Oosterdam - March 16 Was the shuttle launch visible from the ship?

aloha43

Hello all,

My mom is on the Oosterdam right now....and I didn't get to go! :mad:

Ok, enough of my whining....

Last night, at 7:43 pm Eastern time, NASA launched a space shuttle from Florida! The Oosterdam was in the Bahamas a few hours earlier than lift off. Seems it should have been visible if looking West.

Did anyone see it? I was just curious if the captain let everyone know that it was happening.

Yes I read over on another board that a person who is reporting LIVE said that YES she saw the launch :)

Liz who is reporting Live wrote this about it

....We DID see the Shuttle Launch icon_lol.gif First a streak in the dark sky and then a strange white cloud with light behind it???

Pictures of the streak didn't come out well, but the white cloud shows up very well icon_lol.gif

Yes I read over on another board that a person who is reporting LIVE said that YES she saw the launch :)

....We DID see the Shuttle Launch icon_lol.gif First a streak in the dark sky and then a strange white cloud with light behind it???

Pictures of the streak didn't come out well, but the white cloud shows up very well icon_lol.gif

Thank you!:D

Do you happen to know where I can find the link to Liz?

Hi Lisa,

Did they say how the trip is or going, did they get many at the meet & greet?

Bruce

We DID see the Shuttle Launch icon_lol.gif First a streak in the dark sky and then a strange white cloud with light behind it???

Hmmm ... I wonder what she saw. From our backyard (25 miles almost due south of the launch pad) we saw a normal contrail. Because of the time of the evening, the bottom third was in the dusk, the middle third was a deep orange, and the top third was in the bright sunlight. I took some pics, but they didn't do justice to what it really looked like. :(

Archived