Westerdam SZ cabin

cruisingbyu

Hello everyone. I just booked my first HAL cruise and went with a SZ (guarantee) cabin on the Westerdam for next month, and was wondering if anyone has ever been in this cabin and can give me information regarding it? On the HAL site it looks like there are only two SZ cabins on the ship and they appear to be a nice size but since I am new to cruising I don't really know what to look for. Does anyone happen to have any pictures of these cabins (or maybe something similar)? And can anyone tell me if there are any perks to being in this type of suite? Thanks for any help!

Thanks. Yes it is a SZ guarantee, the travel agent told me that meant I am guaranteed that suite but may get a better one(?). The agent I booked the cruise with has never been on a cruise and is a fairly new travel agent so she didn't give me a lot of insight into the room or really what perks come with the suite. That's why I was hoping some people on here may be able to tell me a little more:).

From the HAL website:

Superior Suite

Exclusively available on Vista Class ships, Superior Suites offer 2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling window/sliding glass door leading to your personal verandah.

Category: SS, SY, SZ 389 sq. ft. with verandah

Superior Suites include all the Verandah amenities, plus:

Personalized cruise stationery

Elegant bathrobe for use on your cruise

Fresh flowers and fruit assortment

Oversized bath towels

A selection of pillows (firm, medium and soft) are presented on each bed for the

guests' enjoyment.

Luxurious beds featuring Sealy� Premium Euro-Top mattresses and finely woven

cotton linens

A no-host mini-bar for easy entertaining in your suite

DVD or VCR player and the use of an extensive DVD or VHS tape library

24-HOUR TELEPHONE CONCIERGE - Service available via special dedicated "At Your Service"

CruisinJudy is right ... you may, of course, get the SZ you bought. But it's far more likely you'll be assigned one of the numerous SY or SS cabins. Depending on many factors, including the mood of the upgrade fairy, you may even be assigned a Deluxe Verandah Suite of SC, SB, SA, which has more suite amenities than the Superior Verandah Suites of SZ, SY, SS.

In any event, plese keep us posted on what your eventual assignment is. Inquiring minds want to know ... lol..

Bon Voyage, and welcome to the HAL board...

Thanks everyone for the information! cp556 I will definitely post what class they end up giving me. The travel agent said to call her back a week before the cruise to find out my room assignment, though she said they might not give it to me until I arrive at the pier. After looking through the posts on this board I am so excited to experience HAL!

Thanks, cruisingbyu ...

You can also keep an eye on your cabin assignment by going to www.hollandamerica.com and proceeding thru the online registration (FOR BOOKED GUESTS, then ONLINE CHECKIN). Right now your cabin will probably show as GUAR, but when it's assigned the # will appear (although it is subject to change again, which happens but rarely).

By doing this you won't have to wait till you get in touch with the agent ...

After you're really done the online checkin, you can continue back to the site and just close out once you see if the cabin # is there yet....

Hope that makes sense....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi can anyone tell me please I am planning to book SY cabin on zuiderdam to Panama cruise this December is it a good size cabin for 3 of us my DH and our 10 year old girl. And were are the best location for SY on zuiderdam ?:confused:

also is there any benefits to SY ? we had been to VF on Noordam before and founded bit crowded for 3 so this time we are waiting for the prices to drop to book SY hope to hear some information

hoping to hear from you soon:)

Thanks, cruisingbyu ...

You can also keep an eye on your cabin assignment by going to www.hollandamerica.com and proceeding thru the online registration (FOR BOOKED GUESTS, then ONLINE CHECKIN). Right now your cabin will probably show as GUAR, but when it's assigned the # will appear (although it is subject to change again, which happens but rarely).

By doing this you won't have to wait till you get in touch with the agent ...

After you're really done the online checkin, you can continue back to the site and just close out once you see if the cabin # is there yet....

Hope that makes sense....

Well for anyone who was curious before about my room assignment I don't really have an update as it still says I am in a GUAR room. So I have a question for anyone out there... since you have to complete online checkin 3 days prior does that mean after three days prior I will not be able to go in and check if I have been given a room assignment? My cruise is this Sunday so I am nervous I will be "shut out" of the HAL site.

Well for anyone who was curious before about my room assignment I don't really have an update as it still says I am in a GUAR room. So I have a question for anyone out there... since you have to complete online checkin 3 days prior does that mean after three days prior I will not be able to go in and check if I have been given a room assignment? My cruise is this Sunday so I am nervous I will be "shut out" of the HAL site.

On our recent cruise, we had folks getting room assignments up to the last minute but as to checking for it online, I am not sure. If you do end up in an SZ, well, we just had 6052 on Westerdam and it was a fantastic room. Spacious and the balcony was so wonderful. We ate breakfast on it everyday. Plenty of space to relax. I could cruise anywhere in that stateroom and we may try to get it again in future. Happy cruising!!

Edited by fatcat04

No you will not be "shut out". And keep in mind that it can change all the way up to at the pier. We had an SY GUAR and were assigned an SS about a week out and then the night before they moved us to an SA. :)

Good Luck

No you will not be "shut out". And keep in mind that it can change all the way up to at the pier. We had an SY GUAR and were assigned an SS about a week out and then the night before they moved us to an SA.

What if you don't want to be moved, can they move you without your permission?

What if you don't want to be moved, can they move you without your permission?

If you book a guarantee, permission is implicit in that booking.

If you book a specific cabin, permission may, or may not, have been granted. In the case of a specific cabin, the TA should have asked if you wanted your booking noted "no upgrades". If that was done, then HAL is not supposed to change your cabin.

If the booking was not so noted, then you can be moved.

Hi there....hope you get a great cabin with your guarantee sz. I was chicken to do that. I wonder about upgrading, too??? I am in an sy suite on westerdam 4/12. Does anyone know if it is worthwhile to ask at check-in if i can get an upgrade? Does anyone know how to go about getting upgrades in general?hope to hear back from you all....

• 7 years later...

what cabin did you actually get?