insurance question about flights

helencw

I booked a cruise for July a few days ago.

I would like to purchase insurance that would include trip cancellation due to the health of a non traveling immediate family member who has pre-existing conditions. I think i have to do this within 14 days of the deposit.

I don't plan on puchasing the air tickets before then, though. Can I be insured for the air costs if I don't specify which airline? Should I estimate the cost of the air tickets? Thanks for you help!

Yes, I've done this several times. Booked my Dec. 2008 cruise in March 2008, but didn't get air until the summer. I needed to book my insurance for pre-existing conditions, so I went to the airline websites and used the current fares. I knew what my travel dates were.

Remember, dates should be door to door to get you home. If you're flying home on one date and land on another, your date of return is the date you land.

We generally buy Travel Guard insurance, and their terms indicate that after the initial purchase to cover the first (presumably cruise) arrangements, you can increase coverage to cover any additional travel amounts ... and to maintain that pre-existing condition waiver, you must do so within 14 days of purchasing each those additional travel arrangements. It may be better to do that, if your insurance permits, because it may be easier to add on and pay additional amounts than to overpay insurance by overestimating air and try to get a refund of overpaid insurance premiums. Insurance may only give you a voucher for future travel rather than refunding actual money.

Archived