Bermuda and Scooters

CruisnGram

.....thinking the ferry might be a faster option to get to the other end...

I've looked at various ferry schedules that I could find. It is about a 40-45 minute ferry ride from the Dockyards to St George's.

SBtS

I agree.

Many areas have just one main road. If there's a traffic tieup, you're stuck, because there aren't any alternate routes.

Most of the people who post a negative response do not drive a bike to begin with. Seeing that you have experience, the only real hazard to contend with is driving on the left side which can be overcome very quickly when you don't have to concentrate on how to drive the bike. No one can tell you what your capabilities are, only you know that but if you want an enjoyable experience without having to resort to tours, taxi's & buses rent a bike.

Most of the people who post a negative response do not drive a bike to begin with. Seeing that you have experience, the only real hazard to contend with is driving on the left side which can be overcome very quickly when you don't have to concentrate on how to drive the bike. No one can tell you what your capabilities are, only you know that but if you want an enjoyable experience without having to resort to tours, taxi's & buses rent a bike.

There are other hazards to contend with....narrow roads with no shoulders, round-abouts that can be confusing to navigate if you don't know who has the right of way, residents who know their way getting impatient with those who don't ........just sayin'.;)

I went to Bermuda in Sept 02 and rented a scooter for 3 days. I was 17 at the time and had experience with bikes before. I had absolutely no problems carting my mom around or just cruising around myself. The roads were narrow but i never had any problems keeping up with traffic or the locals. The scooter i rented went about 80km per hour, which i easily maxed out by the airport. Other passengers on my ship had bad luck with them which i think was due to inexperience. Its great coming and going as you please and i think its faster then the bus and more fun than the ferry.

Thanks everyone for the great input. We've discussed it and have decided to go ahead and rent. We do have a couple people in our group who are not experienced riders and we've told them we do not recommend they rent their own scooter, but to ride with one of us. We understand the general risk involved of riding, but don't want anyone hurt due to inexperience.

Does anyone know where we can pick up road maps of Bermuda? We will most likely want to ride from end to end to enjoy the scenery. But, having never been there, we have no clue where we are going.

Thanks

CG

Does anyone know where we can pick up road maps of Bermuda? We will most likely want to ride from end to end to enjoy the scenery. But, having never been there, we have no clue where we are going.

Thanks

CG

You can pick up what's called the "Bermuda Handy Refernce Map" at any visitor center. Folded up it is about 3x5 and opened up about 11x20. It shows all the main roads, Bermuda does not have many, as well as blow ups of Hamilton, St. George, Dockyard. There's also a legend that has points of interest, beaches, forts, etc. One thing I've seemed to notice from reading the paper, and I could be wrong, but Middle Road seems to be the worst for accidents but you can get anywhere you want to go by avoiding it.

People have asked about getting them pre-cruise but they don't seem to be available or downloadable online and it would be nice to "study" one ahead. I seem to pick one up eveytime.;) I've only been ableto scan portions of one.:(

scan0003-1.jpg

Edited by iheartbda-

We've discussed it and have decided to go ahead and rent.

Please come back and let us know what your experience was like. My husband and I have a Bermuda cruise booked in September. I would love to rent a scooter to get around, but am hesitate when I read some of the postings. My hushand and I have over 10,000 miles accumulated on a Harley in the past 3 years. Many of them in the twisty turny roads of West Virginia. So we are not in experienced riders.

Have a great time!!!!

I would avoid the crowds at the ferry and just drive your scooter to the other part of the island. It's less than 7 miles from end to end and it's an absolutely gorgeous drive!:D

Do you know how long it takes to drive from kings warf to hamilton on the scooter

Do you know how long it takes to drive from kings warf to hamilton on the scooter

Hmmmmm.....I'm trying to remember.....I think it was maybe 10-15 minutes from the beach where I left Lisa to Kings Wharf. And I think it took us about 10 minutes to get to that beach from the ship in St George's. So maybe 20-25 minutes? Of course, I was driving like a speed demon! (so maybe you should add another few minutes!) :eek:

I am getting my scooter at 9am and driving from the dockyard to tabacco bay and back again. will i be able to have enough time to get back for 4pm

yes as long as you don't hit anything. Its about 20 miles each way. So at the speed limit it should take just under a hour.

IMO Horseshoe is a nicer beach....

IMO Horseshoe is a nicer beach....

IMO as well.:)

I wouldn't pass up the South Shore beaches to go the whole way to Tobacco Bay unless I was going there to snorkel. Plus those beaches, Horseshoe included, are close to King's Wharf.

Please come back and let us know what your experience was like. My husband and I have a Bermuda cruise booked in September. I would love to rent a scooter to get around, but am hesitate when I read some of the postings. My hushand and I have over 10,000 miles accumulated on a Harley in the past 3 years. Many of them in the twisty turny roads of West Virginia. So we are not in experienced riders.

Have a great time!!!!

I believe you guys would be fine on scooters. A few years ago, my family and I went to Bermuda and rented scooters. My parents were on a double, and my sister and I each had one. We were 18 and 21 at the time. We own our own scooters and my dad has been riding a Harley for 30+ years, so we knew what we were doing. Getting used to driving on the left was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The speed limit is very slow, (35 kph if I remember correctly), and people for the most part seem to follow it. I did see a couple of tourists get hung up in the roundabouts. If you're not experienced with them, please learn the basics before you go.

And as far as beaches go, if you're looking to snorkel, Tobacco Bay is the best I've ever done.

First off--if you've had experience riding and follow the rules of the road, I think you should be just fine. The scooters are a pleasant alternative to the mopeds, which often crapped out on a hill. Most folks rent scooters these days and they comfortably hold a rider and passenger.

I think your idea of your inexperienced riders being passengers is the best course. The rules for the roundabout are the same as anywhere else, the vehicles in the roundabout have the right of way, to enter you must yield to those already there. I have never found it confusing, but can see how you could if not used to it. Just look to your right before you enter.

My recommendation would be to stick to the South Shore Rd--it is a bit longer from St. George's to the South Shore, but if you are the least bit hesitant on the bikes, much easier. It is winding, but most roads in Bermuda are. If you feel someone is driving close up behind you, most bus stops are cutaways from the road and you can pull over to let people pass.

Do not worry about getting lost in Bermuda, there are three main roads-North Shore, South Shore and Middle Road. You can also get copies of the map where you rent the scooter.

From Dockyard to Hamilton is at least 30 minutes on the scooter, from Dockyard to St. George's an hour or more. (South Shore that is).

You can take the Ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton or St. George's, and you are able to take the scooter's on the Ferry--for sure to/from Dockyard-Hamilton. Maybe not on every route. Dockyard to Hamilton by Ferry about 20 minutes as I recall, closer to an hour to/from St. George's. Just check the schedule. While it is fun to ride the scooters, using the Ferry in conjunction with the scooters helps on the days a lot of riding is involved-you can get a bit saddle sore!

be careful and have fun!!

• 1 month later...

I almost witnessed a scooter accident in Bermuda as this couple turned out from a corner and into our oncoming bus! Then she panicked and almost lost balance as she swerved back into her lane. It was a scary sight.

Here's a short video of the bus we were in. See for the first 2 seconds how cars were passing our bus while the oncoming traffic in the other lane was awfully close!

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3080716510061316608EFaWvq

I almost witnessed a scooter accident in Bermuda as this couple turned out from a corner and into our oncoming bus! Then she panicked and almost lost balance as she swerved back into her lane. It was a scary sight.

Here's a short video of the bus we were in. See for the first 2 seconds how cars were passing our bus while the oncoming traffic in the other lane was awfully close!

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3080716510061316608EFaWvq

Even though I ride a motorcycle I would never get on a scooter in Bermuda. It makes NYC look like a Sunday school picnic PS Great video they should make everyone going to Bermuda watch it on the sea day heading over

Edited by scchasgal

Just an update for all of you that have provided such great information on this topic.

We have 4 people in our group who have never even sat on a scooter. 2 of them said no way they were renting one in Bermuda and would ride wiht one of us. The other 2 (both women) were determined to rent with us when we went to Bermuda. I tried to discourage them but they are adults, and there was only so much I could do/say...and they were insistant that they'd be just fine.

I was really, really worried, so I came up with an idea. I told them they should come over to my house and ride one of ours to get the "feel" of scooters before they rented one. Well, they came over yesterday and it didn't go well.

One was so wobbly I thought that she was going to tip over. She immediately got off and said "no way I'm riding one of these things". The other person took her turn and rode just fine, but when she came to a stop, she couldn't hold the bike up. She's a tiny little thing with zero strength in her arms and her and the bike toppled over when she stopped.

Needless to say, both have now decided that they aren't renting scooters and in fact, they don't even want to ride with anyone else. They said that the bus and ferry will be just fine for them thank you very much.

Not making light of their situation, but I have to say, I'm a happy woman! :) I love them dearly but they don't belong on a scooter in Bermuda...at least until they get more experience, and I'm really relieved that they aren't going to ride.

CG

Edited by CruisnGram

Just an update for all of you that have provided such great information on this topic.

We have 4 people in our group who have never even sat on a scooter. 2 of them said no way they were renting one in Bermuda and would ride wiht one of us. The other 2 (both women) were determined to rent with us when we went to Bermuda. I tried to discourage them but they are adults, and there was only so much I could do/say...and they were insistant that they'd be just fine.

I was really, really worried, so I came up with an idea. I told them they should come over to my house and ride one of ours to get the "feel" of scooters before they rented one. Well, they came over yesterday and it didn't go well.

One was so wobbly I thought that she was going to tip over. She immediately got off and said "no way I'm riding one of these things". The other person took her turn and rode just fine, but when she came to a stop, she couldn't hold the bike up. She's a tiny little thing with zero strength in her arms and her and the bike toppled over when she stopped.

Needless to say, both have now decided that they aren't renting scooters and in fact, they don't even want to ride with anyone else. They said that the bus and ferry will be just fine for them thank you very much.

Not making light of their situation, but I have to say, I'm a happy woman! :) I love them dearly but they don't belong on a scooter in Bermuda...at least until they get more experience, and I'm really relieved that they aren't going to ride.

CG

Hey CG!:)

As usual you're giving good advise!;):D I didn't realize you were going two weeks after us and I'm sure you're getting anxious to go just like us!:eek: I've already started up my next group for 2010 and we're expecting pricing this week!:cool: Enjoy the rest of your weekend and speak with ya soon! Barry

Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

I was really, really worried, so I came up with an idea. I told them they should come over to my house and ride one of ours to get the "feel" of scooters before they rented one. CG

That was a great idea! I'm so glad you did that & it worked out for the best.

Enjoy your cruise!

....... The other 2 (both women) were determined to rent with us when we went to Bermuda. I tried to discourage them but they are adults, and there was only so much I could do/say...and they were insistant that they'd be just fine.......

CG

This is probably why many people get "in trouble"..... never having ridden. Also, perception....the term scooter makes some people think they are just a fun little toy.

BTW, I DID ride, but that was before roads were not as congested, people were more courteous on the roads, there were not hot shots flying around on much more powerful bikes and the scooters that were available were peddle starts.;)

:D:D:D:D

bc956dc4.jpg

Hey CG!:)

As usual you're giving good advise!;):D I didn't realize you were going two weeks after us and I'm sure you're getting anxious to go just like us!:eek: I've already started up my next group for 2010 and we're expecting pricing this week!:cool: Enjoy the rest of your weekend and speak with ya soon! Barry

Hey Barry,

Yep, we're getting very excited! I know we're only 2 weeks after you. I wanted to go with you guys but due to our business(we own school buses) we couldn't leave until we were sure school was out. It ended up a smart thing because due to bad weather this winter, we don't get out till June 12th.

Hope you guys have a wonderful time!

Joyce

BTW, I DID ride, but that was before roads were not as congested, people were more courteous on the roads, there were not hot shots flying around on much more powerful bikes and the scooters that were available were peddle starts.;)

:D:D:D:D

bc956dc4.jpg

Aw, what a cute picture! That's a moped isn't it? I know they used to be very popular in Bermuda. Some places still rent them.

Believe me, even those can mess you up. My mom rented one many years ago at a local resort and crashed into a curb. I never seen anyone so black and blue in all my life. It's a good think she was on a moped and not a scooter as she'd probably have been a statistic.

CG

Aw, what a cute picture! That's a moped isn't it? I know they used to be very popular in Bermuda. Some places still rent them.

CG

I don't know, all I know is those were what eveyone rode back in the dark ages.:D Picture was taken when I was in college and on a trip with my dear mother who is no longer with us.

Can't wait to hear what you think of Bermuda and the Majesty when you get back. I hope you're not disappointed as some of us Bermudaholics can get carried away with our enthusiasm.;) I have run into a couple of people who weren't impressed and saw no reason to go back. Either you "get" Bermuda or you don't.....most do.:)