Liberty of the Seas 1/31 to 2/7/09 Review with pics

TFlo

Thank you for the wonderful review. Your pictures are beautiful! We are going on the Liberty in 5 weeks, western route. Thanks for taking the time with all your posts, they have been really enjoyable!

Glad you're liking it. I would love to do the Western itinerary next time.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure!

Tim

Okay. One of the common things I heard about Labadee was that the Haitian flea market was horrible, that they really bug you and try to pull you in and sell you stuff. Well, that is so not me. I don't do that bartering stuff at all, but I have to tell you, I really enjoyed going to the market. It was very aggressive, but they were also very polite! I was so surprised.

You'd be walking through and, if you made eye contact, they would say, "Sir, sir, please let me show you something. Please sir, please." Or they'd say "Madame, Madame, please look at this."

We got some things, hats, t-shirts, even got some walking sticks for my father-in-law.

Here's some photos of the outdoor portion of the market:

2199434230044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2939756810044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2801252930044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

This is a picture of the zipline in the background. You can see the tower up high. I didn't get any good pictures because it started raining and was really blowing at me and soaking my camera.

2956746170044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

This is the other way down the beach. Notice the sky in this one.

2970749880044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

A couple more shots from Labadee:

2939950340044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2744632370044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2295297130044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2245805860044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Now, I've heard that the BBQ that's on the island was bad or out of food or cold or various other things. I don't know anything firsthand because we didn't go to it. We decided instead to just go back to the ship and have something there.

Well, we weren't the only ones with that idea. The line to go back was just terrible and it took us almost an hour to get off the island. But to be honest, we met a couple in line from Canada and we talked the whole time we were in line so the time actually went by quite quick.

All in all, though I was disappointed with the weather, I didn't think Labadee was a total washout. I actually enjoyed some of it. I believe that if the weather was good, I would have loved Labadee.

Thank you so much for the review and the beautiful pictures...I did this same itinerary a few years back, and your photos and stories are bringing it all back for me! It's like I'm there...!

Also - snaps to you for seeing the glass "half full" rather than empty. Even with "the perfect storm" (that cracked me up) on Labadee - you still had an upbeat attitude. That is so wonderful to see out here on the boards. Your review is thorough and well-written - and I've laughed out loud in several places.

Also - I had to laugh about you feeling guilty about leaving your kids behind. I have a 19-year old son and a 15-year old son, as well - and we don't take them cruising with us. We take them on other vacations - but cruising is something special for DH and me. But - I feel secretly guilty, too! ;)

Can't wait to read more of your honest & hysterical review - love the photos.

Kudos,

Sherri

Thank you so much for the review and the beautiful pictures...I did this same itinerary a few years back, and your photos and stories are bringing it all back for me! It's like I'm there...!

Also - snaps to you for seeing the glass "half full" rather than empty. Even with "the perfect storm" (that cracked me up) on Labadee - you still had an upbeat attitude. That is so wonderful to see out here on the boards. Your review is thorough and well-written - and I've laughed out loud in several places.

Also - I had to laugh about you feeling guilty about leaving your kids behind. I have a 19-year old son and a 15-year old son, as well - and we don't take them cruising with us. We take them on other vacations - but cruising is something special for DH and me. But - I feel secretly guilty, too! ;)

Can't wait to read more of your honest & hysterical review - love the photos.

Kudos,

Sherri

Sherri, thank you for the nice comments. It's been fun to write. You know, when I was researching everything about our cruise, what other folks said really meant a lot to me so I wanted to make sure I gave back to the community. That's what it's all about.

Thanks again,

Tim

Hi Tim and Sally!!!!!! It is shanna from Michigan and we are planning our March 28, 2010 cruise on Liberty! I was so excited to see your posts, I was just yelling at DH, GET IN HERE YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!

How wonderful to finally get a "real life" opinion on your cruise. From someone we don't really know, but, know of from our Michiganders thread!

I must agree with a previous post from one who will be sailing in December--------------your information and photos will help us get to 2010!!!!! I was thrilled when we booked last month, but, nothing has got my heart racing like reading your "cruise Report!!!"

Thank you so much for all of your descriptions and photos!!!! I think those of us from Michigan must appreciate the warm Caribbean sun and RCCI, as posts from Michigan Cruisers are so VIVID.....; Maybe we all could get a $ for our cruise reviews for the RCCI site!!!!! LOL

WONDERFUL JOB! Again you have me more excited than when we booked last month! We are taking our then to be 9 year old son and his cousin (13 then) and we are not telling them until Christmas 2009!!!! It is so hard for me to keep this secret! But, it will be so worth it.

Our March 28, 2010 cruise is sailing to different ports of call----Ochos Rios, Jamica, Labadee, Hati, Cozumel, Mexico and George Town, Grand Caymen. We will not be getting off the ship in Labadee, but, we are going to attempt deep sea fishing in Jamica!!!! My DH is an avid Bass fisherperson here in Little o'l Michigan, and well I guess that is our past time in the summer -- along with camping! The only problem I have after returning home from, a cruise, is when i raise my hand for a drink, i wait, wait, wait, then realize, NOPE YOUR NOT BEING SPOILED ANYMORE!!!

Thank you again for such a wonderful post! Talk to you in MICHIGANDERS BOARD!!!!

I have to chime in here.... not sure of the reason for" not getting off the ship" but it is a private island place and the crew will put on a really grreat cookout free lunch for you and the loungers are free and the waters edge for the kids are fantastic. Walk around and it gives the kids something else to do and see and it is free. You can sit and watch the zipline people comming in if nothing else. The Labadoozie's are great your choice of alcohol or not in them.

Hi Tim,

I want to thank you very much for your great review. The pictures and your nice review reminds us of our western Tour on the Liberty last year. But the best for us is that you report about the Eastern, because we will be there on the LOS in April.

And Tim we are from Cologne, will say we always see the glass "half full"!!!!

I have to say pauline664 is going right with the lunch at Labadee. We were really surprised and will again enjoy the BBQ on our trip.

Once again thanks!!

Achim

I'm also on the Michigan thread with Tim.

What a great review & pictures! We did the same cruise 2 times so really enjoyed reading what you had to say about the cruise.

We love Labadee. The vendors are aggressive, but we just say no & move on. Did you go through the 2nd building? If you don't like the pesky vendors, be sure to go into the 2nd building. No one bothers you in there. One time we had to wake the guy up so we could pay for our purchases.

Texas Teen - Saw you on the inletcam.com. Nice to find you on C.C. which was in your name on there.

Gail

<<Sally was talking to a friend of her's back home who was complaining that she was out brushing the snow off her car while she was talking to my wife, and so I took this picture and sent it to her so she could see we had to clean our car off, too:

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg>

You are so mean!!! ;)

On our first cruise out of JAXport on Carnival's Miracle, I was taking a picture of the ship (after we had checked in and were walking to it) and was yelled at. What's up with that? Everyone takes a picture of the ships when they are at the destination ports.

Thanks.

Honey strung chicken is something that I had heard lots about on the boards here and it is something they only serve on embarkation day, so you have to try it when you first get on board, but it's fried boneless chicken breasts with some kind of breading. My wife didn't like it because the skin was on the chicken and that really turns her off. But if the skin is completely done and not rubbery, I like it, and this was really done right.

Tim

I'm glad you explained about it. I'm with your wife, so I know I won't be trying it.

I don't even eat fried chicked because there is the skin on it.

I have to chime in here.... not sure of the reason for" not getting off the ship" but it is a private island place and the crew will put on a really grreat cookout free lunch for you and the loungers are free and the waters edge for the kids are fantastic. Walk around and it gives the kids something else to do and see and it is free. You can sit and watch the zipline people comming in if nothing else. The Labadoozie's are great your choice of alcohol or not in them.

Yeah, I agree with you Pauline, that unless you've been to Labadee before and didn't enjoy it for whatever reason, then you really should get off the ship and explore. As you said, it's free, and if the weather is good then there's something for everyone: sun, shade, water, shopping, food.

By the way, Labadoozies are great. One of our friends doesn't drink, so I picked one up without the rum. Man, now that I think about it, I should have asked for her rum in mine, too. Darn it!! :mad:

Tim

Hi Tim,

I want to thank you very much for your great review. The pictures and your nice review reminds us of our western Tour on the Liberty last year. But the best for us is that you report about the Eastern, because we will be there on the LOS in April.

And Tim we are from Cologne, will say we always see the glass "half full"!!!!

I have to say pauline664 is going right with the lunch at Labadee. We were really surprised and will again enjoy the BBQ on our trip.

Once again thanks!!

Achim

Achim, thanks for the kind words! I think we sometimes forget that there's a whole huge world out there beyond our own front door, and it's always nice to have friends around the world!

You'll have a great time on your cruise. I think next cruise will be in April 'cause I think the weather in the Caribbean is a little more consistent then.

Hopefully we'll be able to take the Western itinerary soon.

Tim

<<Sally was talking to a friend of her's back home who was complaining that she was out brushing the snow off her car while she was talking to my wife, and so I took this picture and sent it to her so she could see we had to clean our car off, too:

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg>

You are so mean!!! ;)

I know!! :rolleyes::p:D

The Labadoozie is one of our favorites. You can take the plastic glass home with you. We did the last time.

Gail

I know, right? We now have a collection of 4 of the Labadoozie plastic cups and a collection of 10 of the Drink of the Day glasses. We actually carried them back wrapped in dirty clothes in our carry-on.

If anyone's interested in how to make a Labadoozie, here's a previous thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=654826

Tim

Tim,

You have done a wonderful job on your review. It brings back memories of the cruise. When I flew to Orlando after the cruise to meet my son for my Honoree Award we drove to Port Canaveral where the hotel was. We ate dinner at Grills Tiki Bar at the port. Two ships were going out and my son (age 38) was really impressed with the size of the ships. They were Carnival Glory and Disney Magic. I told him that LOS was bigger. Since it was the first time he saw a cruise ship up close, he was really impressed. He would like to take his family on a cruise now. I hope he can find a job (he was laid off early Dec.) so that he can take them. They have two girls, 5 & 7. I told him I wanted to go on a cruise!!! He laughed and said "You JUST got off of one!!!!!". I was ready again!

I liked your two pictures of the ship from Labadee that I am making one of them my wallpaper.

Hopefully spring will soon be here!!!

Elaine

Tim,

You have done a wonderful job on your review. It brings back memories of the cruise. When I flew to Orlando after the cruise to meet my son for my Honoree Award we drove to Port Canaveral where the hotel was. We ate dinner at Grills Tiki Bar at the port. Two ships were going out and my son (age 38) was really impressed with the size of the ships. They were Carnival Glory and Disney Magic. I told him that LOS was bigger. Since it was the first time he saw a cruise ship up close, he was really impressed. He would like to take his family on a cruise now. I hope he can find a job (he was laid off early Dec.) so that he can take them. They have two girls, 5 & 7. I told him I wanted to go on a cruise!!! He laughed and said "You JUST got off of one!!!!!". I was ready again!

I liked your two pictures of the ship from Labadee that I am making one of them my wallpaper.

Hopefully spring will soon be here!!!

Elaine

Hey, Elaine, here's my email address -- tfloury at gmail dot com.

Send me that pic you took of Sally and I and I'll send you the pics of the ship from Labadee in better resolution. I made them quite small to post so they wouldn't be huge, but the ones I have are better for things like wallpapers.

And I'm so sorry to hear that your son was laid off. This economy is just so bad and everybody's getting hit. I hope he finds a job soon.

Tim

Okay. Let's continue with the review!

I think when I left off we were just getting back on the ship from Labadee. Once back on we decided to go get something to eat at Sorrento's to get some pizza since the Windjammer was closed due to the BBQ on Labadee.

We loved Sorrento's! They had really good pizza, always had pepperoni pizza, always had cheese pizza and had a different specialty pizza every day. They also had other foods and desserts that were very good. Never did we encounter a line longer than a couple people. Great place to go early or late.

Now Thursday was the day that we had picked to go to Portofino Italian Restaurant. We had done Chops Grille on the Enchantment and it was just all right.

Portofinos on Liberty was excellent. The service was excellent and the presentation was excellent. The food quality was also excellent and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Here's a picture of the 4 of us at Portofinos and then some of the food and desserts we had:

2097117340044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2344342120044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2850997020044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2539466410044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Again, I thought the food and the sevice at Portofinos was excellent -- however -- we also had excellent service and excellent food in the main dining room. The presentation was definately better at Portofinos.

I know this is probably contrary to many others' opinions, but I don't think we'd eat at the specialty restaurants again unless I didn't like something about my wait staff in the dining room. I can get steaks all the time at home so I'd really rather try other things. One night in the main dining room they had beef tenderloin and it was really good, so I think we're done with the specialty restaurants.

After dinner we sat out on the deck upstairs and we just talked with our friends. We then decided to go and put our bathing suits on and get into the hot tub in the Solarium.

2839426060046097424S500x500Q85.jpg

The hot tub is cantilevered out over the ocean with some really great views during the day. At night you can't see out unless you're at a port.

We did go in this hot tub the first time the night was left San Juan at 10:00 p.m. It was very cool seeing the city lights from the hot tub.

Here another shot:

2778528520046097424S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's that same hot tub from the outside:

2323465780101240655S500x500Q85.jpg

2501848550084606960S500x500Q85.jpg

After the hot tub, off to the cabin for a nightcap on the balcony and then to bed. Tomorrow's our last full day on the ship and we can't believe how fast it's going.

Day 7 - "Is it over already?"

Friday morning was the morning that we had picked for our breakfast in bed from our romance package. We needed to fill out our form stating what we wanted for breakfast and gave it to Rex the night before.

Breakfast arrived right at the time we asked for it and it was lovely.

We ate out on the balcony because the temperature was back to where it should have been the day before, and it looked like it would turn out to be a beautiful day.

After breakfast we met up with our friends and headed up to the Solarium pool. They were going to lay out and get some sun and Sally and I were going to go play bingo again.

This being the last day of the cruise and since nobody won the big jackpot yet, it had to go today at either 11:00 or 4:00. We decided to play the 6 cards per game only this morning to save a little cash and then we'd go back at 4:00 of nobody won.

Well, I have to tell you, Phil's a real nut and really gets the folks going! He always plays his Booty Song before bingo and he really gets into it. You'd have to see it to appreciate it.

2755039660044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2839482710044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Well, unfortunately we didn't win here or at the 4:00 game. The jackpot was, I think, $5,600 and one woman won it by herself. Good for her!

In the Promenade the were having some sort of culinary demonstrations with ice sculptures, carved melons desserts, etc. and I got some pictures:

2048651280044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2883446790044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived