Costa Maya Safe?

haveluggagewilltravel

Just went Thursday of this week on the Carnival Dream and loved it. Highly recommend the short taxi drive to Tropicante for good beach with reasonably priced food and drinks from expat Steve. Thanks Steve if you read this...Rob

• 5 years later...
The information comes from the United States Travel Alert issued February 20, 2009. Texas full time paid military forces are now forbidden to go to Mexico for any reason without prior approval. The crime has escalated in Mexico and is no longer just along the border although that continues to be a real problem. The last update was valid through April 4, 2009 when they will issue new information. The US state department alert is through August 2009. There are plenty of posts about tourists encountering problems inside Mexico, not just the border. I for one would not take a private excursion and am planning on cancelling my Chaccoben tour.

I don't think the State Department would issue an alert (not a warning) without just cause.

Not true Costa Maya is not on the list more non mexicans ex-pats from Europe live there. Population is only 500. Florida has tons of murders Orlando is full of violent crime were is the travel alert for Florida.

Not true Costa Maya is not on the list more non mexicans ex-pats from Europe live there. Population is only 500. Florida has tons of murders Orlando is full of violent crime were is the travel alert for Florida.
You responded to a post from 2009. The information was factual at that time.