Metro Rome?

Depends on how you pack. :D The Metro in Rome is much the same as in any city. I don't recall any specific place to store luggage (although there may be a small area in some cars) so you have to keep it with you, and you may be standing. I actually wouldn't advise parting yourself from your luggage at any rate....too tempting a target.

If you have more than a medium suitcase (24" or so) and a carry-on that you can either strap on top or sling over your shoulder, I think it would be difficult.

The metro tends to get quite crowded, so if you have a manageable amount of luggage (and not so much that you can't keep a hand on all of your valuables), then you could probably manage it. One thing I found though is that the walk in the Termini can be quite long between the train (from/to Civitavecchia) and the metro, even though it's all within one building .... I'm sure it took us 10-15 minutes at a good pace without luggage. The metro in Rome is easy to use, but I've never had anything more than a small backpack with me while using it, however, we did take luggage on a bus to the Termini this past October.

Are you coming from the airport or from Civitavecchia by train ... perhaps the distance between the Leonardo da Vinci train within the Termini and the metro isn't as far.

Can you use the metro with luggage:o Would be so easy to leave train station to apt. Never been so dont know.Thank you for any help:)

If you have never been to Rome before take a taxi..worth the extra money unless you are within walking distance of train station..do not go on metro with luggage.Plain and simple.

Depending on where you apartment is, you may want to see if it is near a train station. There are two types of trains from the airport -Termini. The first, the Leonardo express is direct-I do not think that there are any stops. The second is a local train. It cost about 5E instead of 11 BUT it stops at a number of stations along the way to Rome Termini. We sometimes take this train because on more than one occasion it got us closer to our accomodation that going to Termini did.

If you have never been to Rome before take a taxi..worth the extra money unless you are within walking distance of train station..do not go on metro with luggage.Plain and simple.

Did you mean 'take a taxi from the airport'? One problem I've read about is that taxi drivers just outside the Termini have a reputation for over-charging or doing the 'money-switch' trick. I would suggest to the OP that if they are considering a taxi, to ask the hotel what the charge is for them to arrange for an airport pick up. That way you'll know that the driver is reputable. Or, look at the cost of a shuttle by companies recommended either here or on Tripadvisor.

When we flew into Rome in October, the cost of a van shared by 6 of us (from FCO to Piazza Navona) was less pp than the cost of the Express Train.

The subway in Rome is somewhat limited with only two lines (Paris has 13 Metro lines, plus the RER suburban rail). They tried to build more lines in Rome, but kept running into old "relics" from the historic past. Had to stop those plans to build more underground lines. The cab suggestion can be a good one! The streets in Rome are not laid out in an understandable grid system and can get very confusing. Then there are the hills! Rome is a great city, but confusing, congested and very full of traffic and noise! THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived