Golden Princess webcam

tradingspaces

I was just looking at the Golden webcam -- Does anyone know why the Golden is now heading to Lahaina instead of Kauai. I believe they should have been at Nawiliwili, Kauai by 8:00 a.m. today. It does look a bit rough. Did they have to miss this port because of weather?

The harbor at Nawiliwili is very small and narrow and it's a challenge for these large cruise ships even on a good day. Captain Nick Nash talked with us about it during the Captains Circle cocktail party on our cruise to Hawaii over the holidays. They had missed Kauai due to bad weather on the cruise right before ours. It does happen sometimes unfortunately and it looks like today is one of those days. If they have to miss it, they take a route that at least provides some very scenic cruising around the Na Pali coast, so hopefully those onboard right now are able to get some enjoyment out of that opportunity since it truly is some spectacular scenery.

The harbor at Nawiliwili is very small and narrow and it's a challenge for these large cruise ships even on a good day. Captain Nick Nash talked with us about it during the Captains Circle cocktail party on our cruise to Hawaii over the holidays. They had missed Kauai due to bad weather on the cruise right before ours. It does happen sometimes unfortunately and it looks like today is one of those days. If they have to miss it, they take a route that at least provides some very scenic cruising around the Na Pali coast, so hopefully those onboard right now are able to get some enjoyment out of that opportunity since it truly is some spectacular scenery.

Thanks karatemom--

That would probably explain it because it looked really rough this morning. I think that Maui was missed on either the Feb 4 - 18 cruise or the one before that. I have heard that the ocean around the islands can be very rough at this time of year. But I agree that cruising around the Na Pali coast would be spectacular. I am going on March 4th and will keep my fingers crossed that we make all our ports.

thanks karatemom--

that would probably explain it because it looked really rough this morning. I think that maui was missed on either the feb 4 - 18 cruise or the one before that. I have heard that the ocean around the islands can be very rough at this time of year. But i agree that cruising around the na pali coast would be spectacular. I am going on march 4th and will keep my fingers crossed that we make all our ports.

we too are keeping our fingers crossed. We never paused to think we would be missing ports because of weather. Oh well it makes for an adventure. Iam going now to the roll call to see if anyone else has some info.

From a post on another thread:

today – we woke up to lots of rocking and rolling and then the ship felt like it hit something hard several times. I looked at the ship facts on the TV and it said we were (and are still) in a gale, so needless to say, no Kauai. However, the captain did a very slow sail around the island and we got to see the beautiful NaPali coast while laying in a deck chair and even saw some whales so it was a GREAT day anyways.

From a post on another thread:

today – we woke up to lots of rocking and rolling and then the ship felt like it hit something hard several times. I looked at the ship facts on the TV and it said we were (and are still) in a gale, so needless to say, no Kauai. However, the captain did a very slow sail around the island and we got to see the beautiful NaPali coast while laying in a deck chair and even saw some whales so it was a GREAT day anyways.

Here is the Link to the Live from the Golden Cruise in Progress.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=931070&page=3

Archived