Enrichment programs - How child friendly are they?

Brit abroad

My 10 year old son is a little unusual in that he is a gifted dance student and training as a classical dancer. Consequently, his artistic interests are not that well catered for in traditional kids programs and 2 years ago many of the Kids Zone activities on the QM 2 did not particularly appeal to him as he is not that into ball games, computer games & DVD's etc.

Instead he loved to join in the RADA classes who made him feel very welcome as did the adult ballet & other dance classes. This year he has asked if he would be able to join in some of the other artistic enrichment programs such as art, textiles & ceramics etc.

I didn't take any serious note of these last time around as once we had attended a morning drama class & and an afternoon dance class we were both content to swim and see the shows etc, so I didn't notice if these other enrichment programs were strictly for adults or not?

Could anyone with more experience of these activities advise on their child friendliness, either with or without a mom please?

My 10 year old is a well behaved, polite sensible little chap, although I appreciate that not everyone might welcome a child, if these programs are normally adult orientated!

From how you describe your son, I would think that he would be fine. He might get a few strange looks at the outset but once that small hurdle is crossed I would suggest - no problem. You may want to speak to the person (s) running the group before it starts to smooth the way. Hope this helps.

Many thanks Captain Pugwash & Balph;)

I will probably attend anything new with him just to make sure it all works out - although it would be lovely to do a few things with my other half from time to time if it all looks to be going smoothly!

I would take him along, they are always very good, very interesting, if he really does not like one then you can just leave.

maybe he can join in the RADA and the dance classes that are offered on board as well

HI

I really know what you mean. When I went to the zone there were a lot of kids doing sports related things; so i never went back and kept my self ocupied by swiming, relaxing, and other intresting lectures in the daily program. :D Personally I am not a hugh sports person but the activities in the zone were not bad, but not to my liking.:D Anyway there are many things to do on QM2 that don't require you to go to the zone!;) I would not be worried.

ENJOY:):D

Archived