Tips - Help Please !!

Hi, before I start I have only cruised once before on a ship where tips were "included" (although I doubt any of the poor blighters saw a penny of the tips).

Could someone please explain how tipping operates on RCI Ships.

Are tips added to my on board account or do I need to tip out in cash myself ? If so do I tip daily or at the end of the holiday ?

I assume I sign for drinks as and when served and these are added to my account. Id so do I need to add a tip at the same time ?

Who expects a tip and on average what should I be paying out ?

I know a lot of you Americans will think this a ridiculous question but our tipping culture in the UK is totally different.

For example, people here tip 10% to a waitress and for example a cab driver for good service. No good service no tip. I generally however tip regardless.

BUT if you went to a pub/bar in the UK you never tip a barman.

A bit of advice on RCI tipping is appreciated for fear of causing any embarassment whilst on board.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi, before I start I have only cruised once before on a ship where tips were "included" (although I doubt any of the poor blighters saw a penny of the tips).

Are tips added to my on board account or do I need to tip out in cash myself ? If so do I tip daily or at the end of the holiday ? Tips are not added to you account automatically, you can request that they are, you will normally receive a sign up sheet in your cabin 1/2 way thru your cruise, and then receive a voucher to give the employee in the tip envelope, or you can pay in cash, or have them charged and then add cash. Either way you normally tip on the last night

I assume I sign for drinks as and when served and these are added to my account. Id so do I need to add a tip at the same time ? A 15% tip is added to the charge automatically, you can add more if desired

Who expects a tip and on average what should I be paying out ? Tips are recommended for, your cabin steward, your waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter, the recommended total amount is $9.75 per passenger per day

I know a lot of you Americans will think this a ridiculous question but our tipping culture in the UK is totally different.

For example, people here tip 10% to a waitress and for example a cab driver for good service. No good service no tip. I generally however tip regardless.

BUT if you went to a pub/bar in the UK you never tip a barman. Whatever happened to " and one for yerself mate"?:D

A bit of advice on RCI tipping is appreciated for fear of causing any embarassment whilst on board.

Many thanks

Mike

No--it's $9.75 per PASSENGER per day--that covers ALL of the "tipped" service folks on the ship.

It does not cover tips to porters, taxis, room service delivery.

That seems more reasonable :)

So does the tip money go in one envelope and thats it or do I need to physically tip each member of staff. If so how is that $9.75 split between those mentioned earlier ?

I assume "one for yourself and one for yermate" is buying the bartender a drink...our bartender's aren't supposed to drink on the job. 15% is added to your bartab..no need to tip additionally.

The and one fer yerself mate, was in reference to not tipping in English pubs. When I frequented English pubs it was customary to buy a good bartender a drink and there was no problem with them drinking while working. It has nothing to do with the bartenders onboard

That seems more reasonable :)

So does the tip money go in one envelope and thats it or do I need to physically tip each member of staff. If so how is that $9.75 split between those mentioned earlier ?

You get an envelope for each staff member, if you put you tips on you charge card then you get a voucher to put in the envelopes and hand the envelopes to each person, normally at dinner on the last night. If you are tipping in cash, they also give you a breakdown of the $9.75 so you can tip each person the recommended amount

Here's the breakdown:

Room attendant--$3.50 per day per guest

Waiter--$3.50 per day, per guest

Ass't. waiter--$2.00 per day per guest

Head waiter--$.75 per day, per guest

If you are in a true suite (GS or above) you will increase the suite attendant tip to $5.75 per day per guest.

You get an envelope for each staff member, if you put you tips on you charge card then you get a voucher to put in the envelopes and hand the envelopes to each person, normally at dinner on the last night. If you are tipping in cash, they also give you a breakdown of the $9.75 so you can tip each person the recommended amount

Cheers Simon. I now fully understand.

Keith and Mike - all Brits should prepay the grats as you get a much better rate of exchange.

For example the tips for a 14n cruise is £68.61pp if you pay upfront

If you pay on board it is $9.75pp x 14days = $136.50 converted back to £97.5 onboard

Any good TA should have explained this to you

The figures say it all!

Keith and Mike - all Brits should prepay the grats as you get a much better rate of exchange.

For example the tips for a 14n cruise is £68.61pp if you pay upfront

If you pay on board it is $9.75pp x 14days = $136.50 converted back to £97.5 onboard

The figures say it all!

Hmm,I'll look into that,that's a good tip ( Pardon the pun )

I'll ask my agent about that,I think he mentioned it when I booked.

Keith.

I booked via Virgin and they didn't mention anything about tips.

I wonder if you can help me with one other question.

We have paid extra to fly to Miami with Virgin and are staying a night in Miami before crusing. I know that if I had taken the Chartered Monarch flight my luggage would then be transported straight to the ship but will the same thing happen with Virgin do you think or will I need to collect my lugggage from the carousel and take to the ship myself ?

We have paid extra to fly to Miami with Virgin and are staying a night in Miami before crusing. I know that if I had taken the Chartered Monarch flight my luggage would then be transported straight to the ship but will the same thing happen with Virgin do you think or will I need to collect my lugggage from the carousel and take to the ship myself ?

Yes, you need to collect your baggage yourself. Actually, in most of the cases I've seen, you have to collect your baggage no matter what; if you have transfers booked through the cruiseline, they will transport you and your baggage, but you have to retrieve it yourself. Especially if you're coming from overseas; you have to bring your baggage through Customs, I don't believe that can be done for you.

Yes, you need to collect your baggage yourself. Actually, in most of the cases I've seen, you have to collect your baggage no matter what; if you have transfers booked through the cruiseline, they will transport you and your baggage, but you have to retrieve it yourself. Especially if you're coming from overseas; you have to bring your baggage through Customs, I don't believe that can be done for you.

Interesting.

My parents have sailed RCI and P&O several times and every time they check their luggage in in the UK and dont see it again until they get to their cabin.

Same happened to us when we sailed with Ocean Village from Barbados although that was straight off the plane and onto a bus that took us to the ship. Didn't have to go through customs or anything.

I suppose that seeing as we are staying 1 night in Miami first we should treat it like any conventional holiday and just collect our own luggage and get a cab to our hotel.

Are tips added to my on board account or do I need to tip out in cash myself ? If so do I tip daily or at the end of the holiday ?

I assume I sign for drinks as and when served and these are added to my account. Id so do I need to add a tip at the same time ?

Who expects a tip and on average what should I be paying out ?

BUT if you went to a pub/bar in the UK you never tip a barman.

Many thanks

Mike

Prepay your tips, it works out a better for UK passengers because of exchange rate.

That is naughty - they should have told you about the expected tips so it doesn't come as an unexpected shock.

You take your luggage from the carousel, to the hotel, and load it on the coach to go to the ship.

Regarding tipping, my 13 year old I am sure is considered an adult but what about my 8 year old. Do we tip the same amounts??
Are they in your cabin? Is there two bathrooms and two cabins to clean? If they are in their own cabin then i would tip the same as for an adult. If they are in their parents cabin then i would prorate the cabin. The dining room I would tip full amount because they are getting the same amount of service. That's my opinion.

Are they in your cabin? Is there two bathrooms and two cabins to clean? If they are in their own cabin then i would tip the same as for an adult. If they are in their parents cabin then i would prorate the cabin. The dining room I would tip full amount because they are getting the same amount of service. That's my opinion.

That makes absolutely no sense at all - suppose there were four adults in the same cabin. Kids usually make more of a mess than adults anyway.

Archived