Tips - Help Please !!

From the Royal Caribbean Website:

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Notice to Guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

We generally tip unless I feel that service was exceptionally bad.

Only time withheld tip on a cruise was on Celebrity last May. The service in the dining room had been fine (not great but fine) all week. My husband doesn't like to add tips to our account, he likes to hand them personally and thank the person. So we went to dinner the last night and for some reason the service was not so fine. Our waiter and assit. waiter were not very polite to anyone at the table, they almost throwing the plates and cutlery on the table and even appeared to be fighting with eachother, on of the other ladies actually asked him if he was okay. This in itself would not have made me not give a tip but, to top it off at the end of the meal (keeping in mind that my husband had their gratuity envelopes in his pocket) the waiter announced loudly accross the table to the other 4 guests that he had received their gratuities and thanked them for it, glared at us and walked away.

After this we proceeded back to the lounge that we had frequented all week and happily gave these tips to the waitress and bartender who had served us all week.

Unfortunately, there is a line.

Cheers

Keith and Mike - all Brits should prepay the grats as you get a much better rate of exchange.

For example the tips for a 14n cruise is £68.61pp if you pay upfront

If you pay on board it is $9.75pp x 14days = $136.50 converted back to £97.5 onboard

Any good TA should have explained this to you

The figures say it all!

I've already booked and paid my deposit for the cruise.Can you still chose to pre pay the gratuities before the final balance is due ?

Keith.

Could someone please explain how tipping operates on RCI Ships.

Pretty much the same as most others. Superstar and other lines will provide 'all inclusive or no tipping' but all the rest tend to dictate what you should tip - whether you get the service or not. All, as far as I know, publish their recommended rates on their websites.

Almost all will automatically add a 15% gratuity to every item ordered at the bar.

Are tips added to my on board account or do I need to tip out in cash myself ? If so do I tip daily or at the end of the holiday?

The bar tips and any additional tips you authorise at the time of purchase will be added to your account - check your account daily and retain all you receipts for reconciliation. You will get a bill at the end of the cruise.

I assume I sign for drinks as and when served and these are added to my account. Id so do I need to add a tip at the same time ?

You already have - they automatically added 15%. Google baksheesh. (If that does not work it essentially means - 'money for nothing')

Who expects a tip and on average what should I be paying out ?

Everybody - and sometimes more than what the service was worth. Just remember, there is an inbuilt expectation so you may need to explain why the service was 'lacking'.

I know a lot of you Americans will think this a ridiculous question but our tipping culture in the UK is totally different.

For example, people here tip 10% to a waitress and for example a cab driver for good service. No good service no tip. I generally however tip regardless.

BUT if you went to a pub/bar in the UK you never tip a barman.

A bit of advice on RCI tipping is appreciated for fear of causing any embarassment whilst on board.

Tip those that gave you good service and you won't be embarrassed - just tipping a lot more people than you expected. You will have a good time and you will be spoilt rotten.

Many thanks

Mike

I've only cruised once before and I followed the suggestion...put cash in the envelopes. I did not hand-deliver them though..left them in my room (which come to think of it, I believe that was suggested). Maybe I should have hand-delivered! :confused:

If hand delivering them is best...when do you do that? The morning you leave or the day before.

We cruised on Celebrity and the only problem I had was tipping the maitre'd. I didn't even know who he was and never saw him and not sure what he did exactly to get a tip. But, I still did tip him.

I have heard of people leaving their room attendants money each day so is this on top of the end of the week tips?

I am a little confused and want to be sure I do this properly as I know how hard they work!

Don't worry about it at all - they will mention tipping almost every day in the daily compass!! LOL However do pre-pay via your TA.

Also check online (you can do this even if you booked via a TA) and have a look at excersions etc. Unless the $/£ goes above 1.55 then it will be cheaper to pre-pay for excusions and other add-ons.

That makes absolutely no sense at all - suppose there were four adults in the same cabin. Kids usually make more of a mess than adults anyway.

There is still only one bathroom to clean and one floor to vacuum. There are 4 beds to make so I would prorate the tips for the third and fourth person. I would use the suggested amounts for the first two people. I am giving my opinion not arguing with you, YOU can do what ever you see fit and I can do the same.

The tipping amounts are GUIDELINES, SUGGESTED, not mandatory, not set in cement. Do whatever you're comfortable with and I'll do the same.

I am also a first timer with RCCL,sailed also with Ocean Village(all gratuities included) My UK TA advised me to pay onboard as it would be cheaper than the £275(Family of 4 quoted in July) I would be paying upfront.As I hadn't a clue I never gave it a thought.Now after reading everyones posts I am thinking should I pay when my balance is due in 6 weeks,obviously the exchange rate is poor just now,when is the exchange rate calculated ? $546 is now £381!!

Archived