Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

GAMOM4

We have booked a cruise out of Tampa - we booked the five night cruise that goes to Cozumel & Grand Cayman. Which one of the two of those islands do you like better? I haven't been to either one... the reason I'm asking is we were looking at the cost of the 4 night cruise that just goes to Cozumel and that would save a good bit of money. I know 5 nights is better than 4 but 4 is better than none! (A cruise of any length is better than being home!) We could also save money by all 4 of us being in the same cabin...but that would be a little cramped with 2 teenagers and us - so right now they are booked across the hall from us. If we did the 4 night one we could be in 2 outside rooms. Opinions please! There is a difference in dates also - the 5 night one is the last week of July and the 4 night would be the 2nd 2eek of July. The July 4th sailing is only $20.00 more per person than the 28th.

We have booked a cruise out of Tampa - we booked the five night cruise that goes to Cozumel & Grand Cayman. Which one of the two of those islands do you like better? I haven't been to either one... the reason I'm asking is we were looking at the cost of the 4 night cruise that just goes to Cozumel and that would save a good bit of money. I know 5 nights is better than 4 but 4 is better than none! (A cruise of any length is better than being home!) We could also save money by all 4 of us being in the same cabin...but that would be a little cramped with 2 teenagers and us - so right now they are booked across the hall from us. If we did the 4 night one we could be in 2 outside rooms. Opinions please! There is a difference in dates also - the 5 night one is the last week of July and the 4 night would be the 2nd 2eek of July. The July 4th sailing is only $20.00 more per person than the 28th.

I like Grand Cayman for stingray city. Cozumel is also very nice. I just got back a few weeks ago from that cruise out of Tampa on the Inspiration. Cozumel we got a lot more time at that port than Grand Cayman. Both are nice ports

Did the Inspiration 5 night in January. I can't say I'd be able to pick one over the other. They were both great. The only negative is tendering into Cayman. Not the tender ride itself, but the chaos that ensues when you're trying to get off the ship. Grand Cayman was a really nice place to visit. Went to Margaritaville and to Royal Palms to do the beach thing. Swam with the dolphins in Cozumel.

I have never tendered before...is that where you get on a smaller ship - and does that take a long time for so many people to get off. I have only been to Nassau, Freeport & Key West - so I don't know what to compare it to. I guess the reason the agent didn't mention the July 4th one is because that is probably a busier time. He did say that I had until Friday to change my mind-this is because I booked at the early saver discount. Four night total would be $1624.00 and Five night total would be $2094.00. Plus we would have the tips and everything we spend on either one and of course that would be more on the 5 night.

Hmmm...tough choice...I like them both for different reasons. I loved Stingray City, and I think it's a must see sometime on a cruise, but I don't know that I'd need to go back to Grand Cayman after seeing it once. I would go back to the beach club we went to in Cozumel again, because it was so relaxing, and I liked the package we got. It was the Playa Uvas beach club and we booked an all inclusive day through their website that included clear bottom kayaking, snorkeling, lunch, drinks and full use of their club with comfy beach chairs. If you think you might take a shorter cruise sometime in the future though, and Cozumel would be on that itinerary, you might go for Grand Cayman this time around.

I haven't been to either one (yet - going in May) but if you don't see yourself going on another cruise in the foreseeable future, I would admit that I would spring for the 5 night cruise even if it means having to stay in an inside cabin. That way you get both ports in the same cruise. JMHO :)

Both of the quotes that I was given was for two rooms (probably because everytime we have cruised it has been in two rooms). We don't have passports yet - and the PVP told me that we could get a passport card at the post office and that it was cheaper and quicker to get than a passport. Do any of you have the card?

I have never tendered before...is that where you get on a smaller ship - and does that take a long time for so many people to get off. I have only been to Nassau, Freeport & Key West - so I don't know what to compare it to. I guess the reason the agent didn't mention the July 4th one is because that is probably a busier time. He did say that I had until Friday to change my mind-this is because I booked at the early saver discount. Four night total would be $1624.00 and Five night total would be $2094.00. Plus we would have the tips and everything we spend on either one and of course that would be more on the 5 night.

Yep, that's tendering. It took us about a half hour to get on the tender boat from the ship.

I say go with the cheaper option. We have been to both of those ports...4 times each! Both are terrific...and both have their pro and cons...but overall...I would have to give them both 9 out of 10's. And Cozumel...is cheaper...but world class nonetheless.

We have been to Cozumel twice and really liked it...we went to Paradise Beach both times. We have 3 teenagers who really enjoyed themselves there! I can not speak for Grand Cayman as we will be visiting there for the first time next month. I will say tho...I would def opt for the 2 cabins tho.....We always get the kids their own cabin across the hall from us and I just know how crowded it is in there with the 3 of them!! :eek: Seems as tho I am always in there trying to make some kind of order to the place!! :)

I love Cozumel! I've never been to Grand Cayman though, so I can't compare... yet... (Going in March, 2010)

If you choose to go the 4-day route and an extra few hours in the car doesn't bother you (or flights aren't more expensive), you might also consider the Imagination out of Miami. You still get Cozumel, but you also get Key West, and the Imagination is almost always cheaper than the Inspiration, sometimes more than $100pp cheaper.

Both of the quotes that I was given was for two rooms (probably because everytime we have cruised it has been in two rooms). We don't have passports yet - and the PVP told me that we could get a passport card at the post office and that it was cheaper and quicker to get than a passport. Do any of you have the card?

If you're willing to get a passport card, just get a passport - the card is more for people who travel back and forth via vehicle to Canada and Mexico for work. The turnaround time for both is the same.

I've been to both. The answer to your question depends on what you might want to do in each port. Grand Caymen is clean with several different excursions to choose from, but if your wanting to shop then Grand Caymen can be a little pricey. Cozumel has several different excursions or parks to choose from but is not as clean as Grand caymen. I'm not saying it's extremely dirty are dangerous just not as clean as Grand caymen, but the shopping is much cheaper and in my opinion many more shops to choose from. and you don't have to tender in Cozumel like you would have to do in Grand Caymen. With that said the tendering was not that bad in Grand Caymen just not as convenant as just being able to walk off the ship.

If you're willing to get a passport card, just get a passport - the card is more for people who travel back and forth via vehicle to Canada and Mexico for work. The turnaround time for both is the same.

I agree.

You can't use the card for air travel between the US and any other country.

When you tender are you expected to pay the person that is driving the tender boat? It sounds like the majority of people would just go for the 4 night cruise - and with the economy like it is - and jobs changing - I may be better off to call and and ask them to change to the 4 night (my husband works in the manufacturing industry - and you never know what might happen there!) With the 5 night cruise we had to put $200.00 deposit for each person - for the 4 night is it the same amount? Not that it matters since I paid it last night; but just curious.

I literally just returned from a cruise that went to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I'd say Cozumel wins, hands down. First, if you aren't into Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, there is nothing to do. Everything is more expensive in GC as 1 US Dollar = 1.25 GC Dollar. I spent frickin 58 bucks there, just for lunch!!!

Cozumel, on the other hand, runs on pesos. Mucho cheapo. The small shops are fun to shop in and there's always the private beach clubs like Nachi Cocum where you can have more fun for your dollar.

Why does it show on here that my post was moved? This was a post regarding which cruise I should choose. Have any of you been to Half Moon Cay? We have never been there either - but I guess that Cozumel would be a better choice than to go to Half Moon Cay wouldn't it?

I made a mistake typing my last post - I meant to say are you expected to "tip" the person driving the tender not "pay".

No, tips aren't required on the tenders but would be nice if you are given extra service -- like help with a wheel chair, assist an elderly passenger get on and off, or a crew member goes top side to take a picture for you with your camera.

Having been to both ports more than once (and to Cozumel on two land vacations) our choice would be Cozumel for the convenience, cheaper prices, the scenery on the east side, and the easy driving.

Passport cards are useless! There is absolutely no advantage to them over using just a birth certificate and photo i.d.

If you for any reason have to fly home from a foreign port, neither a birth certificate or a passport card will help you. Only a regular passport.

Archived