. (He wasn't with Gus)

After hearing about that, we bought a couple of those little pouches that hang on a lanyard around your neck. Under your shirt if you like.

Going with Gus helped us experience the real Guatemala. We stopped at someone's house who made homemade tortillas, explored a cave, visited hot springs, of course the school was the highlight, we also shopped, & he fed us a meal at his hotel.

Have Fun!

I am just of the Spirit and went on a wonderful trip with Gus. He does an excellent job.

I too was going to book ahead, but time constraints prevented that.

We booked at the port and the price was $59.

He prefers cash, but one lady ahead of me did pay with VISA You pay at Gus' hotel, after the tour is nearly over, not at the port

Just off the Spirit as well. dutrie, glad your tour worked out nicely, here is what happened to us.

We didn’t book ahead but rather just shopped the tours on the pier. We found one we liked with another company, up to Livingston and then on to the falls, for $40 each. As we were walking through the building to get the rest of our group we encountered a woman with “Go with Gus”. After chatting with her for a few minutes she offered us the same tour for $25 each. :) Of course we accepted her offer, after all, we had read all about “Go with Gus” on this board. She put a sticker on each of our shirts (once you have a tour sticker all the others stop trying to sell you a tour, much better) and led us to a waiting area while she rounded up more people for the tour. After about 30 minutes it was time to go so she began writing up the invoice, you pay at Gus’ hotel in Livingston, and said $55 each. :eek: When we told her what she had quoted us (same woman) she simply said “I can’t do it for that”. Our whole group was present when she quoted us the first price but she refused to budge. I have no problem paying, I just don’t like trickery. :mad: So we had waited for “Go with Gus” long enough to miss the first tour and we certainly wouldn’t take the “Go with Gus” tour now, so we took another tour to a beach with a bar/restaurant, had a great time and met some new friends. :)

I guess what I am suggesting is “get it in writing” and then don’t be surprised when the deal changes.

By the way, Guatemala is beautiful.

Just off the Spirit as well. dutrie, glad your tour worked out nicely, here is what happened to us.

We didn’t book ahead but rather just shopped the tours on the pier. We found one we liked with another company, up to Livingston and then on to the falls, for $40 each. As we were walking through the building to get the rest of our group we encountered a woman with “Go with Gus”. After chatting with her for a few minutes she offered us the same tour for $25 each. :) Of course we accepted her offer, after all, we had read all about “Go with Gus” on this board. She put a sticker on each of our shirts (once you have a tour sticker all the others stop trying to sell you a tour, much better) and led us to a waiting area while she rounded up more people for the tour. After about 30 minutes it was time to go so she began writing up the invoice, you pay at Gus’ hotel in Livingston, and said $55 each. :eek: When we told her what she had quoted us (same woman) she simply said “I can’t do it for that”. Our whole group was present when she quoted us the first price but she refused to budge. I have no problem paying, I just don’t like trickery. :mad: So we had waited for “Go with Gus” long enough to miss the first tour and we certainly wouldn’t take the “Go with Gus” tour now, so we took another tour to a beach with a bar/restaurant, had a great time and met some new friends. :)

I guess what I am suggesting is “get it in writing” and then don’t be surprised when the deal changes.

By the way, Guatemala is beautiful.

Wow. I appreciate the advice. Sorry that happened to you.

I am just of the Spirit and went on a wonderful trip with Gus. He does an excellent job.

I too was going to book ahead, but time constraints prevented that.

We booked at the port and the price was $59.

He prefers cash, but one lady ahead of me did pay with VISA You pay at Gus' hotel, after the tour is nearly over, not at the port

Thanks - I'll factor that into my "cash" allowence.

We paid $85 to Gus for the all day trip. This was the best excursion I've ever been on in 9 cruises. We were gone the entire day and had a lunch at his hotel that was fit for a king.

If people have walked up and paid less for the trip from me so be it. I thought the tour was worth every penny.

I can't believe all the stomach churning angst by some people on whether or not to book this trip.

It's not picking out a college,or purchasing a home or a car. It's a day excursion that's actually a Humanitarian tour.

If you book at the port with Go with Gus, what time do you need to be there in order to get on his tour? I also wonder if this tour is suitable to take 2 year old on?

We docked at 8 AM and were off of the ship at 8:30. I think the tour left at 9:30

David

We just returned yesterday from the NCL Spirit. Our tour left about 9:30. Gus himself was not our tour guide. He was on another boat. But that was o.k. He waited at each stop for our boat so he could lecture to everyone together. We had 3 boats all together. My youngest was 9 years old. I'm not sure it would be good for a 2 year old. There were no toddlers on our tour.

There really isn't much at the port other than shopping which is fun too. However, tours are so cheap here and the country is very interesting. It is easy to book a tour at port with several different companies. Just be sure when you book that your actual guide speaks English. Also, just last week we did the Go with Gus Humanitarian tour and it was one of the best tours I have ever taken. We easily booked with GUS right at the port and paid a much lower price than if we had booked online. Also, try to get in Gus's boat (it is the bigger one), he is very interesting and a great guide!

We just returned yesterday from the NCL Spirit. Our tour left about 9:30. Gus himself was not our tour guide. He was on another boat. But that was o.k. He waited at each stop for our boat so he could lecture to everyone together. We had 3 boats all together. My youngest was 9 years old. I'm not sure it would be good for a 2 year old. There were no toddlers on our tour.

How did your son like this tour? I am debating on taking my two kids (8 & 10) on this tour?

Archived