Has Anyone Sailed on Tauck?

StarTrkGeek

My wife and I are planning a trip from Amsterdam to Budapest, and are undecided between Tauck and Uniworld. I understand that Tauck is more expensive because they are all-inclusive (there are no optional excursions, all are included, and tips are included).

However, what are the other differences (for example, food quality, variety, and taste; service; quality of the tours; number of people on each tour; quality of the beds/mattresses; as well as little extras thrown in)?

I know that most offer free table wine at dinner. What about free beer?

Although there are lots of comments about Uniworld on these boards, there is very little about Tack. Has anyone sailed on Tauck?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

My wife and I are planning a trip from Amsterdam to Budapest, and are undecided between Tauck and Uniworld. I understand that Tauck is more expensive because they are all-inclusive (there are no optional excursions, all are included, and tips are included).

However, what are the other differences (for example, food quality, variety, and taste; service; quality of the tours; number of people on each tour; quality of the beds/mattresses; as well as little extras thrown in)?

I know that most offer free table wine at dinner. What about free beer?

Although there are lots of comments about Uniworld on these boards, there is very little about Tack. Has anyone sailed on Tauck?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Are you booked yet?

Please shop around and make you are satisfied before you give them a deposit.

I plan to. Tauck is by far the most expensive. Even after I subtract the normal cost of optional tours and cruise ship tips, they are still far more expensive than either AMA Waterways or Uniworld. I am trying to find out if they are worth the additional cost.

I did the same "due diligence" prior to booking with Tauck and decided to do so...even with the add'l expense.

I have seen almost nothing but universal praise on ALL aspects of a Tauck Rivercruise...including customer service, itineraries, staff, quality of food, etc., etc., etc...all the things I value.

I have been on Tauck land tours and found them to be outstanding as well so I am not surprised at the vast majority of people who praise them.

Some people on this board don't support Tauck only because they are not considered a river cruise company like some of the other's that they represent...IMHO!

Take care

Some people on this board don't support Tauck only because they are not considered a river cruise company like some of the other's that they represent...IMHO!

Take care

NO, not all people!:confused:

It's the crappy customer service they offer that has me caution a potential customer.

Tauck land tours have nothing to do with the river boat cruises. Two separate entities. Same company but different rules and guidelines.

Rather than a "he said"..."she said"...I recommend you do a SEARCH in this forum using the keyword "Tauck" and you will see everything posted about them and then you have a basis for your decision.

That is, essentially, what I did and based on that information, other web sites, and my own Tauck experience...I chose to go with Tauck.:)

Rather than a "he said"..."she said"...I recommend you do a SEARCH in this forum using the keyword "Tauck" and you will see everything posted about them and then you have a basis for your decision.

That is, essentially, what I did and based on that information, other web sites, and my own Tauck experience...I chose to go with Tauck.:)

Relax!!

No one said not to book Tauck! Only to research and then decide.

Relax!!

No one said not to book Tauck! Only to research and then decide.

The only reason that I would choose NOT to book with Tauck is the cost. Right now, I just do not see how they can justify such a high price.

For example, to travel between Amsterdam and Budapest on June 20, 2009 in a standard cabin:

1. AMA Waterways: $4,499
  2. Tauck: $5,890

Since Tauck includes tips and optional tours: If I add $10 per day for tips (total of $150) plus another $200 for optional tours, the total for AMA would be $4,499 + $150 + $200 = $4,849. This means the Tauck costs $1,041 more than AMA Waterways.

Plus, the Tauck standard cabins are only 150 sq. ft. compared to the 170 sq. ft. on the ships of AMA Waterways.

Can someone tell me why Tauck is worth so much more money?

The only reason that I would choose NOT to book with Tauck is the cost. Right now, I just do not see how they can justify such a high price.

For example, to travel between Amsterdam and Budapest on June 20, 2009 in a standard cabin:

1. AMA Waterways: $4,499
  2. Tauck: $5,890

Since Tauck includes tips and optional tours: If I add $10 per day for tips (total of $150) plus another $200 for optional tours, the total for AMA would be $4,499 + $150 + $200 = $4,849. This means the Tauck costs $1,041 more than AMA Waterways.

Plus, the Tauck standard cabins are only 150 sq. ft. compared to the 170 sq. ft. on the ships of AMA Waterways.

Can someone tell me why Tauck is worth so much more money?

You need someone who has sailed both to give you a good comparison. I've only sailed AMA Waterways.

Star - perhaps you're looking for something that isn't there. Many travel organizations offer tours that are very similar in cities, hotels etc. A few charge more then others for basically the same tour. Some market themselves as a bit more upscale and charge more. Many times it's all marketing. Sometimes the differences are very small and you may not even notice them. I've not been with either group but the feedback has been generally positive for both.

Star, There's no question that Tauck is more expensive than other companies. If you talk to people that have used Tauck, however, most say it is worth it. I disagree that policies are different for one part of the company vs another. I would also say that $10 a day is a low number for gratuities. Even if you double it, though you are still paying more. I think the real issue is what the quality of the overall experience is and with a few exceptions Tauck gets very high grades.

We've done four river cruises with Uniworld (Rhine, Danube, Egypt, China) and find them to be an excellent company. Their service was very good and meals were fine! I don't think you'll go wrong with them. I, like you, want the best value for my money, and we found Uniworld fulfilled that desire.

The Tauck river vessel maximun guest count is 118 on the new European River Vessels. That is a small er number than found on Uniworld, AMA, and other lines. The Tauck vessel I saw had bicycles availabe for guest to use.

The dining is open seating with wine and maybe beer. There is also alternative bistro dining in the Lido Bar.

There may be other included items such as airport transfers, even for non Tauck air. Also there are usually some "private" Tauck only tour or dining experience.

Hopefully a past Tauck Guest may post some pictures or be able to compare a Tauck River Cruise to another company.

Again, it is your money and your decision on which company you book.

Good luck.

MSEm

The Tauck river vessel maximun guest count is 118 on the new European River Vessels. That is a small er number than found on Uniworld, AMA, and other lines. The Tauck vessel I saw had bicycles availabe for guest to use.

The dining is open seating with wine and maybe beer. There is also alternative bistro dining in the Lido Bar.

There may be other included items such as airport transfers, even for non Tauck air. Also there are usually some "private" Tauck only tour or dining experience.

Hopefully a past Tauck Guest may post some pictures or be able to compare a Tauck River Cruise to another company.

Again, it is your money and your decision on which company you book.

Good luck.

MSEm

Bicycles are also available on AMA Waterways.

Wine and beer are free at dinner on AMA Waterways and Uniworld.

Tauck includes airport transfers for free ONLY if you purchase air from them. AMA Waterways does the same thing.

I still don't see what makes Tauck so much more expensive than AMA Waterways.

Star, I suggest you look at the gratuities thread on this board. Instead of $150 in tips the suggested rate for a 14 day cruise totals $532. This still does not bring Tauck down to other lines, but it closes the gap substantially. Once again, my feeling is that a smaller passenger count and other intangibles may make Tauck as good a deal as others. The only way to find out is to do it yourself.

Star, I suggest you look at the gratuities thread on this board. Instead of $150 in tips the suggested rate for a 14 day cruise totals $532.

I was using the $10 per day rule that most ocean cruises use. Are you saying that river cruises suggest $38 per day?

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I have travelled with Tauck on one land tour in Italy and one river cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest. Albeit pricey, Tauck is outstanding in all areas. Have travelled with other tour companies and ocean cruise lines and by far Tauck outshines them all in every aspect. This is not to say others are lackluster we enjoyed them all but if we were to compare food, service and inclusions, Tauck excells while others ranged from very good to excellent. Tauck is all inclusive in that there aren't any optional excursions, they also include at no extra cost "Tauck only" experiences on all tours and river cruises. Having said that, I think there are many fine companies out there, we certainly don't travel with Tauck exclusively and consider it a treat to do so.

Went to Prague after our river cruise and met some folks who just completed an AMA river cruise, they couldn't say enough good about it. We compared notes and we all had a comparable experience, theirs costing less dollars than ours even with their add-ons. Have studied the AMA brochures, did our comparisons and as the original poster notes, AMA is less costly. Our neighbors also enjoyed a fabulous experience with AMA. I believe this river cruise company is the closest to Tauck without the added expense. We're in the process of booking another river cruise, this time with AMA, am confident it will be lovely.

We arange our own air, in Italy Tauck did include our transfer at the end of the tour. Having an afternoon flight they didn't require us to leave the hotel in the early AM, rather they arranged for a cab to transfer us to the airport, a nice gesture on their part. On the river cruise transfers were not included so we made our own way to the airport.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Uniworld fan. I'll be going on my third trip in in October to southern France.

I really like their French press coffee during meals.

Their beds are hotel style beds. Not the couch converted style.

Their beds are high enough that you can slide your suitcases under leaving plenty of room in the cabin.

Their meals and presentation are a delight. Some people couldn't handle the presentation. The artwork put them off their food.

Uniworld usually has a couple of optional tours. One tour per day is included with the basic tour.

Dinner wine and bicycles are now included with all the tours.

I've liked Uniworld so much that I don't want to try another line.

Retired Cruiser09

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked the Prague to Budpest sailing with Tauck. Even though we purchased our own air travels and are arriving a day early to Prague, DH was assured that the transfer to the hotel would be included. Even though the cost was more, we chose Tauck because cousins of ours had traveled with them 12 times and the 13th has been booked. We travel on Aug. 7, and will let you know how it goes.

Judy and Jim

Archived