Carnival Valor 2/15-2/22 Review

SmerkyGrl

Greetings Friends!

Just got off the Valor today and literally finished unpacking. Thought I'd get these memories into writing as they still resonate strongly in my mind-- please do excuse any repeats (As I see The Klev has already written a rather detailed review of our trip) and the amateur quality of this review.

Embarkation:

The overall process was smooth and painless. We arrived at around 11:00 or so and handed our bags (nervously, as this was my first time) to a very enthusiastic porter. Of course, he was tipped very well to "make sure" our bags didn't get "lost".

Went up to the desk to get our sign and sails and get the paperwork done. The waiting area had already began to fill up with people of all sizes, colors, races, shapes, and backgrounds---I could feel the excitement rushing through the air as couples, families, and friends approach their awaiting vacation.

As this was my first cruise, I got the dinky blue S&S. Boo. My boyfriend had cruised with Carnival before and therefore got the gold. He made sure to rub this in my face as we found our way to our seats.

To pass the time, the wonderful Carnival staff was announcing a trivia game on the intercom. I was far too excited to pay attention so I snapped pictures of random things instead--people, luggage, children---a lady already lecturing and yelling at her husband. It amazes me how unhappy people can be even when they're on vacation; its like they live to be unhappy and complain!

At any rate, they finally finished the Trivia Game and announced that 2 lucky groups of guests had a Priority Embarkation sticker under their seat. At that point, EVERYONE got up and glanced under their seats. We didn't get any---but I felt so happy for the two people that did!

After the obligatory Embarkation photos, we get in line with all the others to get "beeped in". While waiting in line, I noticed a mom, dad, and two sons laughing at some loud guy ranting about Vanilla Ice. The Vanilla Ice guy sounded kind of crazy but I wrote him off as just being very happy that his vacation has finally arrived.

After grabbing a Drink of the Day for both me and the boy, we wandered the ship in wide-eyed awe while waiting for our rooms to be available. The ship, although gaudy, is truly beautiful in a very vibrant sort of way. Red, white, and blue splashed everywhere. Glinting gold eagles. The sparkling atrium with the piano playing. It was truly a sight that leaves one breathless...especially after only getting 2 hours of sleep the night before to prepare for all of this.

When 1:30 finally arrives, we head to our room for the first time.

The room is small but roomy---a bathroom door to the right, the closet doors to the left, and a lovely, soft, plush king-sized converted bed by the large Oceanview Window.

Without a word, we dropped our bags and fell in a heap into the bed. And that was the last that I remember before my watch alarm woke me up for 2:15---15 minutes before our roll call was suppose to meet at the bottom of the waterslide.

In a hurry, we got dressed in "summer clothes" and put on our leis---the indicator that we were from the Valor 2/15 roll call. Approaching the slide, my pulse raced with nerves as I saw not a sign of other people wearing leis. All I could think of in my mind was, GAh! What if I am the only dork that shows up?

Suddenly, I do catch a glint of flowers and color on a pretty long-haired woman sitting by the kiddie pool---and to my surprise, it is the mom from the family that was laughing at Vanilla Ice guy earlier! After making introductions, I realized that this was 3BoyMom (Chris) that I saw posting on rollcall. She and her hubbie Rich and two adorable little boys were the only ones who came through with the leis but we also met John and Don (Hi Blue!) later on. In combined effort, we played the trivia game on the lido deck and won a ship on a stick! Ok so maybe we got a bit more help than our brains combined---Louis (the boyfriend) also had the help of his iphone. Perhaps a hint for those with iPhones with a cruise coming up? ;)

Before we knew it, it was time for the Muster Drill so Louis and I went back to our cabins to rest a little before the drill. The drill itself was, quite frankly, a PITA but I know it is necessary. I was extremely glad to see the cooperation of all the pax during the drill which made the process that much easier, stress-free, and shorter.

Shortly after returning from the drill, we got a knock on our cabin room door---it was our luggage! All in one piece too---I was so glad because that meant I didn't have to wear the backup clothes in my carryon and I had all my toiletries.

I had all kinds of excitement bubbling in me as I dressed for dinner--after reading all the reviews from CC the last few months, I could just see the wonderful time I'd have with the new people I'd meet and the wonderful food. I could barely contain myself as we made our way up to the Washington Dining room!

....aaaaan Dinner was NOT what I expected.

Not only did we not sit at a large table with at least 5 other people like I imagined in my mind, we were stuffed in the back of the ship in a booth that reminded me of a diner with a couple we had NO chemistry with. Our waiters were wonderful but eating with the other couple, Keith and Sarah, was like being on a really bad blind date. Dead silence between forced conversation. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with them and they were both extremely nice---we just literally had nothing in common in terms of interests or personality.

On the bright side, the food was pretty good. Sarah, Keith, and Louis got the flat iron steak. I, for the life of me, cannot remember what I got but it wasn't the steak. I tried a piece of Louis' steak and it was good but I wasn't crazy about the sauce. Pair that with the forced conversations, Louis' sudden motion sickness during dinner (he managed to make it to a bathroom) and I was beginning to despair a little about the eating part of our vacation.

Before settling into bed that night, Louis and I agreed to talk to the Maitre'D the next day to get our seating changed. I was wary of being "That guy" that complained about everything but I figured it was a valid concern (the lack of chemistry) and would be a great chance to meet the Maitre'd anyway.

Next Piece: Fun Day at Sea

Great review so far, I don't know how you have the strenth left in you to write a review so soon.

That's the funny thing about the dining room, sometimes you have great chemistry and sometimes it just does not work.

I look forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise.

Greetings Friends!

Just got off the Valor today and literally finished unpacking. Thought I'd get these memories into writing as they still resonate strongly in my mind-- please do excuse any repeats (As I see The Klev has already written a rather detailed review of our trip) and the amateur quality of this review.

Embarkation:

The overall process was smooth and painless. We arrived at around 11:00 or so and handed our bags (nervously, as this was my first time) to a very enthusiastic porter. Of course, he was tipped very well to "make sure" our bags didn't get "lost".

Went up to the desk to get our sign and sails and get the paperwork done. The waiting area had already began to fill up with people of all sizes, colors, races, shapes, and backgrounds---I could feel the excitement rushing through the air as couples, families, and friends approach their awaiting vacation.

As this was my first cruise, I got the dinky blue S&S. Boo. My boyfriend had cruised with Carnival before and therefore got the gold. He made sure to rub this in my face as we found our way to our seats.

To pass the time, the wonderful Carnival staff was announcing a trivia game on the intercom. I was far too excited to pay attention so I snapped pictures of random things instead--people, luggage, children---a lady already lecturing and yelling at her husband. It amazes me how unhappy people can be even when they're on vacation; its like they live to be unhappy and complain!

At any rate, they finally finished the Trivia Game and announced that 2 lucky groups of guests had a Priority Embarkation sticker under their seat. At that point, EVERYONE got up and glanced under their seats. We didn't get any---but I felt so happy for the two people that did!

After the obligatory Embarkation photos, we get in line with all the others to get "beeped in". While waiting in line, I noticed a mom, dad, and two sons laughing at some loud guy ranting about Vanilla Ice. The Vanilla Ice guy sounded kind of crazy but I wrote him off as just being very happy that his vacation has finally arrived.

After grabbing a Drink of the Day for both me and the boy, we wandered the ship in wide-eyed awe while waiting for our rooms to be available. The ship, although gaudy, is truly beautiful in a very vibrant sort of way. Red, white, and blue splashed everywhere. Glinting gold eagles. The sparkling atrium with the piano playing. It was truly a sight that leaves one breathless...especially after only getting 2 hours of sleep the night before to prepare for all of this.

The room is small but roomy---a bathroom door to the right, the closet doors to the left, and a lovely, soft, plush king-sized converted bed by the large Oceanview Window.

Without a word, we dropped our bags and fell in a heap into the bed. And that was the last that I remember before my watch alarm woke me up for 2:15---15 minutes before our roll call was suppose to meet at the bottom of the waterslide.

In a hurry, we got dressed in "summer clothes" and put on our leis---the indicator that we were from the Valor 2/15 roll call. Approaching the slide, my pulse raced with nerves as I saw not a sign of other people wearing leis. All I could think of in my mind was, GAh! What if I am the only dork that shows up?

Suddenly, I do catch a glint of flowers and color on a pretty long-haired woman sitting by the kiddie pool---and to my surprise, it is the mom from the family that was laughing at Vanilla Ice guy earlier! After making introductions, I realized that this was 3BoyMom (Chris) that I saw posting on rollcall. She and her hubbie Rich and two adorable little boys were the only ones who came through with the leis but we also met John and Don (Hi Blue!) later on. In combined effort, we played the trivia game on the lido deck and won a ship on a stick! Ok so maybe we got a bit more help than our brains combined---Louis (the boyfriend) also had the help of his iphone. Perhaps a hint for those with iPhones with a cruise coming up? ;)

Before we knew it, it was time for the Muster Drill so Louis and I went back to our cabins to rest a little before the drill. The drill itself was, quite frankly, a PITA but I know it is necessary. I was extremely glad to see the cooperation of all the pax during the drill which made the process that much easier, stress-free, and shorter.

Shortly after returning from the drill, we got a knock on our cabin room door---it was our luggage! All in one piece too---I was so glad because that meant I didn't have to wear the backup clothes in my carryon and I had all my toiletries.

I had all kinds of excitement bubbling in me as I dressed for dinner--after reading all the reviews from CC the last few months, I could just see the wonderful time I'd have with the new people I'd meet and the wonderful food. I could barely contain myself as we made our way up to the Washington Dining room!

Not only did we not sit at a large table with at least 5 other people like I imagined in my mind, we were stuffed in the back of the ship in a booth that reminded me of a diner with a couple we had NO chemistry with. Our waiters were wonderful but eating with the other couple, Keith and Sarah, was like being on a really bad blind date. Dead silence between forced conversation. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with them and they were both extremely nice---we just literally had nothing in common in terms of interests or personality.

On the bright side, the food was pretty good. Sarah, Keith, and Louis got the flat iron steak. I, for the life of me, cannot remember what I got but it wasn't the steak. I tried a piece of Louis' steak and it was good but I wasn't crazy about the sauce. Pair that with the forced conversations, Louis' sudden motion sickness during dinner (he managed to make it to a bathroom) and I was beginning to despair a little about the eating part of our vacation.

Before settling into bed that night, Louis and I agreed to talk to the Maitre'D the next day to get our seating changed. I was wary of being "That guy" that complained about everything but I figured it was a valid concern (the lack of chemistry) and would be a great chance to meet the Maitre'd anyway.

Are you sure his sudden motion sickness wasn't a plan of escape to get away from the couple you were dining with?:D

Hi smerkygirl, we came to the slide and don't see anyone with a lei on. We all had ours on, DH hates them, he said they make him itch. Anyway, don't know what happened to the meet and greet. I was looking forward to meeting you guys. Our waiters were awful. They were nice but couldn't get our orders right, and never refilled our water and tea glass. We were in the Washington dining room at the rear of the ship. I will post a review later. Sorry again about not finding you guys. We did try.

Greetings Friends!

Embarkation:

I am so sorry we didn't get to meet each other, though Chris pointed me out to you - I believe, because that's when I was trying to rip my wife from the Karaoke/Conga line.

We did hang out with smark's nephew and his wife, as my wife actually sat next to them on the flight from Atlanta, a great way to start the cruise!

I can't wait to see your reviews, because I want to get the full perspective of the cruise. It was tough being with 15 people and I missed a lot of things - since we had quite a bit of alcohol on board though wine bottles, propel water bottles (great way to hide light colored rum and vodka), we only did the Lido drinks once.

I am sorry we missed you as the 15 of us sat in the aft of the Washington Dining room - late seating, and our waiter and staff did magic tricks for our kids, who parenthetically had their own table.

I am slo looking forward to hearing about your disembarkation experience. We loved hanging on the Lido until the bitter end, but clearing customs sucked. The boat was at 3100, full capacity, and that clearly had something to do with it.

We're thinking Valor again on 2/13/10 and would love to hear more Valor stories.

Keep it coming!

Part 2: Fun Day At Sea

Because Louis tossed his cookies at dinner the night before, he was up and about around 6 am complaining about hunger pains. I told him to shut up and wait for breakfast and then hit him with a pillow and went back to sleep. It wasn't long before I was awaken again by even louder whining so I finally rolled out of bed and suggested we go try out the 24-hour pizza.

The pizza station guy told us it would be about 10 minutes for him to cook up a fresh pizza so while Louis waited, I beelined to the coffee station on the Lido. When I came back, he was already happily munching away on the most amazing-smelling overstuffed pizza pocket ever. It oozed with real cheese and was filled with fresh sausage and pepperoni. I think the strong aroma could wake even the sleepiest grouchiest person and make them hungry.

After he finished, we went out on the deck to watch the sunrise. There were already a couple of people holding coffee mugs and looking far out onto the horizon. The sky was painted like a brilliant watercolor, as the slightest glint of the sun slowly peeked out through the clouds. I felt every inch of my body tingle with contentness. At that moment, that perfect moment, I was so happy to be with the one I love under a picturesque sky out in the vastness of the ocean. I could have died happy in that very moment.

It wasn't long before the entire ship started to stir with awakening pax and we decided to go grab some breakfast before the ship got too crowded.

Rather than going to the lido, I suggested we head to the dining room as I heard on CC that the dining rooms had amazing breakfasts. We were seated next to a Finnish couple--both of them with model-like characteristics and my initial thought was, Wow! They look interesting to talk to!

..Boy was I wrong! As we sat down, they didn't even so much as acknowledge us. I looked at Louis and he looked at me. After about a 10 second silence, he finally broke the awkward silence and stuck out his hand, "Hi! I'm Louis!" I followed and turned to the girl to introduce myself. That was when we found out their names (that I've already forgotten...oops) and that they were from Finland. Just like the night before---dead, awkward, silence. At least the menu looked good.

Perhaps the heavens took pity on us but before we were able to order, a couple from Maryland sat down beside us at our 6-person table. Unlike the Finnish couple, they were very nice and talkative. We laughed and joked and talked about past cruises (and I listened because I didn't have anything to share). If not for the joyful couple from Maryland, I probably would have been so intimidated by the dining room that I would have spent the rest of the cruise eating on the Lido and from Room Service.

Before we left the dining room (I was stuffed to the brim from the scrambled eggs and toast), we asked to see the Maitre'D to change our tabel. He was a stern looking man from India. A first look at him and I knew he wouldn't be the kind bubbly person Matt, the activities director, was. And thus I approached him as kindly and tactfully as possible, with a 10 dollar bill tucked in my pocket for backup. We told him that we had no chemistry with our dinnermates and if he would kindly move us. While he was softspoken, his eyes clearly showed annoyance and his speech was very short. We were moved though---to the other side of the dining room to table 365. A 6 person table. Mission accomplished. I eyed Louis to see if we should tip him and he shook his head no. Later on he told me that he felt the coldness as well and for that, the Maitre'D didn't deserve a tip. Oh well, 10 bucks more for me at the casino.

Though the activities on the capers were inticing to me, Louis decided he wanted to just stay in our room and relax. He'd brought a couple of movies with him so we pretty much stayed in all day to watch movies. Sorry that I couldn't give you more insight on what went on that day. I just remember that there was a lot...and I missed it all, a little to my disappointment.

Did I mention our Steward was really nice? His name was Kataliya (I think that's how you spell it) and he was always smiling--never intrusive. He did manage to walk in on us having uh...uh..alone time ---nevermind. You really don't need to know. Point is, he was nice and made me feel very at home. Yay Steward.

After a few movies, a nap, and another stroll around the ship, it was dinner time. We eagerly made our way to our new table and found no one was sitting there. As I was about to take my seat, two ladies came up behind us and started almost yelling in Spanish. I was so confused that I leapt up and hid behind Louis as he tried to figure out what was going on.

To add to the mix, another mother and daughter duo also arrived at our table and the two ladies started yelling at THEM too. It was so awkward and confusing!

Finally, one of them spoke in perfect English and said that there were three more coming to that table. My initial thought was oh, maybe the Maitre'D messed up our table swap. But then it turns out (according to our wonderful waiter, Leonardo--more on him later) that they had the table to themselves last night and did not want us to intrude on their dinner. Well that's just too bad. The rest of us (Louis, myself, and the mother/daughter duo ) decided to sit down anyway since that was our assigned table and we had a right to be there.

The mom's name was Abby and her darling 8 year old daughter was Haley. They were from New York. It was their first time cruising and Abby had just gotten laid off a week ago. I tried to reassure her that at least now she doesn't have to worry about going back to a busy job and she can start looking for a new one. I'm not sure how well that one went over but she was nice about it. Haley jabbered about the Camp Carnival and how great it was. She genuinely looked like she had a great time.

All throughout dinner, our waiter Leonardo and his assistant waiter (forgot his name) were very attentive and polite. Leonardo even made quacking noises when I ordered the duck --I guess he read easily that I'd be the type to be -so- amused by that. The duck was de-li-cious! So delicious, in fact, that Louis ordered two plates. Dessert was wonderful too. I had the pineapple sorbet and everyone else had the melting cake.

All throughout dinner, the two spanish ladies sat at our side and ignored us while looking very angry. They spoke in Spanish and did not make any eye contact. And that was the last that we ever saw of them as they never returned back to our table.

That's fine though, because our night ended happily as we made friends with Abby and Haley and went back to our room stuffed, content, and happy.

Next part: Grand Cayman Islands.

Sorry to hear about the awful table mates. We've been fortunate on both our previous cruises. We even were adopted from another table too. I hope things got better, and i can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Gecko7:cool:

Hi Smerky Girl,

Sorry, we were some of the "lame-os" who did not show up with the leis at the meeting spot. My bag with the leis got left in the trunk of the car and with a group of five, three of them new to cruising, trying to round everyone up and do something proved impossible. Sorry!

Its fun reading your reviews, keep them coming. We were in the Washington, early seating. We had been assigned the Lincoln but my husband wanted the Washington so the Maitr'D moved us. We got an excellent table, by a window and all to ourselves. Great wait staff and the food was as good as we remembered.

Our first time in a balcony cabin so that was cool. Really nice to just step outside your room to enjoy some fresh air. Also fun to sit out there when your're in port and people watch. Especially people hurrying back to the boat when you are already seating on your balcony with your feet up!

We had such a good time my husband and I booked our next cruise on board, the Freedom, 8 day Eastern Caribbean for January 30 next year! This time we are trying a suite, will probably be hooked on those now.

Keep your reviews coming, are you now hooked on cruising like the rest of us???

Doug & Chris:)

What a great review! We can't wait to read more as we sail on the Valor soon.

Thanks

Not to hijack, but... :rolleyes:

I noticed that you are in Niles. I grew up in Skokie and now live in Batavia. When are you on Valor? We are on the April 19th Western Carib cruise.

Archived