Liberty of the Seas 1/31 to 2/7/09 Review with pics

TFlo

W O W!

Tim,

We have the SAME CABIN you had in just under 4 months!! Since you just got off, you can answer a question I have....

You said the diameter of the balcony "porthole" was about 6 feet. It has a "lip" or edge around the porthole. How wide is this? I looks to be about 3 inches or so, but I'm sure you will have an accurate answer.

ALSO, the railing of the balcony, the short part of the "L" and the longer part in front of you. Can you guestimate how many feet this is??

All this leads to the third question... Is is fairly dark on the balcony at night or are the so many ship lights it lights it up anyway?

I am thinking about buying battery operated twinkle lights to go around the porthole and along the railing. I need the dementions above to figure out how many strings to purchase. (I've found some 10 feet ones at a good price)

I would probably anchor the lights on the railing with zip ties, but do you have any ideas on the porthole? I was thinking about gutter clips or duct or wide clear tape, but I don't want to mess up the paint in any way (or get into trouble for it!) :o

It just seems a nice way to light up the area and make it more special than it already is. We will have our 2 DS's ( 15 & 16) with us but in a seperate inside cabin just down the hall. We usually start our days with breakfast we bring down from the Windjammer and eat on the balcony. We actually have a roll up camp table we bring with us to have enough room to eat on.

Being from Atlanta, we are driving down to Miami to save on airfare. My family will DEFINATELY see your review to get us excited about our trip. We will be on the Western route, but we did San Juan and El Moro on our last cruise.

On the food, we are planning to try the MTD, and do Portifinos one night. I noticed you did this on Thursday. Another poster suggested Tues and Thursday were the 'weak' main dining room nights. Do you agree? I'll check out the Capers you post later!

Again, thanks for awsome, wonderfully informative review!

Jacquelyn :D

Great review! We are getting ready to go on this exact cruise in just 9 days! This is our first ever cruise, and reading this has got us even more excited. I have been reading some other posts on this website, and it is easy to be drawn to the negative reviews. This review definitely gets us in the right mood!

• 2 weeks later...

This was the best review I have ever read

Thank you for the time and effort it took to write.

I will be on the Liberty in May and am looking even more forward to my trip after reading your comments.

My only question has to do with the segway tour and Jose.

How long was the tour you took and do you have Jose's contact information?

Thanks again for your time

Dan

W O W!

Tim,

We have the SAME CABIN you had in just under 4 months!! Since you just got off, you can answer a question I have....

You said the diameter of the balcony "porthole" was about 6 feet. It has a "lip" or edge around the porthole. How wide is this? I looks to be about 3 inches or so, but I'm sure you will have an accurate answer.

ALSO, the railing of the balcony, the short part of the "L" and the longer part in front of you. Can you guestimate how many feet this is??

All this leads to the third question... Is is fairly dark on the balcony at night or are the so many ship lights it lights it up anyway?

I am thinking about buying battery operated twinkle lights to go around the porthole and along the railing. I need the dementions above to figure out how many strings to purchase. (I've found some 10 feet ones at a good price)

I would probably anchor the lights on the railing with zip ties, but do you have any ideas on the porthole? I was thinking about gutter clips or duct or wide clear tape, but I don't want to mess up the paint in any way (or get into trouble for it!) :o

It just seems a nice way to light up the area and make it more special than it already is. We will have our 2 DS's ( 15 & 16) with us but in a seperate inside cabin just down the hall. We usually start our days with breakfast we bring down from the Windjammer and eat on the balcony. We actually have a roll up camp table we bring with us to have enough room to eat on.

Being from Atlanta, we are driving down to Miami to save on airfare. My family will DEFINATELY see your review to get us excited about our trip. We will be on the Western route, but we did San Juan and El Moro on our last cruise.

On the food, we are planning to try the MTD, and do Portifinos one night. I noticed you did this on Thursday. Another poster suggested Tues and Thursday were the 'weak' main dining room nights. Do you agree? I'll check out the Capers you post later!

Again, thanks for awsome, wonderfully informative review!

First off let me apologize for my lack of response to your wonderful post. Ever since I've been back from our cruise, work has been -- shall we say -- hectic!!

Anywho, let my try to answer your questions or give you some guesses or estimates.

First off, you're going to love that cabin! The balcony is worth the wait!

You asked:

I would say you're about right on that estimate of a 3-inch lip.

I'm going to guestimate about 20 feet or so.

Is it fairly dark on the balcony at night or are there so many ship lights it lights it up anyway?

As I recall, if you don't have your "porch" light on, it's pretty dark other than the moon.

I would think that some duct tape would do the trick there.

On the food, we are planning to try the MTD, and do Portifinos one night. I noticed you did this on Thursday. Another poster suggested Tues and Thursday were the 'weak' main dining room nights. Do you agree?

Jacquelyn, maybe I'm not very sophisticated, but I love the main dining room! I can always find something that I like -- and even if I didn't, I'd just go down to Sorrentos. LOL. I guess my point is, I don't know from weak or strong days, and the only reason I picked Thursday was because I didn't want to eat at the specialty restaurants at the beginning of the cruise -- wanted to get to know the dining room staff -- and couldn't do it on Monday, San Juan -- in port from 3:00 to 10:00, and I think when I made the reservation online for Portofinos I only had 2 days to chose from, thus Thursday was the day.

Again, my friends, sorry for the delay in getting back and hope everyone is well.

Talk to you soon,

Tim

This was the best review I have ever read

Thank you for the time and effort it took to write.

I will be on the Liberty in May and am looking even more forward to my trip after reading your comments.

My only question has to do with the segway tour and Jose.

How long was the tour you took and do you have Jose's contact information?

Thanks again for your time

Dan

Dan,

Thank you so much for the nice words about my review. I got to tell you, I'm more than ready to go again. Work's been a bite and weather's really been cold.

To give you a long-overdue answer to your question about Jose and the Segway tour: The tour was a little over 2 hours, as I recall, though they were great and would have gone longer if necessary.

I do have Jose's contact info, but you must do the ship's tour, you can't book it through him any longer since he has a contract with RC. If you would like to contact him by email, his address is: jose@segwaytoursandmediapr.com and to check out Jose and his company on the web, here's the link: http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

We are thinking of going on the Adventure of the Seas or the Serenade of the Seas next winter out of San Juan and if we do, I will certainly take a longer tour with Jose.

Let me know how it goes,

Tim

• 1 month later...

I just found this today and we are leaving on LOS Saturday (4/18/09) We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and our first cruise. Thank you so much for your review. Although some of our ports of call are different, it was enjoyable to read and see pictures of your trip.

You have convienced me to register for the M&M just to meet others whle we sail. Since we are new to cruising we are trying to get all the information we can be make it a memorable trip. Wish I had found this website earlier but your review is the best thing about it.

Thanks again.

I just found this today and we are leaving on LOS Saturday (4/18/09) We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and our first cruise. Thank you so much for your review. Although some of our ports of call are different, it was enjoyable to read and see pictures of your trip.

You have convienced me to register for the M&M just to meet others whle we sail. Since we are new to cruising we are trying to get all the information we can be make it a memorable trip. Wish I had found this website earlier but your review is the best thing about it.

Thanks again.

Musicman, first off, congratulations on 40 years!! What an accomplishment! Second, congratulations on picking the finest ship in the world. You're going to love it and have a wonderful time on her. Third, congratulations on finding CruiseCritic. I wish I had found it before my first cruise. It would have been nice to find all this information in one place.

Finally, thanks for the kind words about the review and when you get back, let us all know how your cruise was.

Tim

So glad someone found this and pulled it back up into rotation. What a wonderful review and the photos made it just awesome! Getting excited for our trip and this just added to that excitement! :D

So glad someone found this and pulled it back up into rotation. What a wonderful review and the photos made it just awesome! Getting excited for our trip and this just added to that excitement! :D

Perki,

Hope you have a great time on your cruise! Let us know how it is when you return.

Tim

Very nice pics Tim. . . and a great review. It sounds like you had a GREAT Cruise !

Thanks for sharing your Liberty of the Seas Cruise with us.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very nice pics Tim. . . and a great review. It sounds like you had a GREAT Cruise !

Thanks for sharing your Liberty of the Seas Cruise with us.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey, thanks, Radio. We did have a great time.

And I love following your "Live" reviews! You really put a ton of work and time into them and it's like we're there with you.

I'll definitely be with you on your next live review!

Tim

It answered another question I had... Are the loungers fabric or vinyl slats. Glad to see they are fabric (or solid and not slats).

60 more days and I'm there!

Jacquelyn, I thought about you the other day and wondered if you'd gone on your cruise yet and how the lights turned out on the balcony, but I see you've got a couple more months to go.

Here's a panoramic shot of the balcony of 7708:

2229275910044596040S600x600Q85.jpg

WOW! Great pics and great post. I currently have 1404 on an upcoming Liberty cruise but wonder if this will be better, but...our 16 year old son will be with us. Is there a fold out couch??

Thanks! Mary

Hey, Mary! You would love this cabin. Huge balcony at an E1 price.

About the couch, you know, I just looked at my pictures and it's a love seat size and I have no idea if it pulls out, to tell you the truth. Since we didn't have the kids with us this time, I didn't check.

Hey, I just looked at the deck plans online and it says, "Stateroom has third Pullman bed available." Now that I think about it, the Pullman bed was above the regular bed and I had read about it before. As a matter of fact, if you search CC, I think someone had posted a picture of it down. It could have been on the Freedom or the Independence, since they're sister ships.

Let me know what you find out, and if I find that post, I'll let you know.

Tim

Ugh, I definitely don't want our 16 year old son sleeping above us. What if he poots in his sleep? lmao. Really though, that would be NO privacy at all. Shoot. Thanks for the info, I'll check and see if the loveseat pulls out. But it might not. But from your pics I didn't see a pullman...hmmm.

Ugh, I definitely don't want our 16 year old son sleeping above us. What if he poots in his sleep? lmao. Really though, that would be NO privacy at all. Shoot. Thanks for the info, I'll check and see if the loveseat pulls out. But it might not. But from your pics I didn't see a pullman...hmmm.

That's funny, SC. Boys will be boys. I don't know if I'd want my son up there, either.

You're gonna love it no matter which cabin you're in!!

Talk to you on the Michigan thread.

Tim

Great trip report. Could you tell me about the private tour in St. Thomas? How long was it, did you make stops along the way, did you see everything you wanted? Does she do a standard tour or can you go to places you would like to go to? Thanks.

Great trip report. Could you tell me about the private tour in St. Thomas? How long was it, did you make stops along the way, did you see everything you wanted? Does she do a standard tour or can you go to places you would like to go to? Thanks.

Holly, Joyce Prince was great. She told us what her regular tour included and she would skip things we didn't care about and linger in places we wanted more time at since we did the private tour. Now, as far as how long the tour was, we lost about an hour with her due to a mix up in the island time and ship time. I think her regular tour lasts about 4 hours, and she had someone else lined up at like 2:00 for a tour and so ours was only about 3 hours; however, we all thought that was long enough and just went to the beach afterwards for a little while before heading back to the ship.

Joyce was really great and I would recommend her highly.

Tim

Archived