NCL Sun Alaska Summer 09 Questions

BIGDADDY2587

few questions for you knowledgeable folks

booked an Alaska cruise this august

our first cruise with NCL

few questions

1) we are arriving in Vancouver at 11 30am is that enough time to comfortably get to the ship?

2) then we were told by our travel agent that some restaurants are extra pay, how do we find out which ones are included in the price...? i looked on the ncl website but couldn't find the info

3) lastly what type of crowd can we expect

goin with family and my friend, we are both 22 so hopefully there will be others around our age since it is the middle of summer

thanks for your help

few questions for you knowledgeable folks

booked an Alaska cruise this august

our first cruise with NCL

few questions

1) we are arriving in Vancouver at 11 30am is that enough time to comfortably get to the ship?

2) then we were told by our travel agent that some restaurants are extra pay, how do we find out which ones are included in the price...? i looked on the ncl website but couldn't find the info

3) lastly what type of crowd can we expect

goin with family and my friend, we are both 22 so hopefully there will be others around our age since it is the middle of summer

thanks for your help

If the plane is on time, leaving say the E. Coast early am. with no stops on the way, yes, it will be enough time. But it never hurts to go a day early and SEE Vancouver.

We did a tour the morning of sailaway that was fantastic, and took us right to the ship, as well. We went to Granville Island, up to the top of a building to see the skyline ( w/a little time for souvenir shopping), Stanley Park with a couple of stops for photos etc. They picked us up right at our hotel, too. Nothing simpler.

What's more, they had people going to the 2 ports (Ballantine and Canada Place ) in separate vans, so you got to meet some people on your sailing before you sailed. That was really nice, too, to call some people by name after you'd boarded. And if you're up to it, there is an afternoon tour the day of arrival that will take you out to the tram etc. which sounded good. We did not do that one. Decided we were too tired from the flight, but wish we had.

If your flight arrives, then yes, you should have no problem getting to the ship. By cab is most efficient, most take credit cards. About in the $35+++ range.

Yes, most all the alternative restaurants are extra fees. Except, buffet, main dining room, Blue Lagoon (if on that ship??) All other's are extra. There may be some 2 for 1 specials at limited times, check the newsletter which is put in your cabin daily.

The bulk of passengers, overall are middle aged and above, but all ages sailing, just not in the demographics of the Caribbean.

As only a suggestion, this cruise is NOT likely to have any glacier viewing. In my opinion a "must do" tour is the add on Tracy Arm jetboat. FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship. IF glacier viewing is a priority, then you need to look at booking some type of tour for this.

I just got off the Sun 3 weeks ago. Here is what the restaurant situation was like:

Buffet is free

Great outdoors is free - in the afternoon good burgers and good polish sausage and liked the hot and crispy French fries

Seven Seas main dining is free

Four Seasons main dining is free

Pacific Heights is free but reservations accepted

Sports Bar serves food in the evening is free - good fish and chips and wings

Las Ramblas Tapas Bar is free - many like it to have snacks and drinks before dinner or as a light meal.

Il Adagio Italian is $10 pp and reservations accepted - we loved it. Great pizza

The Le Bistro French is $15 pp and reservations accepted. Great mushroom soup and creme brûlée

Steakhouse is $20 pp and reservations accepted

Tepenyaki is $25 pp and reservations accepted and can fill up only seats 12

In the same area is the Sushi Bar which is $15 for all you can eat sushi

There's room service - no charge - but tip is not included in daily service charge

They will have a jazz brunch probably. It is $15 and by reservation.

They have a waffle station in Pacific Heights in the morning - free.

They have deli sandwiches in Las Ramblas at lunch - free.

They has one Chocoholic buffet at 10:30 pm - free.

I think this is it - you will have a lot of culinary options.

I just got off the Sun 3 weeks ago. Here is what the restaurant situation was like:

Buffet is free

Great outdoors is free - in the afternoon good burgers and good polish sausage and liked the hot and crispy French fries

Seven Seas main dining is free

Four Seasons main dining is free

Pacific Heights is free but reservations accepted

Sports Bar serves food in the evening is free - good fish and chips and wings

Las Ramblas Tapas Bar is free - many like it to have snacks and drinks before dinner or as a light meal.

Il Adagio Italian is $10 pp and reservations accepted - we loved it. Great pizza

The Le Bistro French is $15 pp and reservations accepted. Great mushroom soup and creme brûlée

Steakhouse is $20 pp and reservations accepted

Tepenyaki is $25 pp and reservations accepted and can fill up only seats 12

In the same area is the Sushi Bar which is $15 for all you can eat sushi

There's room service - no charge - but tip is not included in daily service charge

They will have a jazz brunch probably. It is $15 and by reservation.

They have a waffle station in Pacific Heights in the morning - free.

They have deli sandwiches in Las Ramblas at lunch - free.

They has one Chocoholic buffet at 10:30 pm - free.

I think this is it - you will have a lot of culinary options.

wow thanks

thats exactly what i was looking for :)

as far as the weather

what are the usual temps around august

No way to predict, you need to be well prepared for a wide range of weather, from cold/wet to shorts weather, and you can experience it all on a one week Alaska cruise. Necessary- lined lightweight jacket, knit hat/gloves, rain gear, layers, 2 pair of walking shoes.

Archived