Tidbits from my Quest cruise

livyordrem

I was on the Feb 14 sailing on the Quest and I have a couple odds and ends info that may be useful to someone! Not a review since I'm sure that anyone anticipating their trip have been reading those intently and could maybe use some practical advice instead!

The provided slippers are extremely slippery on the verandah and in the bathroom! I fell once and wanted to throw them overboard in order to resist the temptation to put them on again.

Although we did not have the required 25 signed up for a Meet and Greet and we were in fact sent an email saying it was denied, it showed up on the second day's schedule. The captain and the cruise director said that even if the company denies it, they have it on the ship because they really like to get out among the people.

Getting around by subways at all the ports was very easy. Signs were in English and the fares were cheap. Taxis were very cheap too but the drivers mostly did not speak English. A phrasebook that has the local language writing in it too was useful. Even when I slaughtered their language, they could read what I was trying to say. One other tip someone gave me was to take a digital photo of a landmark near where you started (i.e. the shuttle drop off point) and show it to a driver in order to get back there.

Chinese immigration was frustrating. We the passengers just had to wait patiently. We were late getting cleared off the ship in both Dalian (10 am instead of the expected 8:30 am) and Shanghai (arrived at 5 am but not cleared off until 9:45 or so). This could be a problem for independently organized tours.

The thallasotherapy pool was nicer than the hot tubs near the pool. The water was too chilly to go in the first three days when outside high temps were below freezing, but was nice the rest of the time. I only ran into two other people in it the whole two weeks. I think I may have been the only one who bought a pass. Since it was so lightly used, many times the chairs were not set up.

I hope everyone who has an upcoming cruise has a great time!

Sally

Hi Linda,

The pool cost $100 for one person, $175 for two for the duration of the cruise. BTW,none of the pools or hot tubs were ever closed due to the illness issue. I think some people may have it included with their cabins but I don't know who.

Hi Morven

Glad to see you made it home too. I still don't know if it is night or day though! It was great to meet you ond Uwe.

Sally

I find it strange that Azamara charge for the T pool, yet the speciality dining rooms are not surcharged - it seems such a contradiction...:rolleyes:

I can understand that they don't want it over-run with people, but I'd prefer a booking system if that was the case. I used the T pool on the Celebrity Infinity and loved it! It was free on that ship.

Does the Azamara one have those lovely beds on metal bars in the water?

Hi Sally !

Thank you for your informative review. For those sailing in that region, there should be some very useful information. Welcome Home !

I find it strange that Azamara charge for the T pool, yet the speciality dining rooms are not surcharged - it seems such a contradiction...:rolleyes:

I can understand that they don't want it over-run with people, but I'd prefer a booking system if that was the case. I used the T pool on the Celebrity Infinity and loved it! It was free on that ship.

Does the Azamara one have those lovely beds on metal bars in the water?

While the T-pool on AZ is much smaller then on the Infinity (I have been on its sister ship, Constellation), it does have the metal beds. I found it to be more like a really large hot tub. The T-pool area is restricted for the reason of keeping it quiet and sane. RS and PS passengers have free access to the area. We found it to be a lovely area and worth the price of admission.

Archived