QM2 only 20% booked for May 31,2009 (as of March 2) - is this low % usual?

Devon Bloke

On the Cunard roll calls for May 31,2009 QM2 Transatlantic – eastbound (http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=897811&page=2) a couple of posters have noted that the ship is only just over 20% booked according to Cunard's own booking agent as of March 02.

I wondered if the more experienced posters (particularly for the QM2) on this discussion site could make any observations on this.

(a) Would I be right in thinking that this seems rather a low percentage at this time, i.e. just under 12 weeks away? Or is this usual?

(b) If the number of passengers remains low, does this mean a better chance of being upgraded? (I note today on my travel agent’s web site that they are now offering “FREE upgrade from Inside to Premium Balcony”)

© If the number of passengers is going to be particularly low, do Cunard reduce the numbers of staff? Or will there still be same establishment of staff as for a fully booked voyage?

(d) I would assume with a low number of passengers (unless Cunard reduce staff numbers), that the overall service will be even better than it already is as the staff have less people to deal with.

(e) Given the vastness of the QM2 and the fact that many people who have travelled on her, comment that it never feels crowded...if there are such low numbers will it feel rather empty and lacking in atmosphere?

At the end of the day, if it means that low passenger numbers means even better and attentive service... and the opportunity to be upgraded to a slightly better state room...then of course I’d be even happier about travelling on the QM2 than I am already!

Thoughts, comments, and observations gratefully received.

I cannot imagine that is a true number for if it were there would be a huge amount of discounting and advertising and deals with travel agents to get the ship full. Don't assume that a ship half full is a good event in terms of getting better service. The crew will be very unhappy since they will not be getting their normal tips which are such an important part of their compensation. Also, from my perspective, there is nothing more depressing than going into an empty dining room or to a show that is only 25 % full... I don't like an overcrowded ship but give me a ship 80 to 90% full anytime to get great service and the cruise ambiance that you would expect...

I cannot imagine that is a true number for if it were there would be a huge amount of discounting and advertising and deals with travel agents to get the ship full.

It will be interesting to see if that does occur over the coming weeks

Don't assume that a ship half full is a good event in terms of getting better service. The crew will be very unhappy since they will not be getting their normal tips which are such an important part of their compensation.

That is an interesting observation - but surely you do not mean that they are less likely to provide good service?

Also, from my perspective, there is nothing more depressing than going into an empty dining room or to a show that is only 25 % full... I don't like an overcrowded ship but give me a ship 80 to 90% full anytime to get great service and the cruise ambiance that you would expect...

I agree with your final point. Though I have not been on a cruise or voyage before, I can appreciate it from having dined in good quality but barely full hotel restaurants. However, let's take a "glass is half full" perspective...if the company at the table, the food and the service all equally good then that can go a long way to having a great time in even the most empty of dining areas!

Hi Devon Bloke,

I am on the same TA as yourself and partner and looking forward to meeting you both at the Commodore Club :)

I had quite a bit of difficulty getting a midship 'in hull' cabin on either deck 5 or 6 when we booked 3 weeks ago and so opted to drop to deck 4 rather than take a cabin that was very aft or forward of the ship. Even then, I couldn't get as midship as I would have liked, but settled for he best I could get, which was Cabin 4067.

Hopefully we can take this as an indicator that things may not be quite as thin as 20% - unless of course all 20% of us are opting for the same decks & cabin types that is???:D

Fingers crossed for a great experience either way

Kindest regards

Elizabeth

What an unhelpful post:mad:

The post was my opinion only and refers to the multiples of persons who are not interested in 4 oversize suitcases of stuff they do not need but take along to impress others. It doesn't really impress anyone.

:)

Simply stated, the QE's etc. are big at "putting on the dog" and it is probably going to do them in, but let's hope I am wrong.

Anyhow, just my opinion, guess I can have that. :D

Beagle2

Hi Devon Bloke,

I am on the same TA as yourself and partner and looking forward to meeting you both at the Commodore Club :)

I had quite a bit of difficulty getting a midship 'in hull' cabin on either deck 5 or 6 when we booked 3 weeks ago and so opted to drop to deck 4 rather than take a cabin that was very aft or forward of the ship. Even then, I couldn't get as midship as I would have liked, but settled for he best I could get, which was Cabin 4067.

Hopefully we can take this as an indicator that things may not be quite as thin as 20% - unless of course all 20% of us are opting for the same decks & cabin types that is???:D

Fingers crossed for a great experience either way

Kindest regards

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

As you say, if you have had difficult getting the cabin of your choice, it could well be an indicator that the passenger numbers are rather higher than 20%. But as you say it could be that we are all being put midships! Now what is the collective noun for that? "A Collection of Cruisers"..."A Coagulation of Cruisers"?... or maybe "A Validation of Voyagers" or a "A Victory of Voyagers". Who knows...who cares?:rolleyes: Anyway, I too am looking forward to meeting you in the Commodore. I think it is going to be the evening haunt on the voyage for Joe and I!

Cheers

Andy

The post was my opinion only and refers to the multiples of persons who are not interested in 4 oversize suitcases of stuff they do not need but take along to impress others. It doesn't really impress anyone.

Simply stated, the QE's etc. are big at "putting on the dog" and it is probably going to do them in, but let's hope I am wrong.

Beagle2

Have you sailed Cunard? If my Jan sailing on QM2 that was sold out is any indication, Cunard is not doing themselves in and the people that I saw were dressed to the nines. There are many of us who enjoy the formality--if you don't that's fine. Spend your money elsewhere. And I've never traveled with more than one 21" and one 26" suitcase even for 14 days (10 of them formal) on QE2. Maybe you need lessons in packing!

Andy, you and Joe will have an absolute ball I assure you!

Thankfully, I never came across the likes of 'Beagle 2' on the QM2 as everyone was delightful & very well mannered;)

As for the formality of our crossing, yes it was delightfully so and everyone made a real effort to rise to the occassion! However, some passengers wore designer gear & some wore M & S, some packed that gear in Louise Vitton & some in tatty Antler, some drank champers and some real ale and you know what ????.... no one cared diddly squat, because we all had 'one love' in common and we all had the time of our lives crossing on her!

Enjoy

Beagle2

Beagle 2,

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. And so to, am I. Like many others, my partner and I, have made a conscious purchasing choice to sail on a liner that has such standards and facilities. But we also enjoy doing the razzmatazz informality of Disney World or sitting in our local pub enjoying a pint...in other words, like many others we’re just down to earth people who also appreciate the nicer things in life. You use the phrase “putting on the dog” – as in being flashy, showy etc. If this is your assessment of a service such as Cunard, then so be it. Cunard shall obviously not be having your custom and we shall be denied the pleasure of your company at dinner or anywhere else on the Queen Mary 2.

I find your comments that you made in the Holland Line section most illuminating in your response to The demise of formal night (December 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM)

I quote...

We travel light. It is nice, very nice. We each have a 20 inch carry on, no checking baggage, no waiting for bags, no luggage hassel at getting off, first off the ship. We can go for a month that way.

Also, we take clothes we are not crazy about. At the end, we leave them, the crew guys are poor, very poor, they will use the shoes, the clothes no matter what. They can even use an old suitcase.

Never check a bag and never wear a tux. Slax and a light sport coat, maybe a nice shirt. That is it. So often, workers and people want to know "where is your baggage". We have it right there.

So many cruisers at the last night, at dinner table, people laughing, "I have to go pack all the clothes I did not wear". How sad.

We can pack in 5 minutes, try it, you may like it

I am sure that the cabin stewards on the QM2 will be bereft at being denied the pleasure of your company, your clothes and your luggage too.

Kind regards, Andy

The "elegant" Cunards are in my opinion:

Doing themselves in with their high and mighty pompousness. They will either wise up or go under someday.

Far to snooty for the average person.

Don't go on Cunard, suggestion, go on Princess, Celebrity, Holland American and others.

If you go on Cunard, be sure to take 25+ sets of formal clothes to keep up with the clothes horses. Don't forget your formal pajamas. :confused:

Beagle2

Please, please, please make your mortgage payment this month.

I will step up here and say I was the one who posted about the low ship occupancy for the May 31st TA. When I was completing my final arrangements with Cunard I asked the sales representative on the other end of the phone "How full is the ship?" Their reply was "Pretty low just over 20% or so."

It is very possible the rep was just tossing out a number to answer me quickly and it could very well be inaccurate. There is no way for most of us to verify this type of information other than by asking the line for it. A similar call could result in a different number entirely. If it is not accurate I am sorry but it is the information I was given. I didn't see a reason to verify it.

'Brit abroad' notes that they were having difficulty getting a specific type of cabin which indicates that the numbers must be higher. I concur. The January Caribbean cruises were booked solid I know, I tried to book one in late December.

If the numbers are inaccurate, and I hope they are because of the possible ramifications, it is my fault for putting them out there. I apologize for not double-checking the figures before posting if they are wrong. :o

I am looking forward to meeting you all aboard an almost full QM2. I'll be easy to find in the Commodore as my foot will be in my mouth.:)

Apologetically yours

Adam

However, some passengers wore designer gear & some wore M & S, some packed that gear in Louise Vitton & some in tatty Antler, some drank champers and some real ale and you know what ????.... no one cared diddly squat,

I'll be on the QV in April with me M&S posh frock and mix'n'match luggage, and don't care! Wouldn't recognise a designer dress or case if I saw it (or a fake!) and each to their own. So long as we have FUN!!!!!!

Can't wait! :D:D:D

Susan

I will step up here and say I was the one who posted about the low ship occupancy for the May 31st TA. When I was completing my final arrangements with Cunard I asked the sales representative on the other end of the phone "How full is the ship?" Their reply was "Pretty low just over 20% or so."

It is very possible the rep was just tossing out a number to answer me quickly and it could very well be inaccurate. There is no way for most of us to verify this type of information other than by asking the line for it. A similar call could result in a different number entirely. If it is not accurate I am sorry but it is the information I was given. I didn't see a reason to verify it.

'Brit abroad' notes that they were having difficulty getting a specific type of cabin which indicates that the numbers must be higher. I concur. The January Caribbean cruises were booked solid I know, I tried to book one in late December.

If the numbers are inaccurate, and I hope they are because of the possible ramifications, it is my fault for putting them out there. I apologize for not double-checking the figures before posting if they are wrong. :o

I am looking forward to meeting you all aboard an almost full QM2. I'll be easy to find in the Commodore as my foot will be in my mouth.:)

Apologetically yours

Adam

Adam,

You haven't put your foot in it at all and have nothing to be apologetic for. You were only going on the basis of the information that a rep gave you. I doubt if you have done the Cunard Combined Course in Mind Reading, Telepathy and Crystal Ball Gazing (something I am expected to have done here as an employee in the UK Fire Service!), so you were only making a comment based on the facts available to you. As you can see it's started an interesting discussion - this is a discussion forum after all. Defintion of discussion = "to talk over" "investigate by reasoning" and forum = "a medium for public debate". So there you go mate...job done!

As regards the stance of "my foot will be in my mouth" ...can I suggest that a far better (and much more comfortable) position would be "hand on glass heading towards mouth"!

Cheers

Andy

I'll be on the QV in April with me M&S posh frock and mix'n'match luggage, and don't care! Wouldn't recognise a designer dress or case if I saw it (or a fake!) and each to their own. So long as we have FUN!!!!!!

Can't wait! :D:D:D

Susan

Susan - a breath of fesh air :) (and reality for so many travellers) thank you!

The May 31st ta sailing is quite full, thank you... with most categories showing less than 4 cabin assignments available... or no assignments available.. just guarantees.

Perhaps bookings for this voyage have increased since the Cunard rep. said "20%." On the week-end I had a quick look at availability through Cunard's Website and I noticed that several categories were available on a guarantee basis only. A few other categories offered only three choices of stateroom and not the usual six.

I realise M&S is often joked about (and sadly they closed up here in Canada a few years ago) but I recall they offered good quality at reasonable prices - both in men's and women's clothes. In the Toronto area they started a trend in men's wear: trousers with the legs already hemmed and also the ability to buy an off-the-rack suit with jacket and trousers selected separately - a big help for people whose chest and waste sizes don't fit the average range.

One other comment: I don't understand why some men have such an aversion to bringing along a dinner jacket. I have friends who cruise on Holland America at least once a year. Both men (they don't know each other) say they will not bring a DJ because it takes up too much room in their luggage, yet they bring a dark suit for the formal nights. For packing purposes I see no difference between the two types of suits. In the old days when ocean liners offered First Class and Tourist, I brought a DJ when travelling in the former and a dark suit for the latter. Similarly, formal shirts and a business shirts take up the same space in my one piece of luggage. My wife buys her formal wear with packing in mind.

According to a website that shows you all bookable cabins, the 31 May certainly has a LOT more cabins available in almost ALL categories (23) compared to the 26 September crossing we are booked on: only a few cabins in 7 categories!

Maybe the difference stems from Eastbound vs Westbound?

According to a website that shows you all bookable cabins, the 31 May certainly has a LOT more cabins available in almost ALL categories (23) compared to the 26 September crossing we are booked on: only a few cabins in 7 categories!

Maybe the difference stems from Eastbound vs Westbound?

First of all, let me re-assure you that this is an Eastbound crossing...

Secondly, if Babette says that "The May 31st ta sailing is quite full, thank you... with most categories showing less than 4 cabin assignments available... or no assignments available.. just guarantees. " I'll trust her before I trust some website that may, or may not, have been updated to correctly reflect what's in the Cunard reservations system... ;)

Hey, the fabulous Nome the Plume is back on line! Great to see you on here again!

Normally every cruise line will do everything to fill up the ship whenever possible. This means good fares however sometimes the public might not be that pleasant. Considering the bad press Ventura has gotten over the Christmas period. They will not allow their on board revenue to go down too.

Just returned from a fantastic RSVP charter on the Eurodam. I suppose they must have had the largest ever bar revenue ever on there!

Reint

Hello all, it seems this question has been put to bed. Thank you for looking further into the numbers and for your support Elizabeth and Andy. :) I was thinking I had made a twit out of myself but I can forgo the search for flavoured foot powder and concentrate on the ever important right arm-to-mouth curls.

Fair weather sailing to you all mates!

Adam

Hey, got the Brit with thin skin going, did not mean to confuse anyone with facts.

Sorry about that

Beagle2 :D

I would strongly suggest that you get your facts correct. And I'm not a Brit nor do I have thin skin. Don't you have somewhere else to spread your misinformation?

Hello all, it seems this question has been put to bed. Thank you for looking further into the numbers and for your support Elizabeth and Andy. :) I was thinking I had made a twit out of myself but I can forgo the search for flavoured foot powder and concentrate on the ever important right arm-to-mouth curls.

Fair weather sailing to you all mates!

Adam

Enjoy your voyage--QM2 is a lovely ship!:)

Archived