OK - So how do you buy rccl stock?

Hflors

Most of the larger banking institutes (Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc.) offer a brokerage account that you can link to your checking/savings account. Depending on your account type, you can get free or reduced rates for trades and investment assistance by phone or email.

If you know nothing about the market, it is best to either go through your bank or set up an account with one of the brokers that others have listed.

Bought my stock a few years ago, I took a pretty good hit on it with this economy but not as bad as some. I did everything on-line thru TDAMERITRADE very easy, set up your account send them a bank check to fund your account and place your order. They offer 30 days of free trading so as I can remember there were no additional broker fees, I get my statements every month so when I need to submit statements for the OBC I do it all on-line.

I use Sharebuilder, you can do direct transfer from an ING acct or express funding from another bank account...there are add'l fees for Express funding (I've done both)...Sharebuilder like other online trading houses allow you to do regular purchases (on a schedule)...

But as someone else mentioned if you're new to investing you may want to talk to someone and have them make the purchase. Most banks have an in house investment service or a relationship with an investment house. I.E. I use citi and they own Smith Barney, though I don't use them...

scottrade.com is the best. you have to have a minimum of $500. I would advise you to reconsider purchasing this stock. What you invest you should be will to live with out it if the investment goes south, which is what royal Caribbean stock has been doing. Be cautious, if you haven't done this before read a book about investing.

It's not as easy as it sounds. We recently bought stock from RCCL...our first stock purchase ever. We contacted a local broker with Ameritrade and they helped us with the purchase.

On the contrary, it's about the easiest thing in the world.

Write a check for, say, $700.

Take it to your local Scottrade office and open an account. They will explain how to buy and sell on the computer.

You need to wait about three days for the funds to clear.

Then a few clicks on the computer and, voila, you are a shareholder (100 shares).

Your entire cost for the process is $7. No big brokerage charge.

Seems to me, however, that if you are not aware of how to buy, you might not be aware of the ups and downs of the stock market. It may be a good time to buy, but then again it might not be. The actual buying of a stock is the easiest part of investing. There's a lot more to it.

Edited by petesweet

Sharebuilder has received good reviews and it's what the RCCL investor site pushes you towards.

I'm a Vanguard fan so I recently bought my shares through them very easily. It was my first time buying stock (as opposed to mutual funds) so I did a lot of reading first just to make sure I understood my options.

It is important that you are prepared to face a loss with this investment. Of course, the whole reason we finally bought now was because with shares trading under $7, we decided we could afford the risk.

scottrade.com is the best. you have to have a minimum of $500. I would advise you to reconsider purchasing this stock. What you invest you should be will to live with out it if the investment goes south, which is what royal Caribbean stock has been doing. Be cautious, if you haven't done this before read a book about investing.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Yes, I like Scottrade but I favor TD Ameritrade.

Scottrade has lower commissions, but they aren't the lowest. Their site has some functionality to do research, but it isn't nearly as extensive as E*Trade to TD Ameritrade. Their r/t trading platform also leaves something to be desired against TD Ameritrade's.

All-in-all, they're a good outfit but I wouldn't say they were the best. This is coming from someone that has active accounts at Scottrade, TD Ameritrade, E*Trade, OptionsXpress and Prudential. ;) The only way to know each system and do a fair comparison is to actually do business with each system.

Edited by BadBoysDriveAudi

Take it to your local Scottrade office and open an account. They will explain how to buy and sell on the computer.

Then a few clicks on the computer and, voila, you are a shareholder (100 shares).

Seems to me, however, that if you are not aware of how to buy, you might not be aware of the ups and downs of the stock market. It may be a good time to buy, but then again it might not be. The actual buying of a stock is the easiest part of investing. There's a lot more to it.

I second everything you just said. The process of buying shares is easy; the process of understanding why and what you're buying isn't necessarily so.

Another strike against Scottrade as being the "best", you have to actually fill out paperwork and mail it in/bring it to an office in order to open a basic cash account. TD Ameritrade allows you to open a cash account and fund it online. And then there's the TD Ameritrade's trade triggers that beat the pants off anything offered at Scottrade or E*Trade. I think it was just in the last 2-3 years that Scottrade finally implemented functionality to let you do a trailing stop loss order.

To be fair though, they have an awesome commission structure for stocks and funds. Unless you want to buy a fund that they don't offer (TD Ameritrade offers thousands more than Scottrade) or get involved in trading options.

I use Sharebuilder, you can do direct transfer from an ING acct or express funding from another bank account...there are add'l fees for Express funding (I've done both)...Sharebuilder like other online trading houses allow you to do regular purchases (on a schedule)...

But as someone else mentioned if you're new to investing you may want to talk to someone and have them make the purchase. Most banks have an in house investment service or a relationship with an investment house. I.E. I use citi and they own Smith Barney, though I don't use them...

I'm not sure why. I'd talk to someone to learn the difference between a market or a limit order, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay the higher commission to have a broker execute my order when I can do it myself. It's not like they're doing anything special that you couldn't do yourself.

I'd advise the OP to do some homework regarding full service and discount brokers and then go to investopedia to do some homework on the basics of stocks.

Then ask yourself why you're interested in buying shares of RCL? Is it merely for the OBC or is it something more?

Well, something screwed up for us and I'm not sure what it was because my husband handled it....but it was a hassle and it didn't seem very easy to me. ;) Ours was probably not a typical experience though and I should have said so.

We did decide in the beginning we could live with the loss if the stock went belly up. We bought at around $6.00 so not much of an investment really. 6 cruises worth of OBC's and it's paid for itself. IF they don't stop this benefit, it will be worth it to us. If they do discontinue it, oh well. <shrug>

Edited by alphakitty

Another strike against Scottrade as being the "best", you have to actually fill out paperwork and mail it in/bring it to an office in order to open a basic cash account. TD Ameritrade allows you to open a cash account and fund it online. And then there's the TD Ameritrade's trade triggers that beat the pants off anything offered at Scottrade or E*Trade. I think it was just in the last 2-3 years that Scottrade finally implemented functionality to let you do a trailing stop loss order.

To be fair though, they have an awesome commission structure for stocks and funds. Unless you want to buy a fund that they don't offer (TD Ameritrade offers thousands more than Scottrade) or get involved in trading options.

I just opened a new Scottrade account, funded it electronically through my checking account, and executed a trade. Total time, less than 5 minutes. No paperwork to mail or drop off at an office.

If you know nothing about buying stock then DON'T just jump in and open an online account and put in an order to buy!!!

Do some research and learn about what investing in the stock market means, and the risks and rewards involved. These days, the risks are far greater than the rewards. When you buy stock in a company there is no guarantee that your stock will have any value next week or 10-years from now. If a company files for Chapter 11 Reorganization you lose your money (and probably shareholder benefits) ... even if the company continues to operate. EDIT to add ... not that I have any thoughts that RCL is in financial difficulty, but these days you just never know what is going to happen to any company.

There is lots of good info on the internet that will help you learn about public companies. RCL's value isn't probably going to change dramatically over the next few days, so take some time to learn a bit more about the process first. (Sorry to sound like a nagging mama, but I used to work in the industry and was always amazed by how many people didn't know what they got themselves into when they bought single stocks.)

Edited by Water•Baby

Well, something screwed up for us and I'm not sure what it was because my husband handled it....but it was a hassle and it didn't seem very easy to me. ;) Ours was probably not a typical experience though and I should have said so.

We did decide in the beginning we could live with the loss if the stock went belly up. We bought at around $6.00 so not much of an investment really. 6 cruises worth of OBC's and it's paid for itself. IF they don't stop this benefit, it will be worth it to us. If they do discontinue it, oh well. <shrug>

Define investment. The classical definition is an expenditure of money or capital with the express purpose of gaining income, increasing capital, or both.

I presume that when you bought your shares, the company was paying a dividend. So you invested $600 with the express purpose of collecting income in the form of regular dividend payments. You also collected income in the form of OBCs. And finally, you had the opportunity to see your capital increase in value. Sounds like an investment to me. ;)

The fact that the shares were at $6 has nothing to do with it not being an investment; it just sounds like you made a prudent move that limited your risk (loss) to a few hundred dollars while having the ability to completely recoup your cash outlay rather quickly (dividend yield + OBC).

I just opened a new Scottrade account, funded it electronically through my checking account, and executed a trade. Total time, less than 5 minutes. No paperwork to mail or drop off at an office.

Sweet! That was one tick that was really holding them back.

I still remember when they had a hack situation and subsequently didn't allow you to ACH funds in or out; you had to either write a check and bring it to the local office or wire in funds (no thank you - I won't pay the $20 wire fee). That was 3 years ago if I recall correctly. It took them a little more than a year to get a new merchant so they could handle ACH funds again. That's when I really started to use my Ameritrade account.

I don't dislike Scottrade; they were my first discount broker because of the low fees and they didn't charge account fees for inactivity. I just think there are some areas where they can improve technologically. For goodness sakes, it was just last year (can't remember what month) when I was able to successfully download the sweep account interest automatically into Quicken! Before then, I could automatically download my stock transactions but had to manually enter the sweep account interest. Not a hard exercise but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of automated downloads, don't ya think?

But it certainly is hard to argue against all those J.D. Power trophies, isn't it? And they're very friendly if you stop by the office just to ask a few questions.

If you know nothing about buying stock then DON'T just jump in and open an online account and put in an order to buy!!!

Do some research and learn about what investing in the stock market means, and the risks and rewards involved. These days, the risks are far greater than the rewards. When you buy stock in a company there is no guarantee that your stock will have any value next week or 10-years from now. If a company files for Chapter 11 Reorganization you lose your money (and probably shareholder benefits) ... even if the company continues to operate. EDIT to add ... not that I have any thoughts that RCL is in financial difficulty, but these days you just never know what is going to happen to any company.

There is lots of good info on the internet that will help you learn about public companies. RCL's value isn't probably going to change dramatically over the next few days, so take some time to learn a bit more about the process first. (Sorry to sound like a nagging mama, but I used to work in the industry and was always amazed by how many people didn't know what they got themselves into when they bought single stocks.)

You don't sound like a nag at all; that's solid advice (especially about the price not going anywhere any time soon so people can do research without fear of the price running away).

For what it's worth, there was a thread on here that debated whether the company would go bankrupt any time soon because the OP was concerned about her future cruise. That one set off a chain reaction of investing talk. :p

Define investment. The classical definition is an expenditure of money or capital with the express purpose of gaining income, increasing capital, or both.

I presume that when you bought your shares, the company was paying a dividend. So you invested $600 with the express purpose of collecting income in the form of regular dividend payments. You also collected income in the form of OBCs. And finally, you had the opportunity to see your capital increase in value. Sounds like an investment to me. ;)

The fact that the shares were at $6 has nothing to do with it not being an investment; it just sounds like you made a prudent move that limited your risk (loss) to a few hundred dollars while having the ability to completely recoup your cash outlay rather quickly (dividend yield + OBC).

Yes , I think its about time to pick up a 100 shares now. The negative seniment is at a low now on these boards,

I have been screwed by Rccl

I have been scamed by Rccl

The food sucks

The service stinks

I have been nickle and dimed

Yet these people continue to come here and post and continue to buy cruises on Rccl, go figure. So if I am reading all these post correctly Rccl is a crappy cruise line yet the people continue to buy cruises,so its time to buy the stock.

This is how i did it also. Very easy to do.

Laura