Dinner on the first night

DoubleDee2

I recall on my last cruises that we wore regular shorts and shirts to dinner on the first night, or whatever we came on board wearing. (Unless I am going senile and forgot that we just changed again after dinner or didnt eat in the dining room?). Am I mistaken in that this is 'ok'? No need to start wars here, just want the correct info so I can give everyone the correct 'heads up' in my group. Thanks!

IF your bags don't arrive, that is fine for the first night... although it seems that most people get their luggage prior to dinner... actually our luggage beat us to the cabin on our last cruise!! If you do have your luggage, you should dress appropriately IMHO... I don't recall seeing anyone in shorts last month, then again, we had late seating and everyone was dressed very nicely (with the exception of one table of yahoos) :D

I have always heard that there is no dress code on the first and last night for that very reason. Either your bags havent arrived yet or are packed and waiting by your door. On our very first cruise, I did wear shorts because it was quite warm and we didn't get our suitcases until long after dinner. I had no choice but to wear them to dinner but so did a lot of other people.

The easy solution is to pack a change of clothes in your carry on or to wear something aboard which fits the guidelines. Frankly, the cruiselines don't seem to care what you wear the first night so the choice is up to you.

I always pack a skirt for me, and dockers for DH and DS in our carryon. That way if luggage does not show up we have something appropriate to wear....just don't forget to keep an eye on the foot wear.....nothing says "didn't think ahead" like running shoes with a sundress!!! :D

Your attitude is what gives CCL it's undeserved reputation. If your bags arrive (ours always have) on time, dress appropriately. If not, eat on the Lido deck in shorts and t-shirt, plenty of choices of excellent food, without looking like a slob in the DR. But your answer probably is "I don't care", and that is more the pity.

Archived