Glacier Point/Davidson Glacier excursion at Skagway

lawahoo2001

Hi, folks. Thanks for always being an endless source of fabulous info for my upcoming Alaskan cruise. Based on the advice of folks on this board, for Skagway I think we will likely be booking the Glacier Point Wildnerness Safari, which includes a canoe adventure to Davidson glacier. Has anyone ever booked this tour outside of the cruise ships? I've googled the tour and can only find a link to the one offered directly by Princess (see below). It's a pricey tour ($254 pp), so it would great if we could save some $ and book directly with the tour company.

http://glacierpointsafari.com/princess

This seems to be the tour offered by M&M Tours, http://www.skagwayadventures.com @ $199

I'm still confused! Two different people quoted me two different sites for organising this tour but still sort of suggesting this is a ship contracted tour. Price is different though. What's the catch? :confused:

Another question, assuming this is indeed a cruise ship contracted tour, do i need to book in advance? Any chances of the tour being fully booked?

Here is the site for the safari trip we took.

http://www.raftalaska.com/glacierpoint.php

Bruce, thanks for the link. Here is a quote from one of your previous posts about this excursion:

"Hi,

Restroom facilities are at the staging area where you pick up life vest. Was told by outfitter of this trip that the "restrooms are one step up from porta johns and a step down from modern flushers." Going to check it out in June!

Bruce"

So.............what were the restroom opportunities?

Many thanks for your help.

Karen

Bruce, thanks for the link. Here is a quote from one of your previous posts about this excursion:

"Hi,

Restroom facilities are at the staging area where you pick up life vest. Was told by outfitter of this trip that the "restrooms are one step up from porta johns and a step down from modern flushers." Going to check it out in June!

Bruce"

So.............what were the restroom opportunities?

Many thanks for your help.

Karen

Has been 2 years since we did this excursion, but I think there was a restroom on the boat to and from glacier and pit toilets at the staging area. Enjoyed the excursion, but lots of mosquitoes at staging area in mid-June. Got close to the glacier for some good photos.

Has been 2 years since we did this excursion, but I think there was a restroom on the boat to and from glacier and pit toilets at the staging area. Enjoyed the excursion, but lots of mosquitoes at staging area in mid-June. Got close to the glacier for some good photos.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

Karen

• 1 year later...
is the M&M tours just as good as the one that is through your ship only?

this is a big difference in price:eek:

Which is the tour through M&M? The entry point used at Glacier Point is owned by the tour company that runs the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari.

I thought the tour was good, you get a little taste of everything. We saw some sealife on the boat ride over to Glacier Point (~1 hour each way to/from Skagway), very short hike (1/4 mile), and a nice canoe trip to the glacier. It was nice to get fairly close to the glacier, but when you get right next to it the whole front section is covered by dirt from a landslide a couple years ago.

It is pricey, like all Alaskan excursions, but it seemed like a good value considering the tour is 6.5 hours and you get a range of experiences.

My pictures from the tour are towards the end of this photo album:

http://flickr.com/gp/nemoagility/2P1U6L

is the M&M tours just as good as the one that is through your ship only?

this is a big difference in price:eek:

Oh I know what you're talking about :) When I originally wanted to book this tour, I found it on the M&M web site. It came up in a Google search, but wasn't listed on the M&M web site menu. So I think it was something they used to offer, but no longer do. I contacted M&M to double check and they sent this message:

"We do not prearrange this tour. You can call them direct; 1(907)766-2491. The company name is Chilkat Guides. Hope this helps."

I looked up the Chilkat web site which says the tour is only available through the cruise. So I ended up booking through my ship.

thanks for your help

yes I contacted M&M and they told they only do same day tours. So I am thinking that if I really want to do this that I better book through ship or else I may not get to go, the difference is about 40 a person.

Have been reading a lot of reviews on this and still thinking this is a lot of money but like it has been said more then once Alaskan excursions ARE expensive. ;)

• 6 months later...
IT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE WHOLE TRIP!!!!

we booked it through our ship, DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS EXCURSION ;)

I am glad you found my post and responded. Thanks so much!!! If you don't mind my asking, what else did you do on your trip, so I can get an idea of what other activities you are comparing this one to. Thanks so much.

Archived