Is there priority boarding for JS on all ships???

Just curious. I saw a post about priority boarding for JS somewhere and was wondering if that applied fleetwide.

We are sailing in our first JS on the 20th---Monarch. My travel agant never mentioned priority boarding to me so I figure I would ask the experts here.

TIA-

It seems to me that every time someone asks this question people respond with, yes, we had priority boarding. Now I've only done two cruises in jr suites and no, both times I was not allowed to join the priority boarding line and believe me, I asked (begged).:( For your info this was in Miami back in 2006 and in Vancouver 2008. So it's beyond me how this all works.

People tend to equate Priority Boarding with Priority Check-in, while they're two separate things. I'm not even sure they do Priority Boarding any more, but a JS should allow you to use the Priority Check-in. Although, with the Set Sail Pass, and other improvements, Priority Check-in doesn't have the value it used to.

We were in a junior suite on the Monarch in February and were directed to Priority Check In. We were thrilled, as there was a very long line to check in, and there was noone in the priority check in line. They told us which line to enter when we approached the line and they saw the JS on our "Set Sail" paper. As someone who has waited in the wrong line on occasion, my advice is for you to tell anyone asking you if they can help you that you are in a junior suite and are looking for priority check in. It's been our experience that some employees directing passengers in the terminal might not know all of the policies, and you could get different answers from different people, so it helps if you can "help them help you." Junior suites also had access to priority check in on the Enchantment and Navigator in Fort Lauderdale. Have a great cruise!

You're right, Mark there is a difference between priority boarding and check-in, I had to sit back and think about this for a minute. In Miami, we checked in very quickly, maybe it was a priority check-in for suites. However, boarding was another story. Suites, Grand and above and Diamond members were herded to one area, us common folk, JS and below were herded to another line and they absolutely but very nicely told us we were in the right line. The suite line was allowed on first.

In Vancouver on our Alaskan cruise last year at Ballantyne Pier there was a definite line for suites and one for others. We were first directed to the priority line, waited ten minutes to be told no, this is the wrong line, get in the other line. We then waited over an hour to check in and there was just a small wait at the priority line.

We are headed to San Juan in May for a cruise on the AOS and I hear that is a real zoo!

My luck with my two cruises, very, very slow getting on board so now I just expect it!:p

It depends on the port. In Seattle last year, they were very clear that priority check in and priority boarding were only for Grand Suites and higher and Platinum and higher. They were making people in junior suites get out of the suite line and go to the regular line.

We were just on Monarch last week, and got priority check-in, although we didn't need it (we checked in around 11:00AM, and there was no one in line...). When we went to board the ship, we were shuttled to the end of a line, behind what they said were Diamond and Platinum members (although after speaking with the nice folks in line in front of us, it was just the 'regular' boarding line...). Actually, we weren't very pleased with the woman that directed us to the line - we were happy to wait on line, but she pretty much accosted us when we walked to the 'gate'.

The check-in woman directed us to the 'gate', and another worker embarrassed us by yelling at us for following her directions... Jeez... Not such a good experience at Port Canaveral - but an absolutely FABULOUS cruise! LOVED Monarch - we're 'Freedom class' cruisers, and thought we wouldn't like the smaller ship as much, but we absolutely loved it. What a great ship and a great crew! Have a great time!!

It seems to me that every time someone asks this question people respond with, yes, we had priority boarding. Now I've only done two cruises in jr suites and no, both times I was not allowed to join the priority boarding line and believe me, I asked (begged).:( For your info this was in Miami back in 2006 and in Vancouver 2008. So it's beyond me how this all works.

I was on the Serenade in May, 2008 out of Vancouver also and they didn't even have a priority line at all for the sailing I was on.

Was not only disappointing but a tad uncomfortable for me as I am mobility challenged & standing for 1+ hrs in line was uncomfortable to say the least.. Being told later by RC the mistake (no priority line) was made by the Pier authority??? & I shld have faked it and asked for a wheelchair to get on quicker really annoyed me..

U are so right re: 'slow' in Van at Ballantyne Pier... I noticed the problem seemed to be the staff directing folks to the RC booths..The lady at the head of the line didn't seem to have a clue how to do it.

As I am going again this May, I sure hope at least the staff has improved...not just for my sake but for all the pax..

Hope your lovely cats are doing well!!

Have happy cruising! :)

Archived