Misty Fjords excursion, which one?

Wildlife Girl

We really want to take a Misty Fjords excursion while in Ketchikan, but there are many to choose from and I don't know which type is best.

Does anyone have an opinion? Is it best to go by boat or flightseeing? We don't want to spend a ton of money. Have you used a particular company that you really liked?

Any info. and opinions are gladly welcomed! :)

I'm going this summer for the first time, so I can't give you a first-hand account. From reading this board avidly for the past few months, I think it's fair to say the most highly-touted option is the flightseeing trip. I'd suggest you use the search feature do do a search on "Misty Fjords" and you'll have a wealth of comments to read through.

-- Eric

We really want to take a Misty Fjords excursion while in Ketchikan, but there are many to choose from and I don't know which type is best.

Does anyone have an opinion? Is it best to go by boat or flightseeing? We don't want to spend a ton of money. Have you used a particular company that you really liked?

Any info. and opinions are gladly welcomed! :)

I am about to go on my 4th Alaska cruise. On my last one I did the fly/cruise Misty Fjords through Princess--it was fabulous. I was going to do that again, with my wife/8 YO daughter (who didn't join me last time), on my upcoming Alaska cruise. However, at about $1050 for the 3 of us, we decided to go with a less expensive option. We booked a cruise both ways through the following website:

www.bestofalaskatravel.com

They had a price of $264 for the 3 of us (about $280 with tax). This is the same company/ship/tour that Princess uses, and about $200 less than Princess charges. Since I've done the fly/cruise before, I've done half this trip--and thought it was worthwhile.

If you have a chance, getting up in the air is a great way to experience what Alaska has to offer. I'd recommend a helicopter to a glacier in Juneau. Pricey, but worth it if you can afford the cost.

I've done Misty Fjords by water one time. For me, by air is definately superior and my preference. I always go flightseeing here, so have done a lot of the floatplane trips. All great to consider.

I highly recommend Southeast Aviation and Island Wings.

I've never seen the Misty Fjords by boat, but the floatplane trip I took was my most memorable excursion of any vacation I've ever taken. It was amazing. We used Carlin Air. We booked the trip from someone selling tickets at a kiosk on the dock. It was cheaper than booking on the ship.

Have fun!

We did the boat, though the flightseeing looked awesome. They land on the water and you climb out onto the platoons.

Either way, you will love Misty Fjords, so enjoy! It was one of my favorite parts of our trip.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are interested in going out by water here is my understanding of the difference between the Alaska Adventures tour and the Allen Marine tour. AK Adventures runs the "cruise & fly" tour - a group of guests take the boat out and another group takes the plane first then about 2.5 hours into the tour the boat and plane meet and swap guests. So if you choose to take the all boat tour you will get the same tour on the way back (in reverse order!) that you took on the way out. If you are looking to spend as much time on the water, don't mind the "double tour" and don't mind missing the time in town this would probably be the tour for you. This boat can hold up to 100 people.

My experience with the Allen Marine Misty Fjords tour is that it is a 4.25 hour all boat tour. This tour does not guarantee wildlife but they do often see harbor seals & eagles in a nest - plus on special occasions sea lions or whales. The boats are large catamarans that are very comfortable and stable (I get sea sick and was fine on the boat, though I did take my ginger capsules) with a heated cabin and open deck space. They have a narrator and binoculars on board. And the boat includes a couple of bathrooms and complimentary snacks & drinks. The great thing about booking the tour through the ship is you will be sure the ship will wait if you are late and you are backed by the quality & safety guarnatees of the cruiseline. The boat does hold upwards to 100 people - even though it is big enough that even close to full it does not feel crowded. Also, the "national monument" area is about 45 minutes outside Ketchikan so there is travel time getting to and from town. But the crew does a great job of filling the time with information, stories and on our boat we had a local native artist doing bead work who showed us her work and talked about her people. This tour is definatley run as a "round trip" experience so it does not repeat itself.

Hope this helps.

I am about to go on my 4th Alaska cruise. On my last one I did the fly/cruise Misty Fjords through Princess--it was fabulous. I was going to do that again, with my wife/8 YO daughter (who didn't join me last time), on my upcoming Alaska cruise. However, at about $1050 for the 3 of us, we decided to go with a less expensive option. We booked a cruise both ways through the following website:

www.bestofalaskatravel.com

They had a price of $264 for the 3 of us (about $280 with tax). This is the same company/ship/tour that Princess uses, and about $200 less than Princess charges. Since I've done the fly/cruise before, I've done half this trip--and thought it was worthwhile.

If you have a chance, getting up in the air is a great way to experience what Alaska has to offer. I'd recommend a helicopter to a glacier in Juneau. Pricey, but worth it if you can afford the cost.

jff50, I just checked that web site and the prices they quoted were $329 for adults and $289 for kids for the boat/fly tour. Expensive, but possibly worth it. However, I read the fine print and they said that in the event of inclement weather, it would just be a 5 hour boat tour (no refund for air). Paying $329 for a boat-only tour would not be worth it.

Anyone have this happen to them?

Bill

Flightseeing. Island Wings or Carlin Air

If you have time to do two excursions, go on the Crabfisherman's excursion. Those are the two best trips we ever had in Alaska.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived